XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
TurnOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

N63 dilemma - What do you think?

2012 X5 50i 130k miles M sport. CCP @45k and Valve stem seals done by dealer at around 90k miles under CPO. Turbo wastegate rattles are obvious. Beginning to burn oil again....

I know this topic has been beaten on forever but wanted to ask what you guys think about what I should do. Ideally I would like to keep it for another 2-3 years but don't think the truck will last that long. Option 1: Sell or trade in for something else. Option 2: With the diminished cost of a reman N63 engine (~3500 from what I'm reading) and new turbos, is it financially feasible to swap engines, turbos and replace hoses, lines while I have everything out and hope this will buy me another 2-3 years. I average about 15-17k miles per year.

I'm not sure how much Option 2 will cost me but I'm guessing 7-9k? The other thing concerns me is other items will break along the way e.g. transmission, etc Overall it's in good shape at the moment but I feel like something can go wrong at any time. Alternatively, getting a "new" vehicle would cost me much more but I will have a newer vehicle. What are your thoughts
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Wow, you must live at the gas pump doing that mileage a year on a 50i

Tough call, but I'd have trouble spending 7-9K on a vehicle that is only worth about 15-18K right now. I'd almost just drive it until it becomes obvious that is needs replacement. Even with a replacement motor it's value is going to decline further over the next 2-3 years, there's just so few people that want to get into these vehicles, especially a real high mileage one.

Just my .02.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Sort of agree, except if you LOVE the car, and the motor, it might be a good call to put a new motor in it especially if the rest of the car is in fine shape. (I have exact same vehicle and its still in excellent shape).
The biggest issue won't be the cost if you go that route - it will be GETTING a new motor to spend your money on. Several folks here have been granted new motors as part of the ongoing class action suit but they are not expecting to get them for many months.
So there's that to consider.

I am thinking through the same thing, though I have no immediate concerns... I do love the vehicle, and would skip the gen in the middle and go for a new one IF I decided to give mine up - but only can afford a used/CPO of the new gen, so 2-3 years from now.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
TurnOne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Well I'm a fan of Costco gas and it's been around $2 - 2.20gal for me. I think I can live with that. I got a trade estimate for ~$7k at a BMW dealer so I may as well end up keeping it for as long as I can until the next big repair then I'll kick myself for not selling it already. I see the turbos going next and that will cost 2-3k along with associated hoses. Obviously this is taking up too much of my time.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnOne View Post
Well I'm a fan of Costco gas and it's been around $2 - 2.20gal for me. I think I can live with that. I got a trade estimate for ~$7k at a BMW dealer so I may as well end up keeping it for as long as I can until the next big repair then I'll kick myself for not selling it already. I see the turbos going next and that will cost 2-3k along with associated hoses. Obviously this is taking up too much of my time.
If you are getting 7k for this money pit, trade it in before you spend another 7-9k on it and its value becomes 3-4k. Its all going to go downhill.

Remember Humpty Dumpty and all the Kings men could not put him back together again.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
TKR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e & 2018 330e

Keep it. I've also been thinking what's the most cost effective way to go with the E70 50i.

Resale value has dropped dramatically in last 3 years, and will keep dropping BUT not as fast anymore as we get close to 10-13k number. (private sales cases).

Upgrading to F15 would be even worse choice since new 2019 gen is out and F15 prices are in free fall during next years.

I'm able to diy and eBay is full of good working parts for these cars. For example turbos around $400 each in good working condition from part out vehicles.

I've got really good cash offers for my car but didn't want to sell. I sold our X3 F25 35i instead because it was boring, and E70 50i is much better to drive on highways.

And because I want 7-seater which is great to drive and pulls 0-60 in close to 5sec, there aren't many other options on the market for me. Lol.
Appreciate 0