XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5

Wheel Bolts for Spacers?

I've got 4 15MM spacers for my 09 X6. An outfit called European Auto Source in CA found me wheel bolts and a keyed lug set with the proper 15MM longer length. Unfortunately the threads on the ones they sent are too coarse. Box reads 14MM X 1.5 RH. When I called them to advise they told me that the X6 appears to be using the same bolts that are used on the 7 series BMW's. The ones they sent work on the X3 and X5. They said they were a stronger bolt and gave me the specs. which I did not write down. Any how, our standard bolts are 26MM long. Obviously they make 41MM standard and the keyed set is 40MM long. Do any of you know where I can find the proper length and thread bolts and keyed set?
Thanks much.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
minime388
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5L

I ordered mine from Germany. I also have 15mm spacer. I ordered it via a shop here in Vietnam. Not sure if I run into some problem like you or not. Hope to get them next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep

I got lucky. When I talked to them yesterday they were very doubtful that they could find some. However, they located some today. When I get the box I'll put out the thread pattern. Below is a link to their web site if you have the same problem. They do not have spacers for the X6.

http://www.europeanautosource.com
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M8 GC, M5 30Jahre, X6 50i

Garage List
I just custom made a set of spacer for my X6 10mm for the front and 15mm for the rear. Thanks for the information on the bolt thread and key lock. Post the thread pattern.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #5
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioquest View Post
I just custom made a set of spacer for my X6 10mm for the front and 15mm for the rear. Thanks for the information on the bolt thread and key lock. Post the thread pattern.
Can you tell me what is the reason and function of spacers? I've always been clueless to this. I'm planning on putting 22" staggered wheel setup with Pirellis like pictured below. I'm looking for a flush look just like that. Trying to decide if I can increase the side walls a little to fill in the gap while doing a 30mm drop or if I just stick with the 295/30-22 and 335/25-22 while doing a 2" drop. I'd prefer to add more sidewall height for a little more cushion if possible to fill in the gap. I'm leaning on the Hartge classic II 22" wheel set up. I spoke to Hartge and they said the car pictured is just a 30mm drop, but for whatever reason it doesn't appear to have much gap at all. They also mentioned that they scratched development of the 2" drop because they had too much issues with rubbing and ride quality. I've seen other 22" with the drop and it usually has more gap then the picture below. I forgot to ask them if perhaps they used spacers. Can I please get some help on this topic? I'm not too knowledgeable on wheels and tires. This is the look I'm shooting for. Thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #6
audioquest
2nd to None!
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M8 GC, M5 30Jahre, X6 50i

Garage List
The wheel spacer is for closing up the gap between the out most tip of the tire and the fender. I personally prefer the fender inline with the top outer tip of the tire, I think it look better. Performance? I think a wider ride is always better. I measure mine it was 10mm for the front and 15mm for the rear.

I am using the BMW double spoke 215 wheel 21". I agree there is too much gap in it. I am very surprise that the Hartge photo is only a 30mm drop. Have a look at my garage my drop (30mm) is from Hartge too. Certainly mine don't look like that. Just beware if you increase the wall of the tire this result in a bigger wheel therefore you need to re-tune your speedometer. I don't know about performance result but IMO I think you will have more roll because of the extra rubber and loose precise turning. If you are just going for look go ahead. For performance I always stick to the tire size by the manufacturer, increase rim sizes is fine but the diameter of the tire. I won't consider. If you have air suspension go for 22" rim if not stick to 20" max. 40mm I think its the max drop for the front, because the rear air suspension can't drop any more to be in line with the front.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep

