XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #1
thehungrymonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x5m 2012

NBT EVO retrofit issue --need help

Bimmerretrofit NBT EVO unit self-install into an e70 x5m. I love my new to me car and was willing to drop too much money on this upgrade. But I need help. It's all installed and I haven't had to code a thing yet.

But..the damn volume knob on the panel causes the volume bar to just stutter and wont adjust volume. The steering wheel volume control does adjust volume but causes the screen to darken.

data points:

1. I reconnected the oem system ( a few times) and the panel works just fine.

2. I have no sound at all as expected with no MOST loop installed.

3. I get sound but the above problem with MOST loop installed in the COMBOX

4. I installed MOST Loop into the HUD and I lose all sound again.

Bimmerretrofit has started to get ..hostile. They gave me solutions that just well aren't ok. I told them I would seek help on forums and support got mad and said it was a threat? TBH I just think the people here may know more as their ideas don't add up or cost 1000's additional.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

I'm guessing to bought this setup used? Seeing you chose to overpay vs getting the $480 AVIN, seems like you're limited on options here. Most of their rapage in price for their retrofit is the support and legwork they do so the customer doesn't have to know anything, so odds of finding the answers publically are slim. I still don't see why people are having issues with the AVIN as mine works perfectly and I did the install, but that's for another thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
thehungrymonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep

No I bought this new from them.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 08:24 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehungrymonkey View Post
No I bought this new from them.
I have it and they went so far as to write new code for me and took care of every issue.

Where you working with Andrew ?

They have never gotten hostile with me and have always helped and now it works great.

Hud control, and lift gate control with Apple car play all work flawless.

You need to loose the com box that's part of your issue. The new system isn't comparable with it.

You need to terminate it with a most loop terminator.

The system is better than the Avin unit overall as you have functionality and options the avin doesn't give but you pay for it.

Also the little red plug that hooks up to the face plate has to be connected correctly if you connect it wrong it can damage the system. If you have volume issues from the face plate that may be a problem. The screen always darkens when adjusting the volume the. When the volume goes away the screen will brighten up again. It's the same in the F15 X5

You need to connect everything properly if you haven't even connected the MOST correctly NOTHING will work correctly as it's part of the interface.

Once you have it all connected properly then see if you have issues.

Beyond me why you wouldn't have it properly connected first then wonder why it's not working properly.

Anything MOST related is very touchy and needs to be correctly installed.

It's hard to see with pics but the screen darkens slightly when the volume is adjusted and returns to full brightness when the volume control disappears
The glair in the photo is less prevalent with the volume on screen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 11:59 PM   #5
gsnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I have it and they went so far as to write new code for me and took care of every issue.

They have never gotten hostile with me and have always helped and now it works great.

You need to loose the com box that's part of your issue. The new system isn't comparable with it.

You need to terminate it with a most loop terminator.

The system is better than the Avin unit overall as you have functionality and options the avin doesn't give but you pay for it.

Also the little red plug that hooks up to the face plate has to be connected correctly if you connect it wrong it can damage the system. If you have volume issues from the face plate that may be a problem. The screen always darkens when adjusting the volume the. When the volume goes away the screen will brighten up again. It's the same in the F15 X5

You need to connect everything properly if you haven't even connected the MOST correctly NOTHING will work correctly as it's part of the interface.

Once you have it all connected properly then see if you have issues.

Beyond me why you wouldn't have it properly connected first then wonder why it's not working properly.

Anything MOST related is very touchy and needs to be correctly installed.

It's hard to see with pics but the screen darkens slightly when the volume is adjusted and returns to full brightness when the volume control disappears
The glair in the photo is less prevalent with the volume on screen.

Looks nice! I am planning to get something like this myself. How did you install the monitor? (I mean where did you get the plastic trim parts)
AVIN sucks - I tried version Android ver 7 and it was a disaster..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3 Shark, ex E92 M3 ZCP

How much was this retrofit mind if I ask (PM me or reply here).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdn View Post
How much was this retrofit mind if I ask (PM me or reply here).
I paid $1600 for the NBT evo 6 that was including extra bits and trim parts I had to buy. They had a sale going on. It's probably cheaper now as it's been out for a while.

Figure good aftermarket stereo costs close to a grand and this being all oem and having the integrated Apple CarPlay that works with the steering wheel and all that the price was worth it for me. It's great to be fully integrated system that the Apple car play provides, everything is voice assisted. Also all sound effects are updated to the newer 2018 style and the gps is just fantastic. Worth it just for that.
Appreciate 1
werdn656.00
      06-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #8
thehungrymonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanks for your input c

I paid 2800 US or so. Guess I paid too much.

