XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-13-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
ItsJustMe
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

BMW CPO is replacing my N63 engine.

Is there a recall on remanufactured N63 engines?

Hi to anyone who reads this. I also apologize in advance for not knowing hardly anything about engines.

I have a 2012 X5 with the N63 engine. I bought it in 2015 as a certified preowned vehicle (47k miles). My CPO ends tomorrow. I now have 62k miles.
My car has been in BMW service for 36 days now. They going to replace my engine with a remanufactured engine. This decision was approved the second day that they had my car. Since then the updates went like this…
Day 2: BMW has approved the new engine and I will order it today.
Day 3: engine ordered should be here in 2 days
Day 8: the engine was “rerouted” and is now coming from Germany. It should be here next week. LOL
Day 20: It is still not here yet. Should be today or tomorrow.
Day 31: Not here yet. I will look into it more
Day 36: You are not going to believe this but there has just been a recall on a part that is inside your engine and all engines have been “rerouted back to Germany”. They still have to investigate and see what the issue is so that it can be fixed. I do not have an ETA for you at this time.

Now for my vehicle history…
2 months after I bought the vehicle I was having hesitation on acceleration, black smoke, black soot and malfunction warnings. It had been in the shop 6 times totaling about 130 days not including this most recent. In the past they have…
1. Charged me a $135 diagnostic fee and did nothing. They said Costco gas could be causing it because their premium gas is bad and that they combine unused gas from many tanks…blah blah blah. He advised me to run the car for 2 weeks with good gas from Chevron. That service advisor is no longer working there. And I was back 2 weeks later.
2. Replaced one injector & decoupling element
3. Replaced 2 injectors & decoupling element
Replaced all spark plugs
4. Replaced cylinder 1 ignition coil and 2 spark plugs
5. Replaced 7 ignition coils
Replaced all spark plugs again
6. (PUMA case was assigned on this one)
To many things to list here but basically, they replace all valve stem seals, all fuel injectors, all spark plugs, and injectors.
My car seamed to drive better but was not perfect. It would hesitate and lurch when I hit the gas. Then…. It started having me add oil….. then it wanted me to add coolant. So, for my next oil change I decided to go to a well-known Indy shop. The owner was so nice and showed me the places under the engine where I had leaks. (Right drivers side mostly) They were not bad leaks… it never dripped on my garage floor. But they were there. The Indy shop owner wrote down everything I needed to tell BMW before my CPO was up. And that is what I did. I have no idea what transpired to get them to replace the engine. But I happy they are. I felt kinda lucky in a way…. Until they told me the new engine will have no warranty since I am not paying for it, I told him id be happy to contribute $1 and he laughed. I didn’t.

So here are my questions….
1. I am pretty sure my service advisor thinks I am a dumb girl that he can just tell any mechanical story to and I will just say “ok”. Can anyone tell me if some kind of recall just happened? Is it likely that that the engine was stopped along its shipping path (Germany to US) and rerouted back to Germany? (eyeroll))))) I feel like he just keeps lying to me.
2. Do you think I should call BMW corporate office and complain? Do you think I could get them to give me a 2-year warranty with the engine?
3. I will have to pay a $50 deductible. Isn’t that like paying a portion of the cost?
4. Does anyone have any experience with remanufactured engines? I know they are better than rebuilt. I know that it will be better than the engine I had. I would like to sell this car but I owe more than I can sell it for.

So in the mean time I do have a really cool loaner that only had 7 miles on it when I got it. It is the X2. I have been enjoying driving it but it is a little small and this is the first car where I actually have to coordinate my clothing with the interior. I guess some people love fluorescent orange.

I am so sorry for the long post. Thank you in advance for all who have read it and any responses.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 08:29 PM   #2
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011X5 50iM-Sport;2016X3 35i M

Welcome!

I just joined this forum a week ago. I had a similar experience buying a 2011 X5 V8 about 2 months ago. It worked ok when I test drove the small loop which the dealer allows. When I was taking it home about 100 miles away, the check engine light comes and a since I did not want to drive all the way back, I showed it to my local BMW dealer. fuel pump faulty and a faulty MAF sensor. Dealer said it was due to non-premuim bad gas filled by the previous owner obviously trying to save money before trading in his X5. I had to replace the pump and the sensor. While at it might as well replace the spark plugs fouled by the cheap bad gas, also changed brake fluid, coolant fluid and engine oil as previous owner must have skimped on servicing . Also replaced crumbling engine bay partitions . In all I spent 4k more $$ to make the X5 roadworthy. Now it works like a charm.