The picture of the Hartge car certainly looks like more than a 30MM drop. If it's not then the wheel well has been filled with larger wheels and tires. Regardless, my opinion, spacers simply move the wheel farther out and give a more 'aggressive' stance to the car. Hopefully my bolts will show today and I can take some pictures after the install. When it's done I'd imagine my wheels and tires will extend about 1/2 inch beyond the lip of the wheel well. Regardless, when one starts to play with other than stock wheels, tires and spacers one should spend some time on their back with the front wheels turned fully in each direction and checking the clearances with the interior of the wheel well. Changing geometry of the steering can lead to rubbing. I've had people try and say that spacers can lead to excessive wheel bearing wear because of the change in loads due to the moment arm of the wheel being farther out. I'd wager there is some truth in that but only if one starts getting really thick spacers, 40-50MM plus. I've been putting spacers on cars for years and have never had a problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioquest View Post
The wheel spacer is for closing up the gap between the out most tip of the tire and the fender. I personally prefer the fender inline with the top outer tip of the tire, I think it look better. Performance? I think a wider ride is always better. I measure mine it was 10mm for the front and 15mm for the rear.

I am using the BMW double spoke 215 wheel 21". I agree there is too much gap in it. I am very surprise that the Hartge photo is only a 30mm drop. Have a look at my garage my drop (30mm) is from Hartge too. Certainly mine don't look like that. Just beware if you increase the wall of the tire this result in a bigger wheel therefore you need to re-tune your speedometer. I don't know about performance result but IMO I think you will have more roll because of the extra rubber and loose precise turning. If you are just going for look go ahead. For performance I always stick to the tire size by the manufacturer, increase rim sizes is fine but the diameter of the tire. I won't consider. If you have air suspension go for 22" rim if not stick to 20" max. 40mm I think its the max drop for the front, because the rear air suspension can't drop any more to be in line with the front.
Thank you for the post. I don't understand why Hartge would tell me the car pictured is with a 30mm drop. Every photo I've seen with that drop has alot more gap then what the photo seems to have. You mention air suspension, is that something that comes on the sport pkg? I have ordered the 50i pretty much loaded. I'm only looking to fill the gap with that same look as the above Hartge photo but no one including Hartge seems to have the right answers for me. It doesn't look like a 30mm drop at all. I'mhoping someone will have a picture of a 2" drop.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
The picture of the Hartge car certainly looks like more than a 30MM drop. If it's not then the wheel well has been filled with larger wheels and tires. Regardless, my opinion, spacers simply move the wheel farther out and give a more 'aggressive' stance to the car. Hopefully my bolts will show today and I can take some pictures after the install. When it's done I'd imagine my wheels and tires will extend about 1/2 inch beyond the lip of the wheel well. Regardless, when one starts to play with other than stock wheels, tires and spacers one should spend some time on their back with the front wheels turned fully in each direction and checking the clearances with the interior of the wheel well. Changing geometry of the steering can lead to rubbing. I've had people try and say that spacers can lead to excessive wheel bearing wear because of the change in loads due to the moment arm of the wheel being farther out. I'd wager there is some truth in that but only if one starts getting really thick spacers, 40-50MM plus. I've been putting spacers on cars for years and have never had a problem.
That's what Hartge is telling me. Doesn't seem right does it?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

The only way it makes sense is if the tires are taller and they do look oversize to me
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #11
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep

For what it's worth, The 15 MM spacers are installed and they move the wheel out so that the outer lip of the tire is extend approximately 1/4 of an inch beyond the wheel well plastic molding.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #12
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
For what it's worth, The 15 MM spacers are installed and they move the wheel out so that the outer lip of the tire is extend approximately 1/4 of an inch beyond the wheel well plastic molding.
Can you post pictures? Does it give the illusion of reducing the fender gap?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
The only way it makes sense is if the tires are taller and they do look oversize to me
Their wheels for the X6 is running 295/30-22 front and 335/25-22 in the rear. Pirellis.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
Skywagon
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by REInvestor View Post
Can you post pictures? Does it give the illusion of reducing the fender gap?
I'll get some pictures. No, I don't think it gives any lower look, just a slightly wider stance. 15MM is about .6 inches.
Appreciate 0