XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
bigdave18629
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Thule Roof Rack Help

Hello,

New to owning my 2012 X5M and want to install my Thule roof rack and kayak carrier. I have a smooth roof and own the Thule modular system with the Aero foot pack and load bars. The system was for an MDX and has the associated fit kit with it to mount to the MDX roof. (this is a portable system). According to Thule they do not have an option to fit an X5, I have a hard time believing that with the number of them that are on the road. Does anyone out there have a Thule system that works? Adding roof rails is going to be $1,000 option, not what I want to do.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
APLINE_997
Private
Rep
Drives: 997 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave18629
Hello,

New to owning my 2012 X5M and want to install my Thule roof rack and kayak carrier. I have a smooth roof and own the Thule modular system with the Aero foot pack and load bars. The system was for an MDX and has the associated fit kit with it to mount to the MDX roof. (this is a portable system). According to Thule they do not have an option to fit an X5, I have a hard time believing that with the number of them that are on the road. Does anyone out there have a Thule system that works? Adding roof rails is going to be $1,000 option, not what I want to do.

Thanks
The unfortunate part is that they did not build anything to expand the full length of the x5 roof line from side to side. Since almost 99% of all X5s have roof rails. You are looking for a car foot rails that fits inside the window frame area. My BMW base rails for my M5 E60 might fit end to end over the X5 roof line. I will have to measure.

Also Yakima(whispbar) heavy duty makes a base rail that expands. Measure your edge to edge distance from right to left door frame. Front and rear since its wider going back from the front door to the rear door.

Adapters can then be used to fit what you have already to the Yakima. I had to buy xAdapt8 to get the BMW/Thule race carrier to fit. It was $20.00 for both sets.

Hope that gives you ideas.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
bigdave18629
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

My load bars do fit/expand wide enough to span the roof and clip into the door frame both front and rear. It is the foot "fit kit" that seems to be the elusive product. The fit kit is the lower portion of the base that allows it to be clamped to the door frame and roof edge securely and without damaging the car.

If 95% of x5's have roof rails, maybe that is why the fit kit is non existent but I would think the roof line is similar enough to other models that something may work.
Appreciate 0