XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-15-2021, 05:08 PM   #1
Blivit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Alternator or PS pump noise?

2013 35i. 74,xxx miles

I have this annoying, "wind up toy" grinding-ish noise coming from the drivers side. It is rpm dependent, so gets higher pitch when the rpm's go up. Turning the steering wheel does not affect the sound at all. I have no charging issues and no steering issues.

It started a few months ago honestly and I ignored it. Over time it has gotten progressively louder. When driving, it really sounds like an old wind up toy. It is definitely coming from the alternator, power steering pump area but with how close they are I can't tell which one it is. PS fluid level was a little low but not dry. I don't see any signs of leaks but I did top the reservoir off (no change in sound.)

Any idea how I can determine where this is coming from?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 01:52 AM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blivit View Post
2013 35i. 74,xxx miles

I have this annoying, "wind up toy" grinding-ish noise coming from the drivers side. It is rpm dependent, so gets higher pitch when the rpm's go up. Turning the steering wheel does not affect the sound at all. I have no charging issues and no steering issues.

It started a few months ago honestly and I ignored it. Over time it has gotten progressively louder. When driving, it really sounds like an old wind up toy. It is definitely coming from the alternator, power steering pump area but with how close they are I can't tell which one it is. PS fluid level was a little low but not dry. I don't see any signs of leaks but I did top the reservoir off (no change in sound.)

Any idea how I can determine where this is coming from?
I would recommend you pick up an automotive stethoscope to help you narrow down what its coming from. Harbor Freight or an auto part store carry them (Amazon has them too).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Blivit14.00
      11-08-2021, 12:12 PM   #3
Blivit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Bringing this back up with my solution. I did end up getting a stethoscope but still couldn't pinpoint the noise. After some more reading and a burning rubber type smell, I thought it may be one of the idler pulleys. Belt was original so I bought one along with a tensioner and idler pulleys from FCPeuro and changed everything out this weekend. Sound gone.

Discovered I have some decent oil leakage on the passenger side (valve cover gasket?) up high and at the back of the engine near the bottom (oil pan gasket?) Oil filter housing seems ok.

But at least my noises are gone!
Appreciate 0