XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-14-2023, 08:09 PM   #23
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Honda manual yes please.
z335is356.00
      04-27-2023, 03:33 PM   #24
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
What would you guys choose between these two for a 3rd car to fill the MT void? I've found two super low-mileage 2021 models (both under 6k miles), but I'm struggling with what one to pick. I'm normally a Honda guy, but idk if the CTR is worth 12k more in this scenario, or maybe it is.

For some additional context, the wife drives a Model Y SR and I have a M3 xdrive. And yes I know there are many other choices out there, but I really have honed in on these two after driving countless other cars.

Thanks
I still don't trust Hyundai's. CTR between these two.

Other MT cars to consider as a 3rd car:

F87 M2 Comp - My personal best all around choice
Integra Type S - I like this over the CTR. I have yet to drive one though. Awaiting those reviews!
MK7.5 GTI - worth the maintenance IMHO, unlike a Hyundai. Convenient 4 door hatch. In 3rd because it's a VW that loves carbon buildup.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 04:49 PM   #25
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

the FL5 Type R is such an amazing car stock and its WAY better than the FK8 by miles.

if you can snag one under 50K with mark up, its a good deal, depending on the color with of course champ white being the highest market up. I've had friends get them for under 50k shipped from dealers out side of CA.

or just wait for the Integra Type-S and get it at MSRP.. just no bucket seats and more street friendly active suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 05:30 PM   #26
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

GR86 would be a more pure experience than either. its 300 pounds less than the civic, rwd, and shorter wheelbase by 6".

between the civic and voloster i'd pick civic all day. It might be 12k more, but will retain value much better than the hyundai. you'd probably be better off financially keeping the civic 3-5 years over the N.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 08:19 PM   #27
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
GR86 would be a more pure experience than either. its 300 pounds less than the civic, rwd, and shorter wheelbase by 6".

between the civic and voloster i'd pick civic all day. It might be 12k more, but will retain value much better than the hyundai. you'd probably be better off financially keeping the civic 3-5 years over the N.
I was never able to accept the FRS, BRZ, GR86. I get the handling prowess and the experience. There are too many loose ends with that platform for me to get excited.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 08:21 PM   #28
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 Civic Type R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOfTheDead View Post
I have a 2023 Kona N and it’s a blast to drive. In comfort mode it’s manageable as a daily but N mode turns it into the vehicular equivalent of a warthog. It’s just plain ridiculous sometimes and very different from my M4. I also think the interior quality in the Kona is better than the VN.

Yeah the CTR is a great car but finding a good one for less than $50,000 is difficult.
So we now own a '23 Kona N as well after trading the Veloster and Passat for it. I contemplating keeping the Veloster as well after owning it for only 10 months, but the dealership took it for practically MSRP after originally only offering $28k. Very fun car for what it is and it'll definitely be missed in the meantime but I'm hoping to replace it with a FL5 CTR here soon. I just need to find a dealer that's not out of their mind.

It's no CTR, but for $32,500 and a pleasant buying experience the Veloster N always felt like a steal compared to what everything else costs these days.

Name:  20230629_190253.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  393.6 KB

Name:  New Project - 2023-06-29T212308.043.png
Views: 1056
Size:  2.49 MB

Name:  20230627_130008.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  371.8 KB

Name:  20230627_123046.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  483.6 KB
Appreciate 1
SoCal_NSX2398.00
      06-29-2023, 08:47 PM   #29
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineBoost View Post
So we now own a '23 Kona N as well after trading the Veloster and Passat for it. I contemplating keeping the Veloster as well after owning it for only 10 months, but the dealership took it for practically MSRP after originally only offering $28k. Very fun car for what it is and it'll definitely be missed in the meantime but I'm hoping to replace it with a FL5 CTR here soon. I just need to find a dealer that's not out of their mind.

It's no CTR, but for $32,500 and a pleasant buying experience the Veloster N always felt like a steal compared to what everything else costs these days.

