XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-29-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
Thrawn
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Car threw and engine malfunction today

I was driving the X5 today going back to work and when I stopped at a red light the car gave the engine malfunction message and said it was operating on reduced power. then it died. it started again but would die if I put it in gear. I kept it in neutral until the light changed. I was less than a mile from work so I made it there. I tried to connect to the JB4 to read the error as I knew Bimmerlink would not connect without restarting my phone and standing on one leg while covering one eye and whistling.. but when I tried to connect the the JB4 is said no device found. I have never had it fail to find it. I tried a few times with no luck. when I got to work I jumped through the hoops and got connected with Bimmerlink. these are the errors I got.

2C90
0x2C90 Diverter valve: stuck closed

36E3
0x36E3 monitoring 5V sensor supply 2: voltage outside valid range

2C58
0x2C58 Boost pressure control: Shutdown as a follow-up reaction

any ideas? I was wondering if something happened to the JB4. maybe it somehow lost connection on one of the canbus wires or something. maybe that is why it can not be detected and why the car started throwing the error.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
Thrawn
Private
Rep

So support for the JB4 says since I have a bluetooth device plugged into my OBD2 port so I can use Bimmerlink, it is interfering with the JB4 ability to monitor correctly. I told them It has not kept me from being able to connect to the JB4 for the past 3 weeks, or caused an error but they are saying this is the problem. I am going to take out the device and see if I can detect the JB4 but I can not believe this would keep it from being detected especially since it has been working fine. and I was not using the OBD2 port at the time anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:11 PM   #3
Thrawn
Private
Rep

as I suspected disconnecting the bluetooth obd2 connector did nothing to help me connect to the JB4 over bluetooth. it still can not detect it. I was able to set the map back to 0 turning off the JB4 using the steering wheel controls. I cleared the codes with Bimmerlink I will see if it comes back with the JB4 turned off. I did not find any loose connections on the JB4 so not sure why it stopped working
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:29 PM   #4
Thrawn
Private
Rep

I think something happened to the JB4. I was thinking one of the can bus wires might be loose even though they appear to be good. However the more I think about it the more I don’t think that is it. I can not connect at all to the device, and I could before even before hooking it to the can bus.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #5
Thrawn
Private
Rep

Ok I have been working with bms support. They finally decided the unit must have failed. I removed it and all engine errors are gone and the car runs good again.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 07:56 PM   #6
Thrawn
Private
Rep

One thing for sure is the car feels sluggish with out the JB4. Even though I normally don’t put my foot in it, I was surprised how much you notice the difference when it isn’t there just driving normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 11:58 AM   #7
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Ok I have been working with bms support. They finally decided the unit must have failed. I removed it and all engine errors are gone and the car runs good again.
They are replacing it I hope?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 12:09 PM   #8
Thrawn
Private
Rep

Yeah when we wasn't getting anywhere figuring it out they asked me to remove it and send it back to them for a replacement. When I took it off and everything worked fine, it was just further confirmation it was bad. hopefully the next one last a little longer....
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #9
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Awesome they stood by it even tho they ended support for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #10
Thrawn
Private
Rep

Yeah so far I have been happy with their service, I have only had it for about 3 weeks though, so I would hope they would warranty it...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 04:39 PM   #11
Thrawn
Private
Rep

I got an email from BMS today. they said there was nothing wrong with the JB4 i sent back. They are sending it back to me and want me to start with the map and Tmap only. I am a little confused as what was going on with it as I lost all ability to connect to it, and as soon as it was removed the problem went away. It worked great for a few weeks so I know it was installed correctly. hopefully it works this time.
Appreciate 0