XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-07-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
E70_X5_
Rep
Drives: E70 X5

Exclamation AWD and DSC Malfunction

Hello, my 2010 X5 4.8 has been having an issue recently where i get the infamous AWD and DSC malfunction. When i researched the code I found most people said the issue stems from the Battery or the Steering Angle Sensor. Going back, I had a battery discharge error when starting the car around a week ago. So a few days ago i picked up an Autozone Battery, and installed and coded it myself. After driving it for a bit the issue seemed to be gone, but it came right back when driving on the highway and once in a blue moon when directly starting the car.

After that i tested the battery at Autozone, it returned "bad battery", so replaced it and recoded again today. As soon as i turned the ignition to the ON postion, i got the dreaded AWD and DSC Malfunction along with a DBC Malfunction and a Start/Off Inactive error. But when i did test the alternator it seemed to fail the Diode test, not sure if thats because i connected the negative cable from the tester to a metal support bar in the front of the car. But from my understanding negative can be any piece of metal, as long as no electric current is running through it.

I then pulled codes earlier today and this is where i am at.

VTG Transfer Case
55C3/not present
VTG:AWD Limp-Mode control activated. No DSC specified nominal torque.

55D0/not present
Message (steering wheel angle, 0xC4) error, receiver VTG, transmitter DSC.

ABS-DSC Dynamic Stability Control
5F2F/not present
DSC: Transmission interface

5F45/not present
DSC: Brake-fluid level too low

6F4E/not present
No message (EMF, 0x201). receiver DSC, transmitter DSC

6EC4/not present
DSC: steering-angle sensor, adjustment

I currently am at a situation where i think it is the alternator over the steering angle sensor, as i never had the steering angle issue before the battery issues started to occur, but am not 100% sure and could use some advice here. I also checked Tire Pressure, checked Brake Fluid, tried resetting steering by turning all the way to left and right, but issue comes back always. It is a lot more persistent now, than it was a few days ago.Any help would be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
jcattletown
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by E70_X5_ View Post
Hello, my 2010 X5 4.8 has been having an issue recently where i get the infamous AWD and DSC malfunction. When i researched the code I found most people said the issue stems from the Battery or the Steering Angle Sensor. Going back, I had a battery discharge error when starting the car around a week ago. So a few days ago i picked up an Autozone Battery, and installed and coded it myself. After driving it for a bit the issue seemed to be gone, but it came right back when driving on the highway and once in a blue moon when directly starting the car.

After that i tested the battery at Autozone, it returned "bad battery", so replaced it and recoded again today. As soon as i turned the ignition to the ON postion, i got the dreaded AWD and DSC Malfunction along with a DBC Malfunction and a Start/Off Inactive error. But when i did test the alternator it seemed to fail the Diode test, not sure if thats because i connected the negative cable from the tester to a metal support bar in the front of the car. But from my understanding negative can be any piece of metal, as long as no electric current is running through it.

I then pulled codes earlier today and this is where i am at.

VTG Transfer Case
55C3/not present
VTG:AWD Limp-Mode control activated. No DSC specified nominal torque.

55D0/not present
Message (steering wheel angle, 0xC4) error, receiver VTG, transmitter DSC.

ABS-DSC Dynamic Stability Control
5F2F/not present
DSC: Transmission interface

5F45/not present
DSC: Brake-fluid level too low

6F4E/not present
No message (EMF, 0x201). receiver DSC, transmitter DSC

6EC4/not present
DSC: steering-angle sensor, adjustment

I currently am at a situation where i think it is the alternator over the steering angle sensor, as i never had the steering angle issue before the battery issues started to occur, but am not 100% sure and could use some advice here. I also checked Tire Pressure, checked Brake Fluid, tried resetting steering by turning all the way to left and right, but issue comes back always. It is a lot more persistent now, than it was a few days ago.Any help would be much appreciated
Turning steering wheel all the way left and right is needed to reset the steering angle sensor. All the other faulty codes could be due to battery replacement. Go ahead and erase all faulty codes and see if they come back.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 10:31 PM   #3
E70_X5_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcattletown View Post
Turning steering wheel all the way left and right is needed to reset the steering angle sensor. All the other faulty codes could be due to battery replacement. Go ahead and erase all faulty codes and see if they come back.
I have reset the codes a few times and they all come back. As well as tried resetting the steering angle sensor each time, nothing seemed to work.

