XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

The Android 10.25" Screen Journey Begins...

Finally pulled the trigger today after over doing my research....

Grabbed this one with all the bells and whistles...including the 1920x720 screen with the Black surround...internal (no dongle) carplay etc.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...4ced4c4dwgzlN4

They can be had for a pretty good price right now particularly if you stay with
the 1280x480....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...c00T11QIn&mp=1
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post

Grabbed this one with all the bells and whistles...including the 1920x720 screen with the Black surround...internal (no dongle) carplay etc.

the 1280x480....

I have the lower res one, I don't find myself ever having my face 1ft or less from it so it is just fine.

I think my install tips are posted somewhere for my CCC unit with the small screen and no NAV.

I also sold my original screen on ebay for something like $100 to offset the price

-Rich
      04-28-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

For the extra 100 bucks... seemed like a no brainer... Some pretty hefty discounts right now...

I plan on keeping the original screen... for now at least...

I’ll look for your install posts...
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 05:26 AM   #4
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71 40d (2012)

Really interested to hear how this goes.

With all he lockdown crap I’m going mad on retrofits. Heated wheel is on, side view cameras nearly, lane assist just need the right wheel and active cruise just need the right sensor

Upgrading the head unit and general audio is next.
Particularly interested to see how it works with the original bmw functions.
Appreciate 2
TTV8M113.50
      05-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Also interested to hear about your experience...subscribed.

I'm waiting for my 4x4 Shop Snapdragon monitor to arrive for install. FWIW, I posted questions/answers and my selected config so far in my x5m build thread, link below, starting on Post#144. I already have an AVIN monitor, this will be a minor upgrade to wireless carplay, lg display, digital tv tuner, possibly higher quality sound, and hopefully getting away from some minor inconveniences in the avin monitor.

https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...1499820&page=7
      05-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Mines en-route....will see how Mr Ali Makes Out...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 04:30 PM   #7
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Mines en-route....will see how Mr Ali Makes Out...
I ordered mine 4/28, it appears to still be on the other side of the pacific...but I have my dac, jitterbug, and fancy aux cable ready to go.
      05-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #8
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

"my dac, jitterbug, and fancy aux cable ready to go."

Don't these unit ship with the required cabling....which one did you get....

I've no idea what DAC, jitterbug are!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #9
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
"my dac, jitterbug, and fancy aux cable ready to go."

Don't these unit ship with the required cabling....which one did you get....

I've no idea what DAC, jitterbug are!
Yes they do, you don't need anything else to be functional. You will just connect the monitor audio to the OEM AUX INPUT. I will say that using a better Aux Input cable than they provide is an option...I had tangible improvement upgrading to a $20 cable over the one Avin provided. Also use some isopropyl alcohol and qtip to clean your oem aux input...there's no cover on these and no telling how dirty it's gotten..any dust will cause static. There's a lot of information that cables don't matter, I'm not sure I agree completely,..but sound was so disappointing I upgraded and it helped some in this case.

I bought this one: https://4x4shop.ca/product/2010-2013...al-cic-system/

I'm running my system like this now and it's fine, but I usually avoid playing sound via the OEM Aux In b/c it's lesser quality than your current OEM setup. This is because the monitor internal digital to analog converter (DAC) may or may not be poor quality AND/OR is picking up noise from the internal electronics of the monitor and outputting it via the OEM Aux Input. One possible solution I read in the X5 forum by Sunny_J is to add an external DAC to the USB line of the monitor. The monitor automatically recognizes the external DAC, bypasses the internal DAC and sends the digital signal to the external DAC...where less interference is picked up and theoretically sending better sound to the OEM Aux Input. The jitterbug is a just a noise filter (https://www.audioquest.com/jitterbug...r-noise-filter) that you can add inline. I found a red dragonfly dac and this jitterbug as a bundle on ebay and picked it up. SO AS A TEST, in lieu of the monitor to oem aux input method, I plan to setup this way: MONITOR USB>JITTERBUG>RED DRAGONFLY DAC>AUX CABLE>OEM AUX INPUT. Not sure this is worth it, but willing to try. NOTE that Sunny_J used a Red Dragonfly DAC and he reported hiss at higher volumes. Maybe the jitterbug will help, but just installing all this is part of the way. Then I'll have to try adjust and synch volume settings to avoid poor sound. I'll write it all up in my build thread. Looking for anyone else who may provide insight here...