Buying a used BMW is like rolling the dice
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #3
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

OP, you are waaayy too kind sir.

Without going into a whole long rant about what I'd do, just know that you deserve remedy. For starters, you should be in an X5 loaner not an X2. It goes without saying that your ride has serious problems and BMW should be behind you 110% trying to 1. Keep you content, and 2. Making you whole on repairs.
      08-13-2018, 10:23 PM   #4
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Wow, what a nightmare

At least CPO is covering the engine replacement. Quite a few people on this forum having to deal with N63 issue on their own/out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:03 PM   #5
ItsJustMe
Rep

Thanks for the replies. I know.... Everyone says I'm too nice. Tomorrow I'm going to call corporate and raise hell. Haha ok maybe not. I will work on it though. And yes... I'm very thankful for the new engine... that's if I ever get it. I was reading on another forum that so many people are getting new N63 engines and they may be very behind on the orders. Not sure if that's true or not. I will try to get some answers tomorrow.

Psssst...thevazha.... I'm a miss not a sir
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 01:09 AM   #6
Hanebo
Rep
Drives: E90 335i|E70 X5 50i M-Sport

I just purchased a X5 a month ago with a remanufactured engine that was just installed. The previous owner replaced all injectors, spark plugs and just replaced the turbo lines when the engine gave out on him. The previous owner had to wait about two months to get the engine out of Germany and since he didn't have a loaner car, he purchased a new car and decided to just sell the X5 once the engine swap was completed.

The previous owner had to purchase the engine and the shop took care of the labor to install. The remanufactured engine comes with a two year warranty and it is transferable to me(checked with BMW dealer).

I have driven the X5 almost 1,000 miles (I am doing the "new engine break in") and it drives awesome, no complaints.

What was the problem that caused your engine to be sent back to Germany? Makes me wonder if my engine needs to have some recall work done to it already.

The really should give you the two year warranty that comes with the remanufactured engine. You are still under CPO, so you already have paid for the remanufactured engine when you purchased the CPO car(that is what extended insurance policy covers)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #7
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Hello there Miss,
Someone will likely chime in who has a lot more understanding; however I found their statement that the engine wouldn't have a warranty alarming! I would ask a lot of questions about that, that seems highly unlikely. Perhaps they were talking about your CPO warranty expiring..?

As to your questions,
1- Not exactly a recall, but this particular engine has some issues that are being acknowledged by BMW, and there is also a class action lawsuit in the works as well. You may get a letter about this since you own one.
2- Yes, you should contact BMW NA if only to get the Truth about any warranty on a re-manuf engine.
3- the $50 payment is the standard deductible for any CPO covered work. Like any insurance deductible.
4- I would compare a Re-manuf'd engine to a new engine. Think of it as rebuilt 100% correctly by the factory, it should be up to the same specs and passed all the same tests with many many new components, if not mostly all.

Do keep us updated here on your new engine and resolution.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

There's been 2 additional recalls in the past few months (April & May of this year) - 11 total for a 2012 X5 xDrive50i. And that doesn't include the CCP, or Customer Care Package from a few years back. Your re-manufactured motor should have the CCP stuff already addressed, I would think.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2012/B...UV/AWD#recalls

CCP info - https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar166918.html
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 06:19 PM   #9
ItsJustMe
Rep

Well....i called corporate today. She was really no help at all. She knew nothing about anything. She didn't know about any hold up with engines being shipped. She just said "stuff like that can certainly happen". I asked about the 2 year warranty. She put me on hold to ask a supervisor. Came back on and said no warranty if it's fully covered under CPO. She said I only have the rest of my 6 yr/ 100k warranty.... which expires at midnight tonight.

I think I got the wrong person to answer at the corporate number.

