XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-07-2023, 04:49 AM   #1
cornflakes8
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 E70

Exclamation Parking brake 'snapped' and car rolled

Good evening folks,

Had a bit of an incident today and just wanted to hear from others' experiences with the 'parking brake failure'.

I had come home and parked in the driveway in gear (PARK) with the parking brake applied. Was unloading groceries and faffing around the car for about 10 minutes. Then I suddenly hear a snap/pop/cracking sound (which was the sound of the parking brake releasing) and the car started rolling a bit down the driveway as it's on an incline. Luckily it wasn't too steep and I was at the driver's door so jumped in.

I now have the following error message on the idrive:

So what gives and how did the parking brake just give out like that? I've read some other posts where people have had the 'parking brake failure' message but they always had their parking brake stuck on.

I've tried the soft reset methods but they don't work. Pressing the parking brake button does nothing and I don't hear any noises coming from the actuator. Can't seem to access the CHASSIS>PARKING BRAKE module in INPA or ISTA either (but I have issues connecting to a bunch of modules as it is so that could be why).

I'll at some point remove the actuator and open it up to have a look.

If I do need to go down the route of replacing the actuator, is it a simple 'plug n play' or do I need to do some sort of coding or reset the module?

If someone has any servicing info on the parking/drum brakes etc that would be great as I'll probably pull off the rotors to have a look while I'm at it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 11:31 AM   #2
analbumcover
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5 35i

subscribing to keep an eye...

but...if the vehicle is is park, how did it roll away???
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 04:06 AM   #3
cornflakes8
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by analbumcover View Post
subscribing to keep an eye...

but...if the vehicle is is park, how did it roll away???
The driveway is on a semi steep incline. It didn't roll that far though, only a foot or so.

Anyway, I found a thread here (https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1080272) with the same fault codes I'm getting and apparently the ends of the bowden cables can break off. I'm assuming that's what's happened as I heard it just 'snap' and the tension was suddenly released. I'll take everything apart in the next week and give an update.

Photo of broken bowden cable from the thread I mentioned:
Appreciate 0