Sorry for the long-winded post...

UPDATE: And BTW, with my AVIN monitor and Carplay dongle, I managed to be able to use the monitor and the OEM sound most of the time.

Last edited by argento; 05-13-2020 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2020, 06:32 AM   #10
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the comment...Informative... I was going to install this myself, but increasingly think I’ll just pass it off to an installer I’ve been in touch with...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #11
argento
Captain
Rep

I understand. I installed the avin then had to get in there two more times. For me, the hardest parts were removing the radio/climate front face. It's just two screws and it prys out, but you have to give a lot of pry force at the right spot and it shoots out. Lots of sharp edges and you can scratch the knee pad leather or other trim. Next hardest was routing the cable so that when you reinstall the oem piece with the two vents it remains flush and all the way down. It can be done, just needs a little patience. All the connectors you remove are keyed, meaning they are all different and little chance of plugging in the wrong connector. Lastly, make sure everything is plugged in securely or else you'll have to get back in there. I had to do so with the connection to the back of the monitor. Good luck! I think you'll like it.

Oh, I'm wrong, the most effort was routing the aux input to the armrest. I removed the knee panel and the entire shifter assembly (with battery disconnected...just pry the top panel, remove screws, disconnect connectors, lifts out). Routing was then easy, but you then have to remove the aux input plate (pry's off) in the armrest and file some holes in the plate edge to allow the aux input cable to go through. Start with a triangle shaped file, then open it up with a round shaped file. I also had to file holes to allow the carplay dongle cables to run through so that the dongle sat inside the armrest area. It was trial in error, so took me a while. Install the usb extensions (if needed) prior to mounting the monitor in place.

Sorry, TMI, but just in case you need the info.

Last edited by argento; 05-17-2020 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #12
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

As long as my phone pairs as usual I’ll be happy. I only bought the one I linked because it had all the bells and whistles- So I’m hoping it’s a quality unit and maintains all functions (as they claim) with an updated touch.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 12:58 AM   #13
Charlieborg
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5

Garage List
2009 BMW X5  [0.00]
I just bought the same one! It arrived today! Cant wait to get it installed! Any advice ?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 05:23 AM   #14
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Mine has still not arrived...But I’m about to watch the install videos again...the best by 4x4 shop...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #15
argento
Captain
Rep

Mine arrived earlier this week, probably installing today or tomorrow. I already removed the Avin and created diagrams of stock configuration connections versus the android configuration connections. I will post more info on my build thread. The two systems (monitor and harness) are nearly identical externally. I notice my old avin harness had a large fusebox, where as the 4x4 harness does not.

Pm or email me if you want a copy of the diagrams...ideally best to wait until I confirm them with the install, but can share...
      05-23-2020, 02:38 PM   #16
Aferanova
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X6 xDrive50i

Quote:

the 1280x480....

I am about to purchase this one as well - Did any of you have to pay customs taxes? The seller has seemed very responsive.

Any recommendations on other accessories needed? I was thinking a GPS splitter to use the factory GPS signal. And based on everyones comments, getting a better AUX cable.

Argento - let us know if you think the DAC + jitterbug make a noticeable improvement in sound. I've read some people getting good sound with these new snapdragon units and properly setting the audio levels.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #17
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

If the unit retains all factory functions...why would we need a gps splitter.... Hopefully mine shows up this week North of the Wall/ East Coast...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 09:28 PM   #18
argento
Captain
Rep

The monitor needs GPS and the factory radio needs GPS. IF you have factory navigation you can use the GPS splitter to split the radio GPS to the monitor **OR** leave GPS to the radio and install the provided GPS module somewhere in your dash near the windshield. If you don't have factory navigation, then you must install the provided GPS module.

