XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

07-18-2022, 02:30 PM   #1
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Karting

Anyone on here into karting of any kind? I've done the rental karts for a while and am considering picking up one of my own. Seems like an economical way to get out and have some fun. I've been looking for a TaG 125 of sorts.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 04:04 PM   #2
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Haha nothing beyond K1 speed occasionally.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #3
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
You live in Florida where Tag and Shifter kart racing is common. Jealous for that reason, My Tag is so outdated it's now just taken to auto-x and occasionally a lemons race. Suggest joining a rental series first it might steer you in Tag or Shifter direction.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 08:09 AM   #4
xxTHIR13ENxx
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Jumping on board on this thread, too.
Very much into karting, but never really go out and look for events. I usually just tag along whenever something is happening.

Where abouts in FL are you?
- Leo.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2022, 02:58 PM   #5
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
You live in Florida where Tag and Shifter kart racing is common. Jealous for that reason, My Tag is so outdated it's now just taken to auto-x and occasionally a lemons race. Suggest joining a rental series first it might steer you in Tag or Shifter direction.
As much fun (and cool factor) there is for a shifter, I don’t know that I’d be ready to jump in to that side of the pool just yet.

Would really enjoy a rental series, but we just don’t have anything nearby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxTHIR13ENxx View Post
Jumping on board on this thread, too.
Very much into karting, but never really go out and look for events. I usually just tag along whenever something is happening.

Where abouts in FL are you?
- Leo.
I’m in North Florida, Tallahassee area specifically. There’s a dedicated track only about 20 minutes from my house in Monticello (https://www.mkmc.us/). Went there a couple weekends ago and talked with one of the guys for a good while. Took me around the track and sounds like a consistent, large group of TaG 125. Would be perfect. Another good track over towards Jacksonville so I hear.

I’m a little apprehensive on picking something up as we should be moving in the near future. But when we do, we’ll have quick access to Atlanta Motorsports Park, Carolina Motorsports Park, and GoPro Motorplex. May still be a good get.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 03:30 PM   #6
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Anyone on here into karting of any kind? I've done the rental karts for a while and am considering picking up one of my own. Seems like an economical way to get out and have some fun. I've been looking for a TaG 125 of sorts.
I am taking a deep breath as I start this reply as I started in karts when I was 16 with a McCulloch I am now 70. I have raced all over the country north to south and east to west and Canada.

The reason I am taking that deep breath is that getting into a race kart is a serious endeavor. Any real race is going to require a current helmet and a Hans and race suit is highly recommended.

Everything is smaller than a real car but costs don't suggest that and everything is technical concerning equipment and setup and you haven't even been on the track yet. And you have to figure how to get your kart, stand and tools to the track as well. I used to put mine on top of a diesel rabbit and there are other options but you will see full blown trailers and motor homes at the tracks if you go. Bottom line is that a real kart requires a real commitment. It is NOTHING like an arrive and drive at any of the karting places you may have gone to.

I see you are in Florida. I suggest you go to the WKA speedweek at Daytona and walk the pits. Everyone will talk to you and all the vendors will be there. And you can decide if you want a road racer, a sprint kart on asphalt or dirt. I have raced both sprint karts on the big track as well as a lay down enduro and loved every second. I only sold my karts a few years ago as my sons never had an interest and a local kid begged me to sell it all to him. He says he is having a great time and I sold him a pair of Yahama's, he now is looking to upgrade! <G>

///Rich

PS- I have been beaten (the only time I saw them when I was being lapped) by Andretti's, Mark Dismore, Lake Speed, Scott Pruett and others who's name you wouldn't know but were FAST!

Go for it but don't think it's something you can do occasionally for fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 07:35 PM   #7
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
I just got back from my lemons race and we used 77 gallons of fuel at $4.75 so that right there would pay for tires and consumables in karting. Granted we came in 3rd overall with asimple BMW E30 with a built ETA engine.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614882.00
      08-07-2022, 09:49 PM   #8
Rich.Wolfson
Thaumaturge
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
I just got back from my lemons race and we used 77 gallons of fuel at $4.75 so that right there would pay for tires and consumables in karting. Granted we came in 3rd overall with asimple BMW E30 with a built ETA engine.
At least the Lemon races require a current helmet and HANS.

Last I heard a set of Kart tires is around $250 and the people up front have new ones for each race weekend. BUT, my point is that karting is not something you do casually. Race Karts are not toys. They are real race machines and most of the world champion drivers learned their craft in a kart. And each time you sit in the seat, there is always the possibility of a trip to the ER or worse.

And one last thing, when I left Karting, now around 15 years ago, I had 3 engines and a whole lot of parts with me for each weekend.

But if you want to have fun, an indoor karting league that is arrive and drive is a lot of fun.

///Rich
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614882.00