XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-25-2021, 12:11 PM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

Anyone done "CompTIA A+"

I did a CCNA way back in the day, it expired in 2015, am in a senior IT role, was thinking of doing this, to get past the IT bot's on resumes, not sure if it is worth it. I do see on some job specs this is sometimes asked for ?

txs
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I did A+ way back in 90's, maybe early 00's. It was a joke, at least then. Can you identify a hard drive in the picture? What is the DOS command to change to a different directory. It was that level. I'd be surprised if I could still claim that certification though.

That and Dell were the only certifications I ever attained, yet I am an IT Manager for a small city.
Appreciate 2
nazali1264.50
vreihen1614889.50
      10-25-2021, 12:55 PM   #3
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

txs UW
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

It's not worth it. If you're in a senior role, a CompTIA+ won't add anything. It's viewed as a very basic level cert for entry level positions. If you want to put time into getting a cert, the CCNA is going to be worth a lot more than a CompTIA+. But this is all based on what area of IT you're looking to work in or focused on.

Frankly, putting your time and energy into any cert dealing with the cloud is going to yield a lot more than any of the certs we're talking about.
Appreciate 4
nazali1264.50
vreihen1614889.50
eluded2959.00
      10-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #5
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I've found in my roles, that CCNA hasn't helped me "greatly" as the roles don't need me to get onto routers etc, mainly sysadmin, and you need to be a sysadmin LOL
I was thinking of recertifying my CCNA though, I think I have to do the whole course again, as it has also changed, (was 640) now something different
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      10-25-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
CompTIA A+ might be good if you've never used a computer.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614889.50
nazali1264.50
      10-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #7
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
I did a CCNA way back in the day, it expired in 2015, am in a senior IT role, was thinking of doing this, to get past the IT bot's on resumes, not sure if it is worth it. I do see on some job specs this is sometimes asked for ?
My employer sends all of our entry-level IT staff out to get their A+ within 6 months of hire...and pays for the testing. One of the big PC hardware manufacturers requires us to use people with A+ certifications to perform all warranty/repair work as a condition for our self-repair program with them. Having the entire front line certified has worked out.

I have zero certifications, and 36 years of experience inventing a lot of the stuff that's on those certification tests. I went out for a three-day CCNE prep class about 7 years ago. Half of the class was trying to sell obsolete Cisco routers, and the other half was IPv4 subnetting exercises. Not one mention of IPv6! Never went for the test, since it was pointless. One of my junior colleagues went to the same class/instructor, and passed the CCNE...on his third try.

If you're in a senior IT role, I'd go for something like Amazon AWS or cloud certifications, or maybe something in security. Does a "Must Click Start Engineer" (MCSE) count for anything these days?

The only certification that I would consider for myself right now is project management, like PMP. Something that I've been doing all of my adult life, but not likely to get me far without the certs on my resume.....
nazali1264.50
      10-25-2021, 02:39 PM   #8
AustinZ4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i SMG

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4  [0.00]
MCSE has been broken down into specialized cert paths so is less and less relevant.

I agree with vreihen16. Am a senior sys admin now. Get an AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure cert. That's money in the bank, especially to stay remote in the future. AZ-900 is an easy way to go for Azure.
Appreciate 2
nazali1264.50
vreihen1614889.50
      10-25-2021, 03:21 PM   #9
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
It's not worth it. If you're in a senior role, a CompTIA+ won't add anything. It's viewed as a very basic level cert for entry level positions. If you want to put time into getting a cert, the CCNA is going to be worth a lot more than a CompTIA+. But this is all based on what area of IT you're looking to work in or focused on.

Frankly, putting your time and energy into any cert dealing with the cloud is going to yield a lot more than any of the certs we're talking about.
This.

Quote:
I've found in my roles, that CCNA hasn't helped me "greatly" as the roles don't need me to get onto routers etc, mainly sysadmin, and you need to be a sysadmin LOL
I was thinking of recertifying my CCNA though, I think I have to do the whole course again, as it has also changed, (was 640) now something different
So when you say you're in a senior role, you mean a senior sysadmin? Or in a senior IT role? Entirely different career paths. A technical certification will help you in technical roles, not so much in senior managerial roles.
Appreciate 1
nazali1264.50
      10-25-2021, 04:35 PM   #10
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

ok, was a service desk analyst. Now a senior Service desk analyst
I was think of service desk manager, next or team lead, technically in my last role I was promoted to a shift lead (senior analyst) so looking after a team of guy's on the weekend, late shift.

Trying to work out my career path also as now I'm a contractor (Incorporated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
This.

So when you say you're in a senior role, you mean a senior sysadmin? Or in a senior IT role? Entirely different career paths. A technical certification will help you in technical roles, not so much in senior managerial roles.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 05:38 PM   #11
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Until just over 2 years ago, I was IT. Then I got an assistant.

Senior IT for me now includes HR, budgeting, and PM. I am NOT liking getting out of the trenches, I'm a techy. Anyone remember the Peter principal? I don't want to be that guy.