Installed mine, but something is **wrong**, no OEM display. I'm going to swap my avin monitor back in tomorrow to confirm oem display is functioning, then it's likely the 4x4 monitor (ugh, not looking forward to waiting for another), hopefully it's something else I missed...

Also, FWIW, the USB>JITTERBUG>DAC>OEM AUX INPUT works. However without access to the oem side, I can't properly adjust yet. The gain is way low compared to just plugging in directly to the OEM Aux Input from the monitor. [watch your volume when switching back and forth] With that said, comparing both, the DAC didn't sound tinny, but I do hear the hiss sunny_j mentioned (which was directly attributable to the red dragon I have), so will try to clean it up OR pic a new DAC.

**UPDATE** I'm glad to report User Error on the above issue. I decided to go back out cycle through all the FACTORY CAR TYPES starting with CIC labels and the last one (09) worked. None of the others work for me. The sticker on the monitor bag (that included password) states to use CAR TYPE 5 or 6.

Last edited by argento; 05-23-2020 at 10:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 02:24 AM   #19
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

All great info... Keep it coming..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:09 AM   #20
Aferanova
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
Also, FWIW, the USB>JITTERBUG>DAC>OEM AUX INPUT works. However without access to the oem side, I can't properly adjust yet. The gain is way low compared to just plugging in directly to the OEM Aux Input from the monitor. [watch your volume when switching back and forth] With that said, comparing both, the DAC didn't sound tinny, but I do hear the hiss sunny_j mentioned (which was directly attributable to the red dragon I have), so will try to clean it up OR pic a new DAC.
any recommendations on a better quality aux cable to use than what comes with the kits?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #21
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirgi View Post
any recommendations on a better quality aux cable to use than what comes with the kits?
I've been using SIIG CB-AU0A12-S1, it's inexpensive, you need at least 4ft if going to armrest aux input.

With the addition of DAC, I bumped up to AudioQuest...
https://www.audioquest.com/cables/an...s-falls-series

If using DAC, you only need about 0.6M when you consider Android USB cable, 1M USB Cable Extension, jitterbug, DAC, then aux cable. IF NO EXTENSION, then increase aux cable appropriately

UPDATE ON SOUND:
-I could not get the DAC (Dragonfly RED) to provide good clear sound. Unusable at the moment. It's a pretty decent DAC, but obviously not ideal for this application. The Dragonfly sounds GREAT connected to my PC. I will try another DAC. BTW, the jitterbug filters out a ton of noise, but still not good enough. W/o the jitterbug it's a mess of hiss.
-The sound via the OEM Aux Input is much better than I expected. Prior to install I did clean out my OEM Aux Input with isopropyl and a pipe cleaner. Before this, with my old unit, I would rotate the aux input connector and hear scratching. Now I do not...not sure if it's the new unit or a clean aux input void of minor debris.
-The OEM sound is pretty amazing compared to the Aux Input and I'm unsure if we'll ever match. Much more depth.
-FWIW I did try to plug the android USB directly into vehicle Media USB (next to OEM Aux Input), but the source (android monitor) was not recognized.

SYNCHRONIZE VOLUME
-This assumes CARPLAY is connected (which maxes out phone volume)
-Set Aux Input Volume in iDrive to lowest setting
-Select Radio and set volume.
-Do not adjust volume knob while performing remainder of steps
-You will flip back and forth from vehicle audio to android audio to compare
-Go to Android Monitor with music playing and compare volume.
-Go into Android Monitor settings and increase MEDIA Volume until it either matches the vehicle volume OR maxes out.
-If Maxes out, then go back to iDrive and increase the Aux Input Volume step by step until it matches to your liking. Keeping Aux Input volume as low as you can improves sound.

Last edited by argento; 05-26-2020 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 09:09 AM   #22
Aferanova
Private
Rep

thanks argento, super helpful!

Any reason you went with the SIIG aux instead of something just like the anker aux like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R11WPK4?

For the sound i'm also wondering if theres a way to bypass using the aux and run it the same way the factory unit came. If theres an optical cable coming from the amp (for the top end audio packages), i'm wondering if we can just run that into the new setup for the audio. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0