XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-02-2021, 02:09 AM   #1
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Jumped my X5M. Broke suspension pieces

Yeah, it was fun, but some strange looking pieces snapped off. Drives Ok though. The broken pieces are super light and don't seem to affect anything. Are they essential to replace?

video:

Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      01-02-2021, 06:47 AM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

That looks like one of the rear subframe/suspension mounts that wraps around one of the main support bushings. Look under the truck by the rear sway bar and you should see the damage.

You seem surprised you broke something after jumping a 5300lb SUV that was never made to off-road let alone jump asphalt?

I am all for doing crazy shit and having and fun, God knows I did even crazier stunts then this when I was a young bored redneck growing up in the Arizona desert BUT it was with old junkers that would never see city streets or share the road with other cars. Damaging a car like this can cause major suspension damage (like what you just did) that can fail without warning. You are not only putting yourself at risk but the safety of others around you.

If a redneck like me is giving you safety advice, you really need to take a step back and question yourself...

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 01-02-2021 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 2
Nyc Dito112.50
      01-02-2021, 07:23 AM   #3
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post

If a redneck like me...
but not just ANY redneck, a sophisticated one
      01-02-2021, 07:28 AM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
but not just ANY redneck, a sophisticated one

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 01-02-2021 at 07:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #5
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5M/Ford Raptor/19 BMW i3

I can't say I've ever even thought about jumping my X5M... It honestly took it better than I thought it would. As Sophisticated Redneck said, X5Ms are definitely not designed for this kind of driving. I think if you dig into the suspension a bit more, you may find other things damaged or bent out of alignment.

As a side note, I just bought a ford raptor a couple of weeks ago and had to do a double take on which forum I was browsing when I saw the words "jumped my...".
2019 i3
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 05:01 PM   #6
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
That looks like one of the rear subframe/suspension mounts that wraps around one of the main support bushings. Look under the truck by the rear sway bar and you should see the damage.

You seem surprised you broke something after jumping a 5300lb SUV that was never made to off-road let alone jump asphalt?

I am all for doing crazy shit and having and fun, God knows I did even crazier stunts then this when I was a young bored redneck growing up in the Arizona desert BUT it was with old junkers that would never see city streets or share the road with other cars. Damaging a car like this can cause major suspension damage (like what you just did) that can fail without warning. You are not only putting yourself at risk but the safety of others around you.

If a redneck like me is giving you safety advice, you really need to take a step back and question yourself...

haha. Yep true, I guess I haven't grown out of my crazy stunt phase yet. I did a much higher jump with it before, but it nose dived really hard, and I didn't get it on video. It lands really hard, and nose dives quickly, so not sure if I'll do that again. But it does drive better now, though, those brackets seemed to hold the air bags in place so it would have no travel, but now it seems at least a bit better. I'm going to take a look at what else happened though...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 07:37 AM   #7
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

But they do it on the commercial!

(:17 Mark)
      01-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #8
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
I dunno, I’ve never jumped my X5M (yet) but I have taken it off road it did okay and nothing broke. The trail was in Big Bend National Park (high clearance 4x4 only), and we had to wait 30 minutes before we could go down the trail as..... queue sad trombone we had to wait for a shitty driver to backup his new ram power wagon and trailer down the trail cause it was too rough lol. He had two spotters to help, the park ranger said to us, damn I wish I could take over his truck and back it for him.

We made it 5 miles down the trail while towing a 22ft trailer to a back country campsite no problem. Though with the holes, washboards and other trail features it was very slow. It’s interesting watching your trailer begin to bunny hop. Of course you stop when it starts.

I’ve done a lot of things with my X5M most owners won’t do. It’s not indestructible but it can do more than you think.

Redneck you are correct the x5m is not meant for off road use. I wouldn’t recommend it. But it can if your careful. We did wave at another e70 going the opposite way. The tires are all wrong, the suspension too stiff. It’s a 4 car on a 4-40 trail.

Last edited by Thecastle; 01-03-2021 at 08:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 03:43 PM   #9
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
I dunno, I’ve never jumped my X5M (yet) but I have taken it off road it did okay and nothing broke. The trail was in Big Bend National Park (high clearance 4x4 only), and we had to wait 30 minutes before we could go down the trail as..... queue sad trombone we had to wait for a shitty driver to backup his new ram power wagon and trailer down the trail cause it was too rough lol. He had two spotters to help, the park ranger said to us, damn I wish I could take over his truck and back it for him.

