XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #1
chocobo1104
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 35i

X6 rattle problem for anyone else?

My X6 has rattles EVERYWHERE inside the car. Center console, side of the door both drivers and passenger side, back right of the car and front passenger area. Ive taken the car to dealership to try and address the problem many many times and new ones seem to come in everytime I fix one area. Does anyone else have this problem?

P.S. There is VERY ANNOYING rattle coming from inside of the woodtrim area of the driver's door area. (Apprently the wood trim on the door is loose?) Does anyone have any idea on how to access the inside of this wood trim? One time a mechanic at bmw told me they did something inside to remedy this problem and it seems its not fixed. I want to do this myself.)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocobo1104 View Post
My X6 has rattles EVERYWHERE inside the car. Center console, side of the door both drivers and passenger side, back right of the car and front passenger area. Ive taken the car to dealership to try and address the problem many many times and new ones seem to come in everytime I fix one area. Does anyone else have this problem?

P.S. There is VERY ANNOYING rattle coming from inside of the woodtrim area of the driver's door area. (Apprently the wood trim on the door is loose?) Does anyone have any idea on how to access the inside of this wood trim? One time a mechanic at bmw told me they did something inside to remedy this problem and it seems its not fixed. I want to do this myself.)
In my case (and this is the second X6 I own) both cars had the same rattle noise problem mostly coming from the rear hatch door cover, I found that the rear hatch plastic cover makes noises when is hot.....when is cold...when the chassis twists.... or when driving on a bumpy road, personally, never had issues with noises coming from the doors or dashboard trim.
The other plastic parts that rattle sometimes are the plastic covers that covers the bottom sides of the seats. Haven't done nothing yet.

I did some "tricks" in order to minimize as much as possible the rattling of the rear cargo hatch and the rear cargo cover.

Check the following pics for better understanding of what I did:

This first picture stopped the rattling from the cargo cover, I just put some one-side adhesive foam trim, like the one used to seal refrigerators, it really worked for me.

This second pic shows the same one-side adhesive foam trim placed all over the hatch cover perimeter, the idea was to avoid any "rubbing" between plastic and metal

This 3rd and final picture is the one that really made the difference, this is a back view of the rear hatch cover, I bought a roll of adhesive aluminum foil the one used to stop leaks from roofs (it has a black petroleum thick layer), I did cover almost the whole back of the plastic cover, the idea was to make it more heavy and also a solid feel, and the result was impressive
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda, bmw

my driver-side door jamb buzzes over any bumps (ex. changing lanes over those white bumps).
sounds like it's coming from right around the rear edge near the window beltline.

the noise stops if i either push out or pull in gently on the door.

haven't had it checked out by the dealership yet.

MOTEX- that's hard-core. nice work!

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

I think I sometimes get the same as somonster. The driver door would sometimes "buzz".

This happened after I opened the door panel and screwed around inside. Maybe I didn't put the cables back properly.

I totally feel everyone here. I cannot stand any rattling/buzzing noises when I am driving.. it ruins my driving mood..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
S2bear
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6 40D

My X6 is bad. been in the shop for 2 months out of 12 and still full of rattles and noises that shouldn't be there! It stinks like someone's let down a lilo in my face after all the gunk they've used to try and fix it - a pungent vinyl smell which gives you a headache after 1/2 hour. it's been pretty much rebuilt from B pillar forwards inside including a new dashboard and new passenger door card! now I have a whining sound coming from the drivetrain when the car is hot. it's a 40d and it has a lot of diesel clatter at low revs that non of the loaners I've been given, suffer from. The loaners are so refined by comparison. it's in the shop again now. To say that I'm hacked off is an understatement. I think the production line need a serious talking to on the quality control front (my dashboard left the factory crooked). It's just not very Munich.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
X6Amy
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

I am glad I am not the only one! No Door problems but we have a horrible rattle in the back I thought it was the seats but my friend tells me its coming from the plastic around the rear break light, something I am sure we can fix with a little sticky.

Also got caught out by a nasty pot hole and I now have an irritating noise inside the dash that I can't get to GRRR (Easily ignored with music though)!
      10-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix Convetible

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocobo1104 View Post

My dashboard rattles so bad that in order to cure the issue a new dashboard is needed. These cars are a real joke, BMW quality is getting worse and worse.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #8
beemarman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix Convetible

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerrantoss View Post
I think I sometimes get the same as somonster. The driver door would sometimes "buzz".

This happened after I opened the door panel and screwed around inside. Maybe I didn't put the cables back properly.

I totally feel everyone here. I cannot stand any rattling/buzzing noises when I am driving.. it ruins my driving mood..
I also get the buzzing from the passenger door card. I have upgraded the speakers, so maybe that's my fault. The whole car rattles really back, I would go as far as saying it's the worst BMW I have ever owned.

Read my thread to see what i mean.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603679
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

my entire car is rattle noise, start from the back, right side door pillar, dashboard, and under dashboard somewhere near brake pedal
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #10
pholexx
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6M

2010 BMW X6M rear hatch noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
In my case (and this is the second X6 I own) both cars had the same rattle noise problem mostly coming from the rear hatch door cover, I found that the rear hatch plastic cover makes noises when is hot.....when is cold...when the chassis twists.... or when driving on a bumpy road, personally, never had issues with noises coming from the doors or dashboard trim.
The other plastic parts that rattle sometimes are the plastic covers that covers the bottom sides of the seats. Haven't done nothing yet.

I did some "tricks" in order to minimize as much as possible the rattling of the rear cargo hatch and the rear cargo cover.

This first picture stopped the rattling from the cargo cover, I just put some one-side adhesive foam trim, like the one used to seal refrigerators, it really worked for me.

This second pic shows the same one-side adhesive foam trim placed all over the hatch cover perimeter, the idea was to avoid any "rubbing" between plastic and metal

This 3rd and final picture is the one that really made the difference, this is a back view of the rear hatch cover, I bought a roll of adhesive aluminum foil the one used to stop leaks from roofs (it has a black petroleum thick layer), I did cover almost the whole back of the plastic cover, the idea was to make it more heavy and also a solid feel, and the result was impressive
Hi MOTEX, thanks for the detailed instructions! I have the same exact issue with noise coming from the rear hatch of my 2010 X6M, and it's annoying as hell. Can you please re-share the 3 pics you originally posted? For whatever reason they don't appear on the Bimmerpost site. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #11
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholexx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post

Hi MOTEX, thanks for the detailed instructions! I have the same exact issue with noise coming from the rear hatch of my 2010 X6M, and it's annoying as hell. Can you please re-share the 3 pics you originally posted? For whatever reason they don't appear on the Bimmerpost site. Thanks!
Sorry for that, i will try to find those pictures for you
      02-02-2019, 06:07 AM   #12
peter2772000
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6 35i Sport

FYI, our 2012 has never had any rattle issues at all
2019 4Runner
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 06:39 AM   #13
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

2013 Rattle free... that’s saying something when factoring in the cratered roads here... with more spring thaw fun to come...I feel Blesssed...
Appreciate 0