XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-14-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
BMWHoochie
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 E70

New Power Steering Pump & Still Whine (Video)

I have this really annoying whine sound from my X5 when I rev the engine and when I am driving at slow speeds. Can't really hear it when driving fast. The pump was going out because it made noise when turning the wheel as well... I ordered a new $1200 power steering pump , and reservoir from FCP Euro, and installed it yesterday. I replaced all of the pullies, tensioner, and belt as well.

I drained the fluid out at the rack. Before I installed the power steering pulley, I manually cranked the pump with a little screwdriver in one of the screw holes to bleed the system a little and get fluid to the pump before starting. I turned the wheel from lock to lock while on jack stands 20-30 times at least while avoiding lock for more than a second. After I didn't see any more bubbles I lowered the vehicle.

The steering feels a lot better and when turning the wheel there is no more noise like before but I can't get rid of this freaking whine for the life of me.

I put a mechanics stethoscope on the alternator and ac compressor and didn't hear anything really from those prior to getting the steering pump.

Any suggestions? I have no clue at this point. Here are two videos. One inside the vehicle with the door opened, and one of the engine revving.

Is the new pump bad? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Video Inside with door open
https://streamable.com/cgt2dw

Video Engine Revving
https://streamable.com/er1c6j

Last edited by BMWHoochie; 06-14-2021 at 08:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:32 PM   #2
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E70 BMW X5d

Perhaps you have another pulley on the way out?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:48 PM   #3
BMWHoochie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinasu View Post
Perhaps you have another pulley on the way out?
I replaced them all a second time when I replaced the oil filter housing and cooler gaskets, so I think I am good there. I put a mechanics stethoscope on them and no noise. Not much room to really get in there with the fan in. Also spun them before I put the belt back on after replacing the power steering pump.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #4
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

I can't hear anything obvious in the videos. Your engine is nice and clean, though. Did your power steering pump have a connector? If yes, did you plug it back in? If it has a connector, the pump has the "ecovalve" which loads and unloads the pump as needed. That's all I have. Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:27 PM   #5
BMWHoochie
Rep

Quote:
I can't hear anything obvious in the videos. Your engine is nice and clean, though. Did your power steering pump have a connector? If yes, did you plug it back in? If it has a connector, the pump has the "ecovalve" which loads and unloads the pump as needed. That's all I have. Sorry!
Thanks, yeah I try to keep it clean cause you know BMWs and their leaks lol. The whining sound you can hear better when I am revving the engine. My pump is the non-active steering version. It didn't have a connecter just the low and hi-pressure lines on the top and side.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:43 PM   #6
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

I'd be surprised the pump is bad out of the box. I guess it could happen. Is the belt seated properly in all pulleys? Seems like it would pop in, if not, but just trying to think outside the box here..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 09:25 PM   #7
BMWHoochie
Rep

Quote:
I'd be surprised the pump is bad out of the box. I guess it could happen. Is the belt seated properly in all pulleys? Seems like it would pop in, if not, but just trying to think outside the box here..
Yeah, I wouldn't think it would be bad out of the box either. It has happened, but if that's the case, man I would be bummed. That is a process to get to that pump lol. The belt is nice and secure and properly seated.

I am hoping it's not the alternator or ac compressor making the noise. I spun those before I put everything back together and the pullies felt rock solid. I also used the mechanic's stethoscope and didn't really hear anything from those.

When I put it on the high and low-pressure hoses I could hear it which makes me think possible air still in the system? I called BMW and I will probably take it in for an inspection. I only have 40k miles so this is really irritating lol. Really appreciate the help and advice!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #8
BMWHoochie
Rep

Just a little update. It appears the whining noise is almost gone now. Getting the rack to fully bleed is a major pain. Before putting the pulley on the PS Pump, make sure to spin by hand. I used a screwdriver in one of the bolt holes and hand-cranked it to get fluid in the system. Also, turn the wheels to lock and then spin the pump again, and then you can put the pulley on, and start the bleed procedure again. Took a week for it to fully bleed for me. I used almost two-liter of CHF-11s.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 12:16 PM   #9
Bengineer330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 2011 E92 M3

I feel for you, not much worse than replacing a part and hitting the start button to only have the problem persist LOL.

Just curious, when you have the belt back on are you running the engine while you go lock-lock/
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 05:17 PM   #10
BMWHoochie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengineer330 View Post
I feel for you, not much worse than replacing a part and hitting the start button to only have the problem persist LOL.

Just curious, when you have the belt back on are you running the engine while you go lock-lock/
I know right lol. Yep, after I put the belt back on and started the engine I went lock to lock 20-30 times while avoiding staying in lock for more than a second. There is still a very small whine now, but I can live with that. That rack is a pain to bleed.
Appreciate 0