We made it 5 miles down the trail while towing a 22ft trailer to a back country campsite no problem. Though with the holes, washboards and other trail features it was very slow. It’s interesting watching your trailer begin to bunny hop. Of course you stop when it starts.

I’ve done a lot of things with my X5M most owners won’t do. It’s not indestructible but it can do more than you think.

Redneck you are correct the x5m is not meant for off road use. I wouldn’t recommend it. But it can if your careful. We did wave at another e70 going the opposite way. The tires are all wrong, the suspension too stiff. It’s a 4 car on a 4-40 trail.

I think those suspension pieces that broke, were already corroded. It's a thin aluminum it looks like. Oh, and I lowered it b4, so it does land a bit harshly.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 07:32 PM   #10
dbldare
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Pretty sure it's your Radius Rod.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-6...uine-bmw-part/

Mine was cracked and the nice folks here helped me find out what it was.

good luck
dbl
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 08:27 PM   #11
eDubz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by laselvasurf View Post
I can't say I've ever even thought about jumping my X5M... It honestly took it better than I thought it would. As Sophisticated Redneck said, X5Ms are definitely not designed for this kind of driving. I think if you dig into the suspension a bit more, you may find other things damaged or bent out of alignment.

As a side note, I just bought a ford raptor a couple of weeks ago and had to do a double take on which forum I was browsing when I saw the words "jumped my...".
How does the Raptor compare to the X5M? I know it's a different animal, but I kinda need the utility of a pickup truck but still want sporty handling and performance...

2013 X3 35i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:46 AM   #12
digitys
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Raptor

I have had multiple F150's, currently have our '12 X5 50i and a '19 F150. They are not even the same in anyway. In my opinion the F150 is way better vehicle all around. Utility, space for family (super crew) and overall MPG.

The raptor is "designed" to hit and withstand a curb at 45mph.

The X5 is nothing more than an overpriced city vehicle that is way too heavy. With that said, I love the handling and the power. Nice comfort for long trips but if I had my way, I would just have the F150.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 10:57 AM   #13
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDubz View Post
How does the Raptor compare to the X5M? I know it's a different animal, but I kinda need the utility of a pickup truck but still want sporty handling and performance...
The closest thing to a "sport-y" on road truck in my opinion would be a RAM TRX. The Raptor is more of a dedicated desert runner, but its a bit compromised for on road performance.

Going to a pickup is pretty much as far away from sporty handling as you possibly can go in the auto world lol. Like all vehicles pickups are a compromise. With their body on frame designs, high center of gravity, poor visibility and high weights, you give up handling capability. There is a reason F1 cars are low to the ground, light weight and have unibody monocock designs. In terms of utility you loose too in the amount of weatherproof / theft proof storage as compared to an SUV.

I have a Ford F-450 and to me a pickup only makes sense when you live on a farm/ranch, have a large trailer you tow frequently, or can make money from it. Otherwise they're one of the least reliable and most expensive vehicles to own. Contractors don't use pickups, too much theft risk, they all use VANs or beat up old SUVs. Unless your the owner..

Last edited by Thecastle; 01-15-2021 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 12:54 AM   #14
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post
Pretty sure it's your Radius Rod.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-6...uine-bmw-part/

Mine was cracked and the nice folks here helped me find out what it was.

good luck
dbl
Yep, that's it thanks! Mine was already corroded and cracked on one. But both sides broke, LOL. And, when I drift it now, it's very unstable, so probably those pieces will help with that.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 12:57 AM   #15
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitys View Post
I have had multiple F150's, currently have our '12 X5 50i and a '19 F150. They are not even the same in anyway. In my opinion the F150 is way better vehicle all around. Utility, space for family (super crew) and overall MPG.

The raptor is "designed" to hit and withstand a curb at 45mph.