Well that's the thing 'c' thanks for your input. The system is connected properly as far as I can tell. I have pulled power and looped the combox.

Oh and as for your question :

I was following the instructions from their youtube video to do an initial function test before addressing combox. I'm glad I did as it turned out the provided firmware on the adapter was old and not compatible with my car.

You show how the screen is darkening...

Well according to Andrew in his response to me about the same thing:

Question from me to Andrew:

7. The steering wheel volume adjustment works, it also makes the screen go dark on press each time but the volume does change.

His response:

When you adjust sound at steering wheel your display goes dark ? This is totally wrong!
Something is incorrect in your setup I suspect. I do not know what though.
See number (5) to begin with.

So according to Andrew not only is mine not working to spec...yours isn't as well. This is what is irritating me. He either doesn't know the correct behavior of the system but is their only tech support, or 2. we have both incorrectly wired our systems. WTF. This isn't cool.

Last edited by thehungrymonkey; 06-28-2018 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 09:06 PM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I paid 2800 US or so. Guess I paid too much.

Well that's the thing 'c' thanks for your input. The system is connected properly as far as I can tell. I have pulled power and looped the combox.

Oh and as for your question :

I was following the instructions from their youtube video to do an initial function test before addressing combox. I'm glad I did as it turned out the provided firmware on the adapter was old and not compatible with my car.

You show how the screen is darkening...

Well according to Andrew in his response to me about the same thing:

Question from me to Andrew:

7. The steering wheel volume adjustment works, it also makes the screen go dark on press each time but the volume does change.

His response:

When you adjust sound at steering wheel your display goes dark ? This is totally wrong!
Something is incorrect in your setup I suspect. I do not know what though.
See number (5) to begin with.

So according to Andrew not only is mine not working to spec...yours isn't as well. This is what is irritating me. He either doesn't know the correct behavior of the system but is their only tech support, or 2. we have both incorrectly wired our systems. WTF. This isn't cool.
Sorry man I posted a little harsh. I found out that day that I had skin cancer so I was a little emotional. Better now. Andrew is fine with the tech side but he isn't that keen on the details.

Or he misinterprets what we're saying.

I got into the f15 and it does the same thing but it be more helpful to see a video of the issue vs pics.

Their may be software updates you can upload into the adapter to make some issues disappear. What where some of the things that they asked that you said you didn't like.... just need to know all the details.

You have your warranty and can exchange it if it's truly faulty and can't get it to function properly. So that's good. But sometimes it's just a wire issue or software issue

You can always send it back for them to self test to see if their is truly any issues if theirs not then it lies somewhere with the car and how it's hooked up.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #10
thehungrymonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep

sorry to hear

Sorry to hear about the skin condition. This is all non-significant stuff in comparison. Hopefully you caught it soon enough and it's all goes well.

I appreciate actually you having the screen darkening thing ..that's really encouraging to know thats working as intended as hearing from the manufacturer that's it's not made me think I had multiple issues..and that was putting me over the edge.

I'm just troubleshooting the MOST ring now...going thru each item and checking function..starting with sat nav and seeing if it is good. I really just wanted BR to tell me to do that kinda step by step troubleshooting..rather than suggest I drive to another country to get it evaluated.

A competitor called carsystems has actually been more helpful than Andrew and they have no skin in the game...no idea why they have to take the hostile approach rather than the team approach.

Anyways, hope you are going to be ok.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 05:32 PM   #11
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the skin condition. This is all non-significant stuff in comparison. Hopefully you caught it soon enough and it's all goes well.

I appreciate actually you having the screen darkening thing ..that's really encouraging to know thats working as intended as hearing from the manufacturer that's it's not made me think I had multiple issues..and that was putting me over the edge.

I'm just troubleshooting the MOST ring now...going thru each item and checking function..starting with sat nav and seeing if it is good. I really just wanted BR to tell me to do that kinda step by step troubleshooting..rather than suggest I drive to another country to get it evaluated.

A competitor called carsystems has actually been more helpful than Andrew and they have no skin in the game...no idea why they have to take the hostile approach rather than the team approach.

Anyways, hope you are going to be ok.
That's so funny, I had the exact opposite with car systems but I've learned that no company is without issues.

Well I'm here to help where I can. Just let me know.

I have a complicated setup though as I have car systems for my steering wheel retrofit and Bimmer retrofit for the EVO.... but they at least communicate with each other.

Lol probably from the same manufacturer !

