XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > X5 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

02-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
JDNY516 35d take 2 Journal

So as some of you know, my previously mint 35d was totaled a few weeks ago. Well I am back...again....This is now my 3rd 35d and 5th X5 (two E53 iS models). I wish this was an LCI model but for the money, and maintenance records/history I won't complain.

2009 BMW X5 35d
Black Sapphire Metallic (475)
Schwarz Black Perforated (LVSW)
Sports Package
Active Driver Seat
Ventilated Front Seats
Rear Heated Seats
Rear Climate
Heated Steering Wheel
Running Boards
3rd Row
Self Leveling Rear Suspension
Rear Entertainment
Two-Owner
154k Miles

OEM+ Plans:
[X] Remount Roof Rack + Snowpack Extender (when needed)
[ ] Trans Tune
[ ] Rear Entertainment Delete
[ ] 3rd Row Delete (add back the OEM spare tire kit)
[ ] Rear Cargo Lift Bracket/Strut Kit
[ ] Wheel change from OEM Style 214
[ ] LUX H8 AE
[ ] Wakaa Carplay 10.25in Screen

Maintenance Plans:
[X] Clean/Condition all Leather Seats
[ ] Fix P20EE Error
[ ] Replace Center Console Trim
[ ] Replace Cup Holder Trim
[ ] Replace worn out lower buttons
[ ] Replace Gear Selector "P" trim and Silver trim
[ ] Replace Center Vent trim
[ ] Headlight Restoration
[ ] Paint Correction (?)
[ ] Pre-LCI rear bumper replacement + Hitch cut out

02.10.21 - Delivery Day!

I searched hard for another 35d, but to my surprise the prices have gone up and most didn't have the options I wanted. Saw this one on XO and decided to give the seller a call. Vehicle has a lot more miles than I was looking for but with the amount of detailed maintenance and service history I hope that was enough peace of mind. Vehicle does have more options than my previous 35d but has the 3rd row and rear entertainment which I hate and will be getting rid of shortly. I'll start with rear entertainment as that doesn't require as many replacement parts. I am still researching which parts are needed for the 3rd row delete. I am not happy with the wheel setup but the vehicle does have brand new Pirelli winter tires on the style 212s. So, I guess on the bright side I have a dedicated winter wheel/tire setup for the future. Style 214s are definitely in the future.

Transport took a really long time from the east coast. They got hit with a snowstorm just days before pickup which delayed the process.

SUV came COVERED in salt, snow, grim, etc. I couldn't even seen out the windows driving home. I normally never go to a automatic car wash but it was almost unsafe driving. I'll give it a proper wash in a few days when it warms up. But cleaned up nicely and I thought I would hate the style 212s but they actually aren't bad. Just not very wide (255) so i'll still be replacing them. But for now they will do and be a dedicated winter setup.
Attached Images

Purchase your W///AGON Stickers Here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1930190

Last edited by JDAURIA; 02-11-2021 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      02-10-2021, 01:02 PM   #2
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Awesome, cant wait to see it!
      02-10-2021, 08:24 PM   #3
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Glad you're back! A new canvas, can't wait to see your work
      02-11-2021, 07:39 AM   #4
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Well CEL is already on...I swear nothing is ever easy. Seller swears there were no codes prior to selling the vehicle. I am getting the dreaded P20EE error. I am hoping this is just a NOx sensor replacement like my previous 35d. Off to the shop this morning as I have to get this thing sorted to register the vehicle here. It won't pass emissions with a CEL permanent code on.
Attached Images

Purchase your W///AGON Stickers Here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1930190

Last edited by JDAURIA; 02-11-2021 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 08:52 PM   #5
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
02.16.21 - CEL is gone, NOx sensors replaced.

Had to have both NOx sensors replaced to a tune of $1,183...I probably could've saved a bit if I just did them myself but after moving to CO I don't currently have the space to do them. Indy shop charged me $429/sensor when I know I could get these for about $300 on my own and about 2.5 hrs of labor. Off to emissions tomorrow, and registration Thursday. Let's hope all goes well and smooth sailing from here on out. This has really made me debating going full delete, even though my county doesn't really allow it, and we need to pass emissions every year.

