XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Little review after 2400km....

Just a little review, based on my very much non-professional opinion.

We picked up our X6M on November 14th. Our service advisor was (and always has been) AWESOME. We had just flown in from a holiday, and he met us at the airport at MIDNIGHT, brought us to the dealership, we signed the papers, and drove home. Talk about above and beyond the call of duty.

First impressions? Love the look. I wasn't convinced about the X6 in general when it first came out, but have now gotten used to it enough such that I like it. The front end is definitely more aggressive - more purposeful than the regular X6, and the rear is an improvement, as well. I believe BMW could have gone bigger with the exhaust tips - they do look a little weedy.

I can't comment on how the wheels look on the car, as we had the dealership install the OEM winter set up. I can say that the winter set up looks great - slightly weedy, but as I have said before, for prairie winters, aesthetics definitely take a back seat to winter performance.

Interior fit and finish are excellent. I would say superior to the Audi A7 considerably, and on par with Audi, in terms of function. Better than the equivalent Mercedes ML AMG overall. The updated iDrive is a massive improvement on the previous iteration - it is now very intuitive, whereas the last version simply left you wondering if BMW polled kindergarten children regarding how best to frustrate drivers. Overall, lots of positive stuff in the interior, without a doubt. Love the back up camera, and especially being given the choice between "sky-view", and remote camera. The back up "grid" display is actually very handy, and very accurate.

The seats are adequate. They are comfortable, but lack lateral support, methinks. A little more aggressive side bolsters would have been welcome, I think, and adjustability, a la the M3 seats (which I LOVE, being 160lbs), would have been a great idea, too - this is, after supposed to be an M version, no??

The heads up display is surprisingly great! I thought this was going to be an amusement, mainly, but it is actually rather functional. I like how the navigation directions are displayed - particularly the graphics bar that "counts down" relative distance to your next turn.

Will BMW ever figure out to make a display that works with polarized sunglasses???? The HUD all but disappears in this situation. Ick.

I must say I wish the exhaust sounded better - especially from within the cabin. From outside, when my wife takes off, there is a nice rumble, but it lacks that "je ne sais quoi" - I realize this is to a large extent a function of the turbo set-up, but here, I believe it could have been done better. When one is accelerating hard, the sound from within the vehicle sounds.... weird - not a growl, not a rasp - unfortunately, kind of like our vacuum cleaner - definitely not the "beat your chest, 'cuz I'm here, and I'm kickin' ass" kind of sound.

That said, acceleration is eye-opening. I honestly do believe that this thing accelerates harder from a standstill than our M3. One must recalibrate one's mind, when envisioning what a 5500lb behemoth can do in terms of get up and go. Have only tried launch control once - no fuss, no fishtailing... it just hooks up, and hurls you towards the horizon faster than you can say "sorry officer - I didn't realize I was going that hard".....
Overtaking on the highway is amazing. I must say that it is a minor annoyance how readily the X6 changes up gears - in sedate driving, it changes up at 1500rpm- often, I am finding that I am in too high a gear to accelerate as I would like, but don't wish to invoke a downshift, either - minor inconvenience, really. I realize mpg numbers are important, but... I find I drive in S mode frequently, just to avoid this. I would have to give the engine an enthusiastic two thumbs up..... but having said this, I must say that while the power is wonderful - addictive, even, I often find myself downshifting to pass, loving the power, but then wondering why the party is over already at 7000rpm, and I'm already having to upshift - more on this, later. Shifts, at least, are really crisp in sport mode - they seem to bang off almost as quickly as DCT, which is an achievement (and, I am thinking, it just may give me a downshift when braking hard.... unlike the M3, which has let me down on more than one occasion on the track). I am finding myself driving in sport mode more and more, all the time, as it is that much more enjoyable.
As I said, our winter wheels/tires are on the car right now, so I can't really comment on the various aspects of handling. I do like how the steering weights up, even with the winter rubber. Feedback isn't as precise as the M3 (which, by the same token, is less sensitive than our previous e46 M3, IMHO), but body roll is minimal for such a huge car, and I am wondering if I just MIGHT venture out on the track for shits and giggles this coming summer..... just to see

Overall rating? As a sporty SUV, I'd give it an A.

As an "M" vehicle? I'd give it a B-, for more than a couple reasons. Sure, the thing goes like shit through a goose in a straight line - especially when taking into consideration its not-inconsiderable heft. Having said that - when I accelerate in my M3, it is an aural, visceral, delight. One cannot help but love the engine wailing, as it hurls you ever forward. In the X6, I feel... kind of... detached. You know you're going hard, but the "pure joy" aspect of the experience is strangely diluted. The sound is strange - lessened, for lack of a better term. I may be in the minority, here, but I am just finding that a 7000 redline does not an M vehicle make.

Don't get me wrong. I believe that the XMs are an incredible achievement as a whole. I AM very much looking forward to the spring/summer, when we can get the summer rubber on there, which is why I refrain from commenting on handling aspects, and given the same choice, I would still recommend to my wife buying the X6M. She LOVES it. I do too, but it just does not give me that "man, I can't wait for the next drive" feeling, which occurs to me in the M3 (and even in the Z4M), even before I get out of the car.

Great SUV........ FABULOUS SUV, even.......

OK "M" vehicle. I'm thinking this one will NOT go down as a BMW classic.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by TTBear; 01-17-2010 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: I obviously can't spell.... :P
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 04:20 AM   #2
Andrew 912
//M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 - MR X6M

Good Review and great evaluation comparing to M3, I feel the same to your opinions as I also have M3 and X5M.
+1 on SUV is A and "M" is B
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
Andrew 912
//M addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E92 - MR X6M

+1
You are absolutely right BMW shall figure it out how to make a display on the Head Up Display works with polarized sunglasses.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Nice review!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I think the M version is cool but still think regular 50i has better exhaust sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
ZKA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 M

Well said... To me i find the drive sooo good for an "SUV" that i forget it is one at times, and in the back of my mind i keep thinking its like the other ///Ms and then i get disappointed. Don't get me wrong, its quite a piece of kit, and i love it, but as i say "heavy, but yu///Mmy!" In short, i wanted a steller "SUV," and no doubt it sure is one!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
DrEvil
In charge of Evil Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0

Garage List
2009 911 Targa 4S  [0.00]
2008 335xi cpe  [0.00]
2007 530xi  [0.00]
2006 Mustang  [0.00]
2001 Audi A8  [0.00]
1997 Subaru SVX  [0.00]
1985 Mustang  [0.00]
1982 Mustang II  [0.00]
Good review.

I agree wiith your point about lack of body roll. For me, at high speeds, this the element of handling that makes you feel like you are in a sport coupe. Initially, it is daunting and almost disorienting, then you get used to it and take advantage of it.

Changing lanes at 75mph feels like being in an E92.
--- Nav/USB/PDC/Sport/Premium/Cold Wthr|Yokohama ADVAN Sport|Raptor plates ---> SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the compliments, all....

I am by no means an overly accomplished driver. I've spent some time on a track, but, as with all drivers, it's a continual learning curve.

I can't wait until the spring/summer, when the summer rubber goes on, and I can then make some empirical comments regarding handling....

No doubt, this is an incredible machine...

Cheers!!!
      01-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I think the M version is cool but still think regular 50i has better exhaust sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
Unfortunately, this is true. the 50i DOES have a better exhaust note, methinks
      01-25-2010, 04:19 AM   #11
Hamed
Private