XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-04-2019, 03:42 AM   #1
airbornesigs
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2013 E71 BMW X6M

Wheels Freezing in Minus Temperatures?

Hi Guys,

Such a strange thing started happening to my car this year, we had -5 down to -7 and snow which we have had in previous years without any effect to my car. This year however when I get into the vehicle I switch on the ignition and put the car into drive I put my foot on the gas and the car wont move, i then switch to reverse and try I rev the engine to around 2000 and again back into drive until something makes a kind of loud snapping sound and the wheels begin to turn.

It is like the wheels are actually frozen solid, or rather like the pads are frozen to the discs that is how I would describe it.

I am pretty sure it shouldn't be doing this... I have the car in next week for new discs and pads all around as it is due and so I will update following this to say if it is still happening.

Strange Huh? has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Actually tomorrow morning Ill post a video If I can.

Vehicle is 2013 E71 BMW X6M LCI
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

We have two vehicles that sit outside year round...one an X3... neither the rotors or tires freeze up... so far we have had -30C and no problems...Sounds like something seized...when you do your brakes... and clean everything... Hopefully that’s the end of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 05:47 AM   #3
peter2772000
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X6 35i Sport

It's happened to me once or twice throughout my 40+ years of driving. No biggie, but I didn't have to put it in reverse. It sorta strained a bit and with enough throttle, broke free and made that loud snap sound. The temps were way colder than -7* F though.

Also happened once on my quad in -25*F temps. We'd parked outside while having a bite to eat. Came back out and it wouldn't budge. The other two quads had no issues, but we had to pry the tires off the ground to get going again. Strangest thing...
2019 4Runner
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
airbornesigs
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2013 E71 BMW X6M

Thanks for your comments guys, I'll let you know how it behaves when we changed the discs and brakes. Its almost like and I know this surely cant be possible but like the bearings have frozen solid.. really strange thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #5
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

I have had this happen to a few vehicles that I own, and the worst has been Subaru Sti brakes. From everything floating around online about it, it has a bit to do with the tight clearances on the Brembo brakes, and the pad material being more prone to "freeze" to the rotor. After the initial scary bang, and usually in reverse, it is is fine.
Appreciate 0