XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
rambino
M Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 / X6M

When I got my X6m, I avg'd 15 mpg at 70mph and around 10-12 city..

Im now happy to report I have raised it to 16-17 city and 25 mpg at 80mph highway..

Crazy you may say, insanity you may yell, lies you may scream.. but I assure you its not.. and id be happy to provide video proof of it...

Heres how I accomplished this.. Some of these mods May or May not attribute to this, but ive listed them anyways..

1. ESS tune (Although I dont think the tune/stock would make a difference I do feel my ESS tune is more efficient

2. Custom Highflow intake.. I have a thread on my setup elsewhere but I believe this greatly increased air flow into the engine

3. Downpipes to Supersprint Mid-section w X pipe to Megan Mufflers.. I dont run cats or resonators. My car is Quieter than Stock around town and is only loud when on full throttle.. The X pipe system from Supersprint (also Akropovic) is Highly efficient at increasing exhaust velocity while neutralizing exhaust pulses which makes the exhaust very quiet.. a sign of true efficiency

4. Heat wrapped Downpipes for more velocity flow and a Turbo blanket from PTP under the heat shields for more Turbo efficiency effective boost

5. Aftermarket diffuser with fins and a deck spoiler.. they work well to smoothen air flow around the car and remove turbulence... working Aero kits are very effective..

I make around 650hp and run 25 Mpg at 80mph...I believe the combination of heat and velocity management, a good tune, proper aero, increased intake and exhaust flow all add up to the 16/25 mpg I get.. its a Massive improvement from what I ran as OEM and im happy to provide proof for anyone who doubts this is achievable.. all on a 6 speed auto box... not bad..

**When I install my forged wheels and lose 80lbs of unsprung weight = to 480 lbs removed from the trunk, Im aiming for 27 mpg***

Cheers!
Appreciate 1
WI_Rob93.50
      08-29-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
GTB/ZR-1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pending...

Wow--that's really impressive...

Is that a display reading, or calculated @ fillup?

I just got my new (to me) X6M that has Akra DPs & RPI axle-back & was only able to get ~20 MPG on the highway @ 65-70, after a reset & closer to ~13 MPG/city.
Placing a Velos tune on it shortly & hopeful that'll help some.

Thanks for posting & nicely done!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 01:48 PM   #3
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

15 mpg city... 17 mpg highway....I thought that was acceptable until reading this.... My MPG improved when I switched to LL04 5w30 from LL01....either way never burn oil....
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

You don't buy an M to worry about mileage.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambino View Post
5. Aftermarket diffuser with fins and a deck spoiler.. they work well to smoothen air flow around the car and remove turbulence... working Aero kits are very effective..
Adding downforce (drag) to a brick will not increase your MPG.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by protecon View Post
You don't buy an M to worry about mileage.
I certainly can’t see putting thousands into mods to save gas money... if that was the main motivator.... I love this motor as it is....
Appreciate 0