Attachment 3217122

Attachment 3217124

Attachment 3217123

Attachment 3217125
Congrats! "Fun". I've literally heard that word used to describe the Veloster by many people on various forums. Nice to be able to get out of a car for essentially what you paid or more. Good for you. What's your max ADM on an FL5? If you found a deal within your ADM comfort zone tomorrow, would you hit the switch?
      06-29-2023, 09:14 PM   #30
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Congrats! "Fun". I've literally heard that word used to describe the Veloster by many people on various forums. Nice to be able to get out of a car for essentially what you paid or more. Good for you. What's your max ADM on an FL5? If you found a deal within your ADM comfort zone tomorrow, would you pull the trigger?
Thanks! The Kona N is not quite the same level of fun to me being DCT, but it's pretty awesome for what it is. For sure, and walking away with a better rate and lower payment for the same term, and 1 less car to insure is pretty nice as well.

I like to think it's $0 out of principle given that I haven't paid over MSRP, but then again I've never attempted to acquire a car as sought after as the CTR. Depending on what my 335i sells for I may be able to justify more but the number that comes to mind is $3k ADM. Probably laughable in this market, I know.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 05:37 PM   #31
DocOfTheDead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineBoost View Post
Thanks! The Kona N is not quite the same level of fun to me being DCT, but it's pretty awesome for what it is. For sure, and walking away with a better rate and lower payment for the same term, and 1 less car to insure is pretty nice as well.

I like to think it's $0 out of principle given that I haven't paid over MSRP, but then again I've never attempted to acquire a car as sought after as the CTR. Depending on what my 335i sells for I may be able to justify more but the number that comes to mind is $3k ADM. Probably laughable in this market, I know.
I’m a die hard manual fan. My M4 is 6MT and I test drove the manual Veloster N. I’ll tell you what- when you really learn how to play with the DCT I think it lends a character to it that you can’t achieve with a manual. It’s the best auto I’ve driven outside of a PDK. I honestly have more fun with that thing than my BMW. And ohhhh Lordy does it get some stares when the exhaust is in N mode!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
stein_325i25067.50
      07-01-2023, 05:42 PM   #32
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
I'm a huge Honda fan, as you can see by my user name, but I've been jaded lately with my M3P....

If you test drove a those two cars back to back with M3P or even the M3LR you would most likely choose the Tesla...it is almost twice as fast 0-60 and has better lap times than both of those cars on most tracks also...trust me, my Porsche now feels like a 1968 VW Bug compared to my M3P

and the Tesla would cost less money....yeah it's not a manual, but there is something about that instant and insane speed that is so much fun and never gets old....

but if your are dead set on only one of the two choices, CTR all day...no question
agree with everything.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 08:05 PM   #33
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOfTheDead View Post
I’m a die hard manual fan. My M4 is 6MT and I test drove the manual Veloster N. I’ll tell you what- when you really learn how to play with the DCT I think it lends a character to it that you can’t achieve with a manual. It’s the best auto I’ve driven outside of a PDK. I honestly have more fun with that thing than my BMW. And ohhhh Lordy does it get some stares when the exhaust is in N mode!
Still breaking it in but the DCT is growing on me already. Yep, the N cars sound pretty awesome for 4 bangers with the exhaust in Sport+/N Mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 08:54 PM   #34
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm a huge Honda fan, as you can see by my user name, but I've been jaded lately with my M3P....

If you test drove a those two cars back to back with M3P or even the M3LR you would most likely choose the Tesla...it is almost twice as fast 0-60 and has better lap times than both of those cars on most tracks also...trust me, my Porsche now feels like a 1968 VW Bug compared to my M3P

and the Tesla would cost less money....yeah it's not a manual, but there is something about that instant and insane speed that is so much fun and never gets old....

but if your are dead set on only one of the two choices, CTR all day...no question
Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
agree with everything.
I respectfully disagree. And I'm not one of these Bimmerpost EV haters either. I've driven an M3P on three occasions including having one as a loaner. I've also owned two MYPs. Maximum torque at throttle tip in is an amazing phenomenon but, it does get old, to me. Do you know who it never gets old for? Our 4 year old and 2 year old. They seem to giggle every time I hit it, screaming "Weeeeeeeee!" and "more papa, more!" The acceleration is other worldly but that's all it has. The driving dynamics just aren't there. The grift is, at this time, EVs have no soul. I say "at this time" because I expect that to change at some point but we're a ways off.