Not all bad news: I plan to stop by the insurance junk yard Friday to see the old beast. The insurance company is letting me go to the yard to gather my old wheels/tires back! They were Style 214 wheels and brand new Nokian tires. I currently have these Style 212s which have grown on me, but no where near the perfection of 214s. So I plan to swap them out quickly on Friday afternoon with a buddy who has generously agreed to lend a hand. I will ask the yard what their plans are for the vehicle, if they plan to dump it at a pick & pay place I may go and take a few more items off the vehicle. I do know a guy who wants to buy the entire vehicle and fix it up as well.

Appreciate 2
Nyc Dito112.50
argento538.00
      04-08-2021, 02:59 PM   #6
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
04.08.21 - It has been awhile...

Not really much to report. After the NOx sensor debacle, the vehicle has been pretty solid ever since with no other issues. Now that I've been able to sort through all the maintenance records, I can put together a list moving forward. In terms of modifications, this vehicle will not get any - it will stay completely stock for the most part. Recently took off the winter set of Nokian tires and the Michelin's are back on, still love them.

I replaced the Trunk Release Button and the Fan speed Button recently with some Amazon parts. Not really much to report on that - better than paying OEM price. Topped up vehicle with DEF.

Approaching 157,000 miles: only things that are bothering me right now is the 3rd row seating, rear entertainment system and the old CCC system. I have slowly started to put a parts listing together for the 3rd row delete. If anyone has more details on this, please pass along, would be greatly appreciated. I assume for the rear entertainment delete, I just need the top trim piece and the dead space/accessory box in the rear (below the HVAC controls).

Replacing the old CCC system. I am really lost here and now sure what to do. I have reached out to an enthusiast who puts together CCC to CIC conversion kits - this is what I am leaning towards. I thought about Wakaa system but after researching and reading reviews, probably not going that route. As for AVIN, seems like a solid system but again with it's own quirks. Honestly would just like bluetooth music - I think my AUX port is broken because I tried a BT dongle and it didn't work.

OEM+ Plans:
[X] Wheel change from OEM Style 214
[ ] 4x4 10.25in Android Infotainment System

Maintenance Plans:
[X] Fix P20EE Error
[X] Replace worn out lower buttons
[ ] Remove Phone Cradle!
[ ] Replace Center Vent trim
[ ] Paint Correction (?)
[ ] Valve Cover Gasket Replacement (?)
[ ] Diagnose Front Brake Squeak
Attached Images

Last edited by JDAURIA; 04-09-2021 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
argento538.00
      04-09-2021, 08:09 AM   #7
argento
Captain
Rep

^Tough.

I couldn't get a BT dongle to work either and I have CIC. The Android Monitor might be the path of least resistance...
      04-09-2021, 08:17 AM   #8
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
^Tough.

I couldn't get a BT dongle to work either and I have CIC. The Android Monitor might be the path of least resistance...
Oh really the BT dongle didnt work for yours either? I thought maybe my USB/Aux port was broken. I was just going to replace that to start my first troubleshoot as they are not expensive. But looks like they just flat out don't work which is odd. I used BT dongle in my E90 M3 and it worked (granted it was CIC system). It even worked in my E46 M3.

The CIC retrofit is 95% plug and play, just some coding needed. There is a guy on E90post who offers a full kit. I am just waiting to hear back from him.

argento Hasn't your experience with AVIN system been up and down?

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #9
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNY516 View Post
argento Hasn't your experience with AVIN system been up and down?

YES (I now have the 4x4 unit and replaced my 2018 Avin unit), but still worth the purchase to me. In the end it mostly works, on occasion I'll get quirks that are frustrating and you have to learn the system to get the most out of it, not like oem where it's all intuitive.

To name a few quirks: default audio player upsamples music files to 96kHz poorly (with no way to change sampling rate), CarPlay audio skips on occasion, I have to reset the media volume every time at startup when using a DAC, the audio (NAV/Calls) sent to the center dash speaker is poor, the audio eq with the default music player makes very little different if any when adjusted...

What I do like about it is the big screen, I can watch movies via the movies anywhere app, and I've added a DAC and UAPP player app which can play my ALAC music library with exceptional sound (again, with some quirks, still testing). I just updated my build thread post #210 with new details I've learned testing the Dragonfly Red DAC. And this week I bought the Dragonfly Cobalt to see what that sounds like...

Last edited by argento; 04-09-2021 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 08:53 AM   #10
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
CarPlay (Maps) and BT Music is really all I need.