The X5 is nothing more than an overpriced city vehicle that is way too heavy. With that said, I love the handling and the power. Nice comfort for long trips but if I had my way, I would just have the F150.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind one of those. Someone took one to the track a few weeks b4 I took my x5M. Are the rims like seriously solid? I bent mine very badly with over aggressive stunting yet again. So, just bought a new set of x5 rims as at least one was bent seriously.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 08:32 AM   #16
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't mind one of those. Someone took one to the track a few weeks b4 I took my x5M. Are the rims like seriously solid? I bent mine very badly with over aggressive stunting yet again. So, just bought a new set of x5 rims as at least one was bent seriously.
Low profile tires are the problem.

The raptor has huge doughnuts with lots of sidewall to soften the impact. Doubt the rims are significantly stronger, just more sidewall. It is a ford after all.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #17
laselvasurf
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X5M/Ford Raptor/19 BMW i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDubz View Post
I love the Raptor. I bought a gen 1(2013) as I like the V8 for the sound, simplicity and reliability over the newer TT V6s. It's a completely different driving experience than any BMW. I have King 3.0 shocks and a bunch of other suspension upgrades, so it's extremely comfortable both on and off road. The body roll is something that takes a lot to get used to... It seriously feels like it's going to roll when you take a corner at speed, especially if you're breaking or accelerating through it. Once you get the feel for it though, it's actually a very capable vehicle.

Quote:
The closest thing to a "sport-y" on road truck in my opinion would be a RAM TRX. The Raptor is more of a dedicated desert runner, but its a bit compromised for on road performance.

Going to a pickup is pretty much as far away from sporty handling as you possibly can go in the auto world lol. Like all vehicles pickups are a compromise. With their body on frame designs, high center of gravity, poor visibility and high weights, you give up handling capability. There is a reason F1 cars are low to the ground, light weight and have unibody monocock designs. In terms of utility you loose too in the amount of weatherproof / theft proof storage as compared to an SUV.

I have a Ford F-450 and to me a pickup only makes sense when you live on a farm/ranch, have a large trailer you tow frequently, or can make money from it. Otherwise they're one of the least reliable and most expensive vehicles to own. Contractors don't use pickups, too much theft risk, they all use VANs or beat up old SUVs. Unless your the owner..

I actually disagree with you about the raptor being a dedicated desert runner. While they are extremely capable off road, they are IMHO the most capable comfortable trucks on the road. I haven't driven a TRX, so I don't know how it compares, but I know a few people that buy raptors just because they are so comfortable. The roads around me are quite bad, lots of pot holes and the like. The raptor doesn't flinch when you hit a massive pot hole at 50mph+. If I was in my X5M, it would need a new tire, wheel and alignment. The newer TT V6 Raptors are also pretty dang quick off the line and once you get used to the squishy suspension, they handle quite well.
Attached Images

2019 i3
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      01-24-2021, 11:46 AM   #18
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Quote:
There is a reason F1 cars are low to the ground, light weight and have unibody monocock designs.
I am monocock too
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 09:30 PM   #19
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Low profile tires are the problem.

The raptor has huge doughnuts with lots of sidewall to soften the impact. Doubt the rims are significantly stronger, just more sidewall. It is a ford after all.
Well, do you think I should keep this X5M or what? It's got 77K miles on it, as of now, warranty expires in July. I think I can just purchase another warranty, as they warranty cars up to 20 years old, LOL. But, after I jumped it a few times, it does turn left now, and I feel a slight vibration, and that's even after brand new x5m rims and tires. I was going to get an alignment, just to see if that would help, but probably not. Is engine failure a huge concern? I hear people havin their motors die at 130?K miles, so I'm halfway there, and it's still a blast to drive, so I was thinking of keeping it. Although, I've been saving up and still want to get a 2018 X5M when I have enough $$. What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:03 AM   #20
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
Well, do you think I should keep this X5M or what? It's got 77K miles on it, as of now, warranty expires in July. I think I can just purchase another warranty, as they warranty cars up to 20 years old, LOL. But, after I jumped it a few times, it does turn left now, and I feel a slight vibration, and that's even after brand new x5m rims and tires. I was going to get an alignment, just to see if that would help, but probably not. Is engine failure a huge concern? I hear people havin their motors die at 130?K miles, so I'm halfway there, and it's still a blast to drive, so I was thinking of keeping it. Although, I've been saving up and still want to get a 2018 X5M when I have enough $$. What do you guys think?
I can’t answer if you should keep the X5m or not, lots of factors. But I read it looks like you have a new car itch and that won’t be scratched by keep the X5M.