While my 718 Cayman GT4 isn't the fastest car I've driven or owned, the way it makes me feel is something else. The same, but different for my FL5 CTR. Those cars are special in their own right. My Tesla just can't do that for me and candidly, right now, I'm not sure an EV can feel special.
      07-02-2023, 09:57 PM   #35
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. And I'm not one of these Bimmerpost EV haters either. I've driven an M3P on three occasions including having one as a loaner. I've also owned two MYPs. Maximum torque at throttle tip in is an amazing phenomenon but, it does get old, to me. Do you know who it never gets old for? Our 4 year old and 2 year old. They seem to giggle every time I hit it, screaming "Weeeeeeeee!" and "more papa, more!" The acceleration is other worldly but that's all it has. The driving dynamics just aren't there. The grift is, at this time, EVs have no soul. I say "at this time" because I expect that to change at some point but we're a ways off.

While my 718 Cayman GT4 isn't the fastest car I've driven or owned, the way it makes me feel is something else. The same, but different for my FL5 CTR. Those cars are special in their own right. My Tesla just can't do that for me and candidly, right now, I'm not sure an EV can feel special.
to be fair, an MYP and M3P are completely different cars when it comes to handling and feel...the 3 is on rails compared to the Y...the M3P is faster around a short track than most modern day Porsches including my 718, even the 4.0 GTS and many other very respected sports cars and sport sedans... To me the abaility to embarass the guy in his Hemi 392 Hellcat that tries to test you never ever ever gets old happened today as a matter of fact and it is a kick hearing that monstrous V8 fade as it quickly falls behind my soulless silent assassin ...
It might not "have a soul" but it sure likes to take a few souls now and then

Still love my slow 6MT 718 for that analog nostalgia, but the M3P has ruined my sense of what a car is supposed to do when you hit the accelerator and is an absolute joy to drive on a daily basis
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 10:31 PM   #36
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
to be fair, an MYP and M3P are completely different cars when it comes to handling and feel...the 3 is on rails compared to the Y...the M3P is faster around a short track than most modern day Porsches including my 718, even the 4.0 GTS and many other very respected sports cars and sport sedans... To me the abaility to embarass the guy in his Hemi 392 Hellcat that tries to test you never ever ever gets old happened today as a matter of fact and it is a kick hearing that monstrous V8 fade as it quickly falls behind my soulless silent assassin ...
It might not "have a soul" but it sure likes to take a few souls now and then

Still love my slow 6MT 718 for that analog nostalgia, but the M3P has ruined my sense of what a car is supposed to do when you hit the accelerator and is an absolute joy to drive on a daily basis
They're not the same, which is why I mentioned I've driven an M3P enough to know what it's capable of. What you keep getting hung up on are these 0-60 times and how fast it can lap a "short track". No one is debating those data points. Those figures are undisputed. But at the end of the day, people still don't care how lightning quick these Teslas are. It's just like the Corvette Z06. It's always punched well above its weight from a pricing standpoint, as far back as the 90s, running down supercars. Still a hard pass for me and I know I'm not alone.
      07-02-2023, 11:42 PM   #37
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
They're not the same, which is why I mentioned I've driven an M3P enough to know what it's capable of. What you keep getting hung up on are these 0-60 times and how fast it can lap a "short track". No one is debating those data points. Those figures are undisputed. But at the end of the day, people still don't care how lightning quick these Teslas are. It's just like the Corvette Z06. It's always punched well above its weight from a pricing standpoint, as far back as the 90s, running down supercars. Still a hard pass for me and I know I'm not alone.

well the performance, whether it is 0-60 or on a track or mountain pass, is a very important part of what makes a true enthusiasts car ...I've never got hung up brands or if it is NA, turbo'd, hybrid or EV....as long as it is fun and looks good and puts a smile on your face is all that matters at the end of the day. 98% of the population will never track their cars, so pointing out the performance value in those catogories is just simply pointing out that these are not just good for going fast in a straight line, they are actually very capable street cars for any kind of driving..most people love value, and if you can get a car that outperforms an M3, AMG, Panamera, etc for 1/2 or 1/3 the price ...they will quickly learn to live without a noise maker
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 08:33 PM   #38
AlpineBoost
Captain
Rep

Garage List
New answer: CTR
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Clark_Kent2223.00
RM72891.00