Well I pulled the trigger on the 4x4 INAV unit for my CCC replacement! I have never done a conversion like this, so hopefully it is straightforward. I am off on vacation tomorrow but when I get back the unit should be on my doorstep.

Last edited by JDAURIA; 04-09-2021 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 04:15 PM   #11
argento
Captain
Rep

Wow, that was a fast decision! lol.

Is that the infotainment system? If so, I have install notes on pg.7/post 149 in my bld thread.
      04-09-2021, 04:20 PM   #12
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
Wow, that was a fast decision! lol.
Trust me the decision wasn't just for me. Ever since we got this '09 the misses is always asking about not having BT connectivity...(not my fault the '11 was totaled! )

We plan on taking a road trip in a few months back east so having a better infotainment system will definitely be beneficial. Maps, Music, and potentially the ability to stream Netflix on the 25+ hour road trip will be a nice touch.

In addition, I plan on removing the rear entertainment system while I am installing the 10.25in INAV along with the stupid phone cradle. Might as well knock it all out as the entire center console will be dissembled. I will probably add some How-To's threads as I haven't really found information on this stuff.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 05:53 PM   #13
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
04.20.21 - Phone Cradle Removal, started 10.25 install

OEM+ Plans:
[ ] 4x4 10.25in Android Infotainment System

Maintenance Plans:
[X] Fix P20EE Error
[X] Remove Phone Cradle!
[ ] Replace Rear Wiper Arm, Cover
[ ] Paint Correction (?)

Posted DIY for Phone Cradle removal as I didn't see one posted. Straight forward, total of (3) torx bolts and removal of (3) electrical harness connectors. Still missing the blocking plate, but I'll wait to find a parts car for now. (DIY: https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1818763)

Also, received the INAV 4x4 10.25 unit! I started the install and I will post my crappy DIY in the discussion section later this week. I am about 85% complete. I am having a really hard time getting the lower idrive/dvd player back into the vehicle with all the wires. Seems the harness is getting caught on the top section of the idrive/dvd piece of hardware. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. In addition, I am getting no sound! The videos are helpful but they don't give the full installation. They mentioned using an audio cable that routes to the center console AUX/USB but also mentioned that if you have the in/out OEM audio harness in the center (behind the screen) that I can utilize that. Maybe that's for GPS only??

Everything else seems to work as it should, touchscreen, original CCC system, idrive knob functionality, wireless carplay!, etc. Just no sound. I may have to just add that audio cable and route to the center console.

Bought some Colorbond to refresh the center console and cup holder trim pieces. I am not paying $150/each for those things. Purchased on Amazon and got some sand paper, will be my weekend job: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lastly, got a snow storm last night and it took out my rear wiper arm/cover/blade. So I need to replace those. Any idea hope to get the assembly off after you remove the 13mm nut? Just pull hard?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:24 AM   #14
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
04.21.21 - Infotainment System Upgraded!

I am 99% done with this retrofit. Overall, pretty straightforward but other vehicles may differ along with different options (aftermarket GPS, camera, wifi, etc). Other than swapping over the optical cord from OEM harness to aftermarket harness it is a plug & play system, removal of numerous screws, torx bolts, and trim pieces. This took me about 3 hours or so, but I bet I could do it in under 2 hours now if I had to do it again. I will say the sound quality isn't superb but I am still messing around with settings to figure it out. I need to put the passenger side carpet panel back on.

OEM+ Plans:
[X] 4x4 10.25in Android Infotainment System

Maintenance Plans:
[X] Fix P20EE Error
[X] Remove Phone Cradle!
[ ] Paint Correction (?)

INAV system is a big upgrade over my old and slow CCC system. My old system did not have bluetooth capabilities either so this aftermarket unit at least puts me 2013+. Bonuses: retaining factory CCC system just in case I need to reference back, wireless carplay, touchscreen, wifi obd2 port reader.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
argento538.00
      04-26-2021, 08:46 AM   #15
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
04.25.21 - Removal of Rear Entertainment System, refresh center console trim pieces, and purchased rear wiper assembly - should be here in a couple days.

OEM+ Plans:
[X] Rear Entertainment Delete

Maintenance Plans:
[X] Fix P20EE Error
[X] Remove Phone Cradle!
[X] Replace Center Console Trim
[X] Replace Cup Holder Trim
[ ] Paint Correction (?)