PMBOK and VM training were included in this year's budget for me.

nazali, the other major area would be (cloud) security, if you are looking for more $$$
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614889.50
nazali1264.50
      10-25-2021, 06:00 PM   #12
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
ok, was a service desk analyst. Now a senior Service desk analyst
I was think of service desk manager, next or team lead, technically in my last role I was promoted to a shift lead (senior analyst) so looking after a team of guy's on the weekend, late shift.

Trying to work out my career path also as now I'm a contractor (Incorporated)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
This.

Service Desk is a generalist role, and one of my favourites because of that. I've been there for many years.

IT is just a general term for so many different careers. When and if you become more specialized in a certain field within IT, you will need to learn and get certified in that field.

CCNA is a great stepping stone if you're into networking. Then there's CCIE, which further specializes into particular areas (telephone, wireless, messaging etc.)

There's sysadmin that could be UNIX/Linux focused, or AD.

Given what we know about you (very little), it does seem like you're trying to venture into more specialized infrastructure fields.

I agree getting certified in Azure/AWS and Kubernetes could be your next step if you're into that. Almost every company has some exposure to the cloud, and managing hybrid infrastructure and containers that move from on-premise to the cloud and vice-versa for redundancy or resiliency, for example, is a big ticket item.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 2
vreihen1614889.50
nazali1264.50
      10-26-2021, 03:08 AM   #13
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Cloud and security are the future. CISSP or any of the cloud certificates mentioned would be a big plus.

If you're in a service desk role maybe something like a service now certification might help?

ServiceNow offers three certification paths for customers and partners who work with and use ServiceNow products or services.
Appreciate 2
nazali1264.50
vreihen1614889.50
      10-26-2021, 06:54 AM   #14
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

my previous placed we used SNow, but new place uses some archaic crap
but that's a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Cloud and security are the future. CISSP or any of the cloud certificates mentioned would be a big plus.

If you're in a service desk role maybe something like a service now certification might help?

ServiceNow offers three certification paths for customers and partners who work with and use ServiceNow products or services.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 02:17 AM   #15
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

If you've been working in IT for a while A+ will be a laugh. You will likely not gain anything from it other than the certification.

Maybe it's just been my experience, but CompTIA seems to be more DoD focused. Any DoD agency or contractor that works with the DoD wants CompTIA certs, but I haven't seen much outside of the DoD care a lot about CompTIA.

I've been working IT administration for almost 10 years, and server admin and data center admin for the past 3 years, and right now I just have Security+. I'm currently going through Server+ simply for the certification on a resume because its a lifetime cert. I start CASP next week, and then after CASP if its still being offered here I'm shooting for CCNA. A+ is the bare minimum we require for entry level help desk administrative roles.
Appreciate 2
nazali1264.50
vreihen1614889.50
      10-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #16
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I've found on applying for jobs they do ask for certain things, and unless you have what they want you don't get past the bots, so yes just for the certification.

But yeah good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
If you've been working in IT for a while A+ will be a laugh. You will likely not gain anything from it other than the certification.

Maybe it's just been my experience, but CompTIA seems to be more DoD focused. Any DoD agency or contractor that works with the DoD wants CompTIA certs, but I haven't seen much outside of the DoD care a lot about CompTIA.

I've been working IT administration for almost 10 years, and server admin and data center admin for the past 3 years, and right now I just have Security+. I'm currently going through Server+ simply for the certification on a resume because its a lifetime cert. I start CASP next week, and then after CASP if its still being offered here I'm shooting for CCNA. A+ is the bare minimum we require for entry level help desk administrative roles.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #17
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
I've found on applying for jobs they do ask for certain things, and unless you have what they want you don't get past the bots, so yes just for the certification.

But yeah good point
Not necessarily. It depends on the company and networking with other peers in your industry is critical. I've been in pretty senior positions for the past few years. Haven't carried a cert since my MCSE NT 4.0. My resume screams of tons of experience. Certifications help lower the barrier to getting that interview. But many places are starting to actually test their interviewees. You have to be able to think on your feet and apply your knowledge. Working with headhunters which the prospective employer pays their fee is a way to be more efficient in getting that interview/job.

For me, I've taken the additional steps with building my own home lab to practice and learn new technologies. This alone pushed me above other candidates with employers I've had interviews.
Appreciate 2
nazali1264.50
vreihen1614889.50
      10-27-2021, 10:04 AM   #18
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

But yeah good point

Quote:

If resumes are first scanned by bots you need keywords first and foremost on your cover page. The DoD is notorious for highly qualified people getting rejected simply because their cover page didnt state verbatim the job title and posting number in the first line. It's ridiculous.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
nazali1264.50
      10-27-2021, 10:22 AM   #19
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I'll remember that , txs !

Quote:
If resumes are first scanned by bots you need keywords first and foremost on your cover page. The DoD is notorious for highly qualified people getting rejected simply because their cover page didnt state verbatim the job title and posting number in the first line. It's ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 01:22 AM   #20
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thought I'd post this in here for anyone that might be thinking about what exams to take. This is for CompTIA certifications.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
vreihen1614889.50
nazali1264.50
      10-28-2021, 11:21 AM   #21
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

AWESOME !
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #22
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

So my neighbors wife is posting that he passed of these CISSP exam? Stating only about 150,000 people have passed it worldwide. Is this a big deal in the IT world?
Appreciate 0