XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-29-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
Alohaaaaa
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi

Garage List
Need help picking an X5

Hey all!

I am currently looking for a new daily, and a practical one at that, as I'm tired of putting 120km a day on my M3 (new job, other side of the city from me).

I have currently narrowed it down to three different E70s.

There is a 2010 35d, with 99,000km on it. Black in color, fairly basic, but has the options I need. The downside is, the lower lift gate has scuffs from the previous owner, and there is one door dent. The asking price on it is 27.9k CAD. I am a giant fan of the diesels, and would be doing a DPF/SCR delete, EGR blockoff and a tune with this one.

The second is a 2008 48i with 99,000km on it. Also black. Obviously older, has the primitive CCC iDrive, but packs that su-weeeet NA V8 that just keeps going. This vehicle is very optioned out, minus HUD (which is good, I cant stand HUD). They are asking 22k CAD for it.

The final, a 2012 35i with 86k on it. Dark grey in color. Fairly optioned out again, and an LCI obviously. I am not the biggest fan of running a boosted gas L6 in a SUV, but working for BMW, I have driven the LCI E70 with the N55, and it seems to pull well. They want 29k for this one.

I have 0 interest in the 50i's, so there will be no mention of them here.

What would you folk choose?

I am looking for optimal economy, with good power. My M3 does about 11L/100km during my commute, so anything less then that is gravy. I have seen that the 35i can be quite amazing economy wise, due to the new 8 speed. And I know that the 35d is naturally quite good, especially after a tune and emissions system delete. I have not been around the N55 long enough to know it's long term reliability however, and due to the high price of injectors/coils/etc, this concerns me.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
2008 Sparkling Grey Metallic 135i 6MT - JB4 G5 - MHD Race BEF - N54Tuning DP's - ER Chargepipe/w HKS SSQV - Coolingmist Progressive Meth - MMP Hot Side Inlets - AFE Exhaust - Seconday Cat Delete - AMS FMIC - BMS Catch Can - Rob Beck PCV - LUX 160 AE
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 07:02 AM   #2
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

hey kyle, welcome to the xbimmers I say go for the 35d if you want fuel economy. Don't bother with the 48i, those are too old and have more problems than they should.

PS, this is the X6 section, X5 section is lower down
Appreciate 0