But yea they cough it early so I go to get under the knife here in a couple weeks !!! :/
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3 Shark, ex E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I paid $1600 for the NBT evo 6 that was including extra bits and trim parts I had to buy. They had a sale going on. It's probably cheaper now as it's been out for a while.

Figure good aftermarket stereo costs close to a grand and this being all oem and having the integrated Apple CarPlay that works with the steering wheel and all that the price was worth it for me. It's great to be fully integrated system that the Apple car play provides, everything is voice assisted. Also all sound effects are updated to the newer 2018 style and the gps is just fantastic. Worth it just for that.
Thanks for the response.

Does the NBT Evo 6 work with bluetooth audio or is that an add-on? Also, does the back up camera software work with my stock 07 4.8i camera?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #13
thehungrymonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep

well yes, blue tooth is included and works a lot better than stock. The camera question ...i don't know. I did get my camera to function, but the system isn't working and I'm currently a little frustrated with the entire product because of the one element.
Appreciate 1
werdn656.00
      07-03-2018, 12:49 AM   #14
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdn View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the response.

Does the NBT Evo 6 work with bluetooth audio or is that an add-on? Also, does the back up camera software work with my stock 07 4.8i camera?

Thanks.
Yea all cameras work and also top view also works.

Even the flat tire monitor shows psi of each tire now .... I'll post pics tomorrow.

You end up with updated everything and everything is improved you also gain options you didn't have before like Apple car play. you just loose the combox, But mine no longer worked anyway since Bmw stopped supporting the band that it used anyway so loss in my book.
Appreciate 1
werdn656.00
      07-03-2018, 12:54 AM   #15
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well yes, blue tooth is included and works a lot better than stock. The camera question ...i don't know. I did get my camera to function, but the system isn't working and I'm currently a little frustrated with the entire product because of the one element.
What's not functioning ?

I know I had a little trouble finding the right plugins for the cameras on the first go around.

Had to relocate the camera wires and the microphone wires to new numbers on the quad lock. But everything else was pretty simple.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #16
thehungrymonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep

currently the volume knob is not working.

However, I have now been escalated to Vlad who I think is their installer/key person and he is helping to troubleshoot. His explanation and assistance has been much better and I am starting to feel like their will be a happy outcome potentially with his help.

I will keep this post updated once I learn what went sideways....as you mention there doesn't seem like a lot that can go wrong. Like you, I had to pull and set some new pin locations but that worked out fine in terms of camera function. I really want to understand what's not working since I see a few people thinking about making the jump or asking for input and I'd like to be able to both help and give an good answer as to if it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 07:06 PM   #17
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:

I have to agree with -c-
Also have the retrofit from them and their support has been awesome!
Would be even better if you could CALL them and talk through the issues real-time, but they helped me with some items I had done incorrectly and it's been working great for 2 years now.

Be patient with them, and describe everything in as much detail as you can... I also found lots of pictures helped.

FYI, they did some custom coding in the adapter for something unique to my 2008 4.8i, but I don't remember what it was.
It does seem like it was something very similar to your issue though.

Hang in there, they will make it right!
John
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 11:59 PM   #18
thehungrymonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well I am happy to say once I was assisted by Vlad their chief engineer, the outcome has been fantastic. The programming hasn't been completed yet but all hardware systems are working great. Different terminators than I've seen described anywhere had to be installed for the HUD, but the step by step testing advocated by Vlad got me to the successful outcome.

I will post a new thread outlying my experience and the final result if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 12:08 AM   #19
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I am happy to say once I was assisted by Vlad their chief engineer, the outcome has been fantastic. The programming hasn't been completed yet but all hardware systems are working great. Different terminators than I've seen described anywhere had to be installed for the HUD, but the step by step testing advocated by Vlad got me to the successful outcome.

I will post a new thread outlying my experience and the final result if you are interested.
Sounds great! Yea anything dealing with the MOST system sucks and it's touchy.

Glad their getting all the ducks in a row.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #20
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't have HUD, so new variables in the equation that I didn't have to solve for.

Congrats!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #21
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep

Hi,

Have you had any issues with the TPMS pressure readings on your NBT EVO?
The PSI and kPa settings only show a 2 near each tire, but the BAR readings are correct at 2.17.

I don't know if this has always been the case, and I just noticed it, or if it just started doing it.

Also, do you need to have the display on the TPMS screen while driving for the values to update, or are they always correct?

What year is your X5?

Thanks in advance,
John
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #22
thehungrymonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep

missed this sorry

No issues with the TMPS..seems to update pretty fast. I'm about to put in a couple of amps and change out the speakers so hopefully not going to be introducing new errors..but so far it's been rock solid.
Appreciate 0