Just picked up a new alternator, hopefully that will fix the issue. Not a lot of info on how to DIY it though...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 08:02 PM   #4
jcattletown
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I have reset the codes a few times and they all come back. As well as tried resetting the steering angle sensor each time, nothing seemed to work.

Just picked up a new alternator, hopefully that will fix the issue. Not a lot of info on how to DIY it though...
Why do you think it is the alternator? Have you measured voltage when engine is running? If it is around 14.7V, the alternator should be working.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #5
E70_X5_
Rep

Quote:
Why do you think it is the alternator? Have you measured voltage when engine is running? If it is around 14.7V, the alternator should be working.
I thought it was the alternator as I had pulled the codes earlier this week and got the following. I also had the battery discharge error before replacing battery. And testing at autozone, to which i got a result that the Diodes failed.

23BD DME:No BSD message from alternator

2DEB DME:Power Management, vehicle electrical system.

Assumed that the alternator was messed up in some way, so i replaced it today, first drive was perfect. Waited a few hours drove again and got the AWD and DSC issue once again. Now im pulling the following codes only...

55C3 VTG AWD limp-home control activated. No DSC specified nominal torque.

5F2F DSC Transmission: interface

A8BC FRM:Mini:Side market light at front right or rear left faulty.

Checked tranny fluid after and it was at maximum level. I do notice issues with shifting, seems a bit delayed when driving and rpms are low. When the issue comes, it is usually when accelerating to get onto a highway, most on the time around a very slight corner.

I am really confused here and not really too sure where to troubleshoot from this point on . I could replace the steering angle sensor, but i dont have a code for it anymore. Not really sure what to do here, and dont want to get charged a crazy amount by the dealer so they can throw parts, if i do throw parts, its much cheaper if i do the work on my own.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:08 PM   #6
jcattletown
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I thought it was the alternator as I had pulled the codes earlier this week and got the following. I also had the battery discharge error before replacing battery. And testing at autozone, to which i got a result that the Diodes failed.

23BD DME:No BSD message from alternator

2DEB DME:Power Management, vehicle electrical system.

Assumed that the alternator was messed up in some way, so i replaced it today, first drive was perfect. Waited a few hours drove again and got the AWD and DSC issue once again. Now im pulling the following codes only...

Checked tranny fluid after and it was at maximum level. I do notice issues with shifting, seems a bit delayed when driving and rpms are low. When the issue comes, it is usually when accelerating to get onto a highway, most on the time around a very slight corner.

I am really confused here and not really too sure where to troubleshoot from this point on . I could replace the steering angle sensor, but i dont have a code for it anymore. Not really sure what to do here, and dont want to get charged a crazy amount by the dealer so they can throw parts, if i do throw parts, its much cheaper if i do the work on my own.
Have you cleared the codes again to see if they come back?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 10:48 PM   #7
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Hopefully the alternator works out. I've ordered new bushings and springs instead since I'm getting over-voltage issues in the mid 15's range. Twice now it's gotten so bad that the wipers wouldn't shut off, airbag errors, etc and this morning Rheingold wasn't reading all the modules even though everything is working after I clear them all.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #8
E70_X5_
Rep

Quote:
Have you cleared the codes again to see if they come back?
Yes i always clear the codes when re-testing. They have come back

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Hopefully the alternator works out. I've ordered new bushings and springs instead since I'm getting over-voltage issues in the mid 15's range. Twice now it's gotten so bad that the wipers wouldn't shut off, airbag errors, etc and this morning Rheingold wasn't reading all the modules even though everything is working after I clear them all.
Sad to say, but the alternator did not fix the problem. I think when a scanner cant/wont read the modules it has to do with an electrical, or some sort of problem with communication to that specific module.

The current codes i am pulling are:

C579 CIC: DVD medium fault.