Hanebo, thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear that all is well with the engine. It gives me a little bit of hope that nothing will go wrong if I'm not getting a warranty with my new engine. I'm still thankful to have the new engine. And it will be better than the engine I had. I almost feel silly to complain for something I'm getting for free but like you said...i paid a bigger price for cpo...i deserve the new engine. I need to not feel thankful and more like "they owe it to me". I think I feel that way because I'm so thankful that this all went down right before my cpo expired. I'm so thankful for that.

I'm not sure if my service advisor is being honest with me about the new engine being sent back to Germany due to a new recall. The lady I talked to only brought up air bag recall and the older n63 "care package" on her computer. I think it's more likely that my engine was never shipped due to low supply and my service advisor felt like an idiot for telling me "it's almost here" every week. Then he found out its backordered and won't be here for a while. I think he has been blowing smoke this entire time.

Heatmizr, yeah I do have the class action letter. I have gathered all of my oil receipts and will probably "opt in" concidering they are replacing my engine and not feeling the need for a formal lawsuit.

Like you, I am also shocked it won't come with a warranty. They say it's warranty on the new engine is only the life of my current cpo warranty because I'm getting the engine fully covered. My current warranty expires today. I am going to call corporate again and try to get someone different. If I get the same response....i will try to figure out how I can maybe escalate my concerns.

If anyone has a corporate contract that goes above and beyond...please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #10
ItsJustMe
Rep

Jiggz.... Thanks for the info. When I dropped my car off last month I had them also perform any recent recalls. On my papers they gave me at drop off.... It lists front drive shaft and airbags. No mention of the water pump. And I wonder why the lady at corporate office did not mention most of these.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #11
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
Jiggz.... Thanks for the info. When I dropped my car off last month I had them also perform any recent recalls. On my papers they gave me at drop off.... It lists front drive shaft and airbags. No mention of the water pump. And I wonder why the lady at corporate office did not mention most of these.
The 2 most recent recalls...parts aren't available yet. As long as BMW has you listed as the owner you'll get notification in the mail once parts are available. Or just keep the pressure on your SA, that's what I typically do. He will typically get me in for these recalls before I get the letter.

Good luck, sorry for the troubles. These really are great vehicles IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 11:05 PM   #12
TKR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e & 2018 330e

Quote:
1. I am pretty sure my service advisor thinks I am a dumb girl that he can just tell any mechanical story to and I will just say “ok”. Can anyone tell me if some kind of recall just happened? Is it likely that that the engine was stopped along its shipping path (Germany to US) and rerouted back to Germany? (eyeroll))))) I feel like he just keeps lying to me.
2. Do you think I should call BMW corporate office and complain? Do you think I could get them to give me a 2-year warranty with the engine?
3. I will have to pay a $50 deductible. Isn’t that like paying a portion of the cost?
4. Does anyone have any experience with remanufactured engines? I know they are better than rebuilt. I know that it will be better than the engine I had. I would like to sell this car but I owe more than I can sell it for.

1) Service Advisors always tell stories to customers to keep them satisfied. We never get to know half what is really happening in the shop. Sometimes there are experienced guys working with your car and the service goes as planned, and many times there are trainees (or just bad luck) who screw things up with your car and Service advisors do their best to explain something "reasonable" hoping customer will swallow it.
I would bet the engine was not sent back to Germany. There was either more urgent customer who got it, or it was damaged in shipping etc. They just had to order again, or wait your turn in the delivery.

2) I have also found that BMW North America has policy that IF customer did NOT pay for some part in recall, it is not warrantied unless whole car is under CPO or similar extended warranty. For example parts that are replaced in CCP recall do not have any parts warranty (if the car is older than 4 years or 50k miles and no CPO). There may be exceptions if you happen to have very nice relationship with your dealer and they already have made $.$$$ profit out of your wallet. Then it's just dealer goodwill.
I'm afraid you might be out of warranty with that new engine, unless you buy extension to your CPO or buy third company warranty for your car.