Rear Entertainment System Removal: I honestly wouldn't recommend removing this system unless you have patience and/or really don't want the system. It was very frustrating trying to figure this out as there isn't much information out there on it's removal. In the end, it actually is not a hard removal, just very time consuming. The center console needs to be broken down almost 85% to remove the entertainment bracket. I think I was about 6-8 bolts away from being able to literally take the entire center console out of the vehicle. I really did not want the system, as I would hit my elbow constantly when the screen was down and it just takes up room.

References:
- This YT video for breakdown of the center console was helpful - is not in english and they do not have the rear entertainment system so it was only helpful to a certain point.

- Page 2 post #39 of Evan's build thread goes over the actual rear screen disassembly : https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...1605036&page=2
Attached Images

Last edited by JDAURIA; 04-26-2021 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 03:00 PM   #16
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Center Console Trim pieces: so the trim pieces came this way from the previous owner. I guess too much sun exposure? I am not sure but it was starting to bubble around the edges and was bothering me. To replace these trim pieces new from factory is $150/each! Stupid price for a piece of plastic if you ask me, but not surprised. I assumed these trim pieces use the same material as the E46 M3 center console trim that gets scratched up so I bought some Colorbond LVP Black BMW spray paint (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Sanded down the parts and spent about 1.5 days doing a few layers.

Here is the results - not perfect but definitely better than before and better than $300
Attached Images

Last edited by JDAURIA; 04-26-2021 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
argento538.00
///SY33140.00
      04-29-2021, 12:30 PM   #17
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
04.27.21: Power Steering and Brake Fluid flush/fill service.

During service, I was able to get underneath the vehicle and do a visual inspection. I also developed a knock up front in the suspension. Looks to be lower control arm needs replacement. Notice valve cover gasket leak, swirl flap leak and lower charge pipe leak. Of course on the way over to the shop, one xenon bulb goes out as well...

Just ordered OEM lower charge pipe, lemforder lower control arms (Left and Right - might as well do them in pairs), OEM valve cover gasket + injector seals, swirl flap delete kit and xenon D1S bulb.

OEM+ Plans:

Maintenance Plans:
[X] Remove Phone Cradle!
[X] Replace Center Console Trim
[X] Replace Cup Holder Trim
[ ] Paint Correction (?)
[ ] Valve Cover Gasket Replacement
[ ] Lower Charge Pipe replacement
[ ] Swirl Flap Delete
[ ] Xenon Bulb replacement
[ ] Lower control arm replacement

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 07:51 PM   #18
XRatedM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' X5M - 19' VW GTI

Subscribed. Love the detailed posts!
      05-08-2021, 07:17 PM   #19
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
05.08.21 - Maintenance Day

Had a knock in the driver side lower control arm so replaced both driver/passenger parts with Lemforder.

Valve cover gasket was original with over 157k miles on it and needed to be replaced. Original gasket was brittle, hard and turned to plastic. New gasket will help tremendously. Did not get the swirl flap delete parts in time so that will have to wait and noticed the J Pipe was leaking so that will have to be replaced as well.

Typical lower charge pipe leak, replaced with OEM charge pipe.

OEM+ Plans:

Maintenance Plans:
[X] Valve Cover Gasket Replacement
[X] Lower Charge Pipe replacement
[X] Xenon Bulb replacement
[X] Lower control arm replacement
[ ] Paint Correction (?)
[ ] Swirl Flap Delete
[ ] J Pipe Oil Line replacement

Still chasing Xenon issue on the passenger side. Checked voltage and had it hooked up to ISTA. Replaced the xenon bulb but that did not help. We noticed the battery was low, so I will put it on a tender overnight to charge/maintain it and see if that helps. Does not look like FRM issue which was my original thought. It could be xenon module...which are expensive...I plan to do some more trouble shooting tomorrow: I will check the battery stamp date to see how old it is. I will swap the xenon bulbs driver to passenger side. In addition will swap the angel eye bulbs - they are aftermarket and may have something to do with it all.

Old parts pictured below
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #20
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

how crispy was the VCG? did you go with OE BMW VCG?

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 06:12 PM   #21
JDAURIA
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW  [0.00]
2016 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
how crispy was the VCG? did you go with OE BMW VCG?
It was brittle, cracked and broke into pieces. Yes OEM gasket.
Appreciate 0