The issue only seems to occur when accelerating to get onto a highway. There is a strong stutter and the car goes into AWD limp mode with a loud clack sound which sounds like a clutch slipping or something of that sort. I have an odd feeling it is something to do with the transmission or transfer case slipping. Such an odd situation because i never had this issue prior to the battery discharge issue. After a new alternator and battery i would assume the issue would be gone, but it is here still. The codes are not really helping the situation as they are sort of generic. Anyone know what else would be best to troubleshoot in this sort of situation?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #9
Mobil088
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Did you ever find out what was causing the problems? I am having the same problems. Codes 55c3 and 5f2f. Protool isn’t giving me much info on what’s going on. I tried xDelete thinking it my be my transfer case. But still getting the same codes when in rwd
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #10
X6Mand320xi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M, BMW 320xi, Saleen S2

I am also having the same issue. Would be interesting to see where this goes! I will share what happened to me. My X6 recently had a new battery and also a new alternator, I cheaped out and got a rebuilt and that was a mistake. Got a new one and at the same time replaced the grounding straps which eliminated other issues. 6 mths later which takes us to now, I would occasionally get the AWD and DSC malfunction. I would pull over and turn off the vehicle. I would then restart with no issues. This happened twice within a 3 week period. The last time it happened, restarting the vehicle did not clear it. Needed to drive home and then got a Engine Malfunction (reduced power) which is the infamous limp mode. I had read the codes before and after the limp mode episode. I cleared the codes and the AWD and DSC were gone, but could not get it out of limp mode. Drove it for a couple of miles and the AWD and DSC errors came back. My circuit tester tells my alternator is still charging at 14.8 at the battery. Also my (TOPDON ArtiBattery 101) tells me my battery is good.

I am using a Foxwell NT502, I am left with the following:

6455 N ICM: Active Front Steering, slow steering
angle synchronization.

6EC4 N DSC: Steering Angle Sensor
6EC5 N DSC: Interface ICM

55D0 Message (steering wheel angle 0x04 error)

553C N VTG AWD LIMP Home Control Activated
No DSC Specified
Nominal Torque

I am quite sure if I drive in limp mode right now I will get the AWD and DSC malfunction again as before.

So I have a line on a used Multi Function Switch Control Arm Clockspring. This contains the circuitry for the Steering Angle sensor. A new one is ridiculously expensive. Hope to get it in the next week or so.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 11:40 AM   #11
Tran Tu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i E93

Im having the similar problem related to 4x4 DSC Steering Wheel Angle Sensor on my BMW X6 E71 2008

I can reset to normal “no yellow light” by turning steering wheel all the way to left then right but it still came back some time. My reverse camera even working sometime when I reset !

Is this related to my battery as well ? Or what should i be look out for replacement?
Im having a long trip 500km x2 way next month so im looking to fix it permanently.

Below are the codes I scanned:

6EA5
94B5
6E8C
6EC3

55D0
55C3

2DEB power management, vehicle wiring system control
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:42 AM   #12
Herminio
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hey
According with my research looks like the TC actuator is the problem. The TC ON x3, x5 and x6 has the similar issues. Please have a look on it. Inside this actuator has two plastic parts that after some mileage they screwed
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 03:57 PM   #13
Conzyo
Pho is yummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & E70 X5M & 12' GTR

Bumping this thread, has anyone else had this issue? And what was the fix?
TIA
      11-07-2023, 08:00 PM   #14
DeanG
Rep
Drives: 11-523 09-X5 12-116 07-325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conzyo View Post
Bumping this thread, has anyone else had this issue? And what was the fix?
TIA
Yep had this, some days it would go away only to return in earnest so I replaced the nylon gear inside the transfer case actuator, then replaced the oil, approx 1 liter.. Its sounds silly, but if the clutches inside the TF are not moving sweet, the control module picks up a resistance signal and starts throwing codes. As soon as the job was complete, I drove it round the block and every code disappeared. the 4x4 code, the low tire pressure warning, the DSC, ABS, everything.
Appreciate 1
Conzyo766.00