4) All depends how much skill the mechanic has who is installing the new block in your car. They will still use your existing electronics, turbos, AC compressor, steering pump, all coolant lines, and radiators etc. I believe you will get new spark plugs, coils and injectors with that remanufactured engine which is really good thing because they fail in N63 over time.
If everything is put together carefully and all the necessary gaskets and bolts are renewed and torqued properly, it should work perfectly for tens of thousands of miles. But if the mechanic is in hurry or he doesn't care, then the reliability can be whatever...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #13
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep

It would be worthwhile to consider trading in the X5 and cut your losses rather then keeping a lemon and throwing more money after it and not able to use it daily. I would have washed my hands off and cut losses.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #14
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Well. Her remanuf engine may be perfectly fine for another +50k miles. Mine has that many miles on it and has only needed spark plugs, filters, normal maint.

I'd certainly take a free(cpo) engine right now, considering I love the vehicle. I do see their point about not warranty-ing something past the original warranty period.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 12:47 PM   #15
ItsJustMe
Rep

Here is an update:

I made a claim with BMWNA. I asked for them to buy back the car. They told me that it will take up to 15 business days for the management team to make a decision. On the 16th business day I got the email that they will "Repurchase" the car for the full amount I paid for the used cpo car in 2015 plus all finance/interest charges and warranty charges. I signed immediately and am told I will be contacted by a company called Stericycle, LLC (ISG) to surrender my car (which is still in BMW service dept).

So I totally wasn't expecting this outcome.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #16
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is an update:

I made a claim with BMWNA. I asked for them to buy back the car. They told me that it will take up to 15 business days for the management team to make a decision. On the 16th business day I got the email that they will "Repurchase" the car for the full amount I paid for the used cpo car in 2015 plus all finance/interest charges and warranty charges. I signed immediately and am told I will be contacted by a company called Stericycle, LLC (ISG) to surrender my car (which is still in BMW service dept).

So I totally wasn't expecting this outcome. :thump:

Wow, right on! Considering how much these things lose value every year, you must be getting a nice amount of $ based on 2015 purchase date on a CPO'd 50i.

So what's next for you? The new G05 X5 is now in production
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #17
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Quote:
Here is an update:

So I totally wasn't expecting this outcome.
Props to BMW for doing this. They bought mine back as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 07:47 AM   #18
X5 MAN
Lieutenant
Rep

They said Costco gas could be causing it because their premium gas is bad and that they combine unused gas from many tanks…blah blah blah. He advised me to run the car for 2 weeks with good gas from Chevron.

This is mostly true. No one fills premium at Costco. Everyone is a penny pincher

My X5 was running perfectly when one day on a long 200 mile drive I filled her up with premium gas from a shit hole gas station near I-76 NJ turnpike. Immediately I got sluggish acceleration and CEL and low power warning. Got it cleaned and DTML fuel pump replaced at a dealer.

Bad gas specially dodgy pumps with poor sales can screw up your high performance engines. Its ok for Toyotas and Kias.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #19
biotechbadass
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 750i

Sounds exactly like what is going on with my 2012 750i that I bought in 2015 with around 25k miles. 12 weeks ago, when it had 59k miles, as I was driving on the freeway, the 'drivetrain malfunction' light went on; the engine started making a strange sound, then it went into neutral, car shut off, and I had to manually steer it to the side of the road. The battery also died and the towtruck driver said he'd have to drag it on the truck b/c we couldn't get the car in neutral. The car has been at the service department of the dealer where I purchased it (CPO) for 12 weeks. I got the same stories about the delay (also from a rude condescending service rep) 'it's coming from Germany by ship...it takes a long time'...then 'the engine is backordered'...then 'BMW is looking for a new supplier'. No estimates on timing. The service department can't provide me with any helpful info. I finally contacted Customer Relations for BMWUSA, and someone called me back. He said he'd try to find out what is going on. Maybe I'll ask them to buy my car back as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #20
biotechbadass
Rep

My dealer said BMW is looking for a new 'supplier' for these engines, hence the delay. Anyone else heard anything along these lines?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:14 PM   #21
mpower33
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5 E60

my car has been parked for around 2 months waiting for a new engine! I've been told the exact same thing, that some component must be tested or something, I'm hoping that the engine arrives sometime soon.
not to mention that this happened to me a month after I modified some cosmetic parts such as wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #22
biotechbadass
Rep

thanks. we're in the same situation! my car died one month after I had it repainted, got new wheels, and a new stereo! I was sure I'd get another 50k miles on it, so I invested in all that cosmetic stuff....just to have it sit at the dealer.
Appreciate 0