I will say my ford has been far less reliable than my X5M recently. All kinds of stuff break on it and because it’s a diesel it’s very expensive to fix just like the M. Glad I bought the “reliable” Powerstroke the 7.3. Lol I the last 8 weeks I’ve spent nearly 8k in repairs. New fly wheel, starter, oil cooler, 4 new injectors, new fuel tank, new fuel pickup, new valve cover, new glow plugs, and etc. It kind of never ends with fords. The e70 is not a reliable bmw. But pickups consistently rank in consumer reports as significantly below average in reliability. The tundra and Tacoma are ranked the most reliable and they only score average for reliability. So don’t buy a pickup if reliability is your concern. Only buy a pickup if you like them, have a farm, a big trailer, or can make money with them. Otherwise their the reason most middle class Americans struggle finically. My ford dealer you have to wait weeks for an appointment.... my bmw dealer is same day...

In the end the x5m is a completely different beast than a pickup. A pickup with soft suspension and big sidewalls will be able to hit a pot hole at 50mph without damage. So while a Chevy caprice, or an oldmobile cutless. If you’ve ever lived in farm country, people fly down unpaved roads at 70 in old American cars no problem no pickups needed. Soft floaty suspension and big sidewalls are an American car thing. But shiver me timber’s your at sea on pavement. European cars are designed with small twisty roads with good pavement. Americans are designed for straight wide, low speed limit roads with sub par maintenance. Different goals.

The x5m tries to be a sports car...... it’s fun in the average driving conditions most people encounter, aka traffic, low speed limits, and cop infested roads. But a sports car isn’t needed on our roads, just enjoyed

Last edited by Thecastle; 02-16-2021 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:25 PM   #21
digitys
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

I’ve owned four f150’s over the years. Older 5.4, two 3.5 ecoboosts and now the 2.7. These have always been my lowest maintenance vehicles. Tires, oil changes and brakes. I have racked hundreds of thousands of miles as they my work horses.

All of my European cars, minis and bmws are nothing but headaches in comparison. But nothing else drives like them.

I will always argue for American truck if you can afford the initial cost and slightly higher fuel costs, I say slightly as the ecoboosts get seriously good fuel mileage and still perform great as a tow pig and workhorse. As well as the space inside a vehicle. You can throw an entire full size fridge in the back seat. But it drives as described above. Slow, smooth and gushy suspension.

Anyways, just my thoughts. I love the X5 for the power, smooth ride on the freeway and overall comfort.

Can we please talk about the freakin running boards on it though?! What a pain in the ass getting in and out of the vehicle!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #22
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitys View Post
I’ve owned four f150’s over the years. Older 5.4, two 3.5 ecoboosts and now the 2.7. These have always been my lowest maintenance vehicles. Tires, oil changes and brakes. I have racked hundreds of thousands of miles as they my work horses.

All of my European cars, minis and bmws are nothing but headaches in comparison. But nothing else drives like them.

I will always argue for American truck if you can afford the initial cost and slightly higher fuel costs, I say slightly as the ecoboosts get seriously good fuel mileage and still perform great as a tow pig and workhorse. As well as the space inside a vehicle. You can throw an entire full size fridge in the back seat. But it drives as described above. Slow, smooth and gushy suspension.

Anyways, just my thoughts. I love the X5 for the power, smooth ride on the freeway and overall comfort.

Can we please talk about the freakin running boards on it though?! What a pain in the ass getting in and out of the vehicle!
Running boards? LOL. Don't have em on mine. I think the new ones don't have them either. Yeah, the reason I bought the x5m was that I was seriously considering a muscle car or vette, but the wife said she wanted a bimmer. So, I knew nothing about bmw's and just started searching for the nicest looking x5 I could find. And, when I saw that it had 550HP, I was sold, LOL. Overall thumbs up for me. A warranty is a must, as I did try to cheap out, and started fixing things myself, but since the parts are either dealer only or online, the parts I ordered failed immediately, as they were from eBay, dohhh. So, I had to eventually buy the real OEM parts to save me the frustration of replacing things twice. But, it's been reliable for about 5 months now, so maybe I'm in the clear for a while. Still got warranty till August tho. I'm going to see how much it is for another 3 year extension.
Appreciate 0