XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
Steadyspeed
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

High pressure fuel pump, HPFP

I figured I would try to help others with this same issue that I had.

Upon buying my 2012 X5 35i last year with 84,000 miles, I noticed it had a longer than normal crank duration before starting. There were no other issues and it wasn't that bad. The build date on my vehicle is 9/11. Its been to the dealer a few times for recalls (drive shaft, etc.) and I have asked about the long crank and any possible fuel pump recalls on my vehicle. There was nothing on my 2012 X for the HPFP and they said just to keep and eye on it and let them know if it gets worse. (To my local dealers defense, they are really nice and I've never had a issue with them and they have taken really good care of me and all my E46's) (I typically do all my own work, except for recalls)

So fast forward to last week, upon driving I noticed a whine/squeal. It sounded just like a belt pulley.. So I ordered all new pulleys and a belt. My X now has 98K miles so I thought they were due to be changed. (the noise was intermittent and by the time I would get somewhere to check it, the noise would go away when the vehicle was in neutral)

I changed all the pulley's and belt and the whine/squeal seem to go away.. Or at least it went away until I drove it over an hour. Short drives made no noise..To sum this all up, while on a long drive from home my X started to squeal/whine loudly and it sounded like it was coming from the bottom of the motor around the back, really close to the transmission. (I thought it was my torque converter at first) It did it worse in gear and got quieter in neutral.
But I thought maybe the noise was just traveling through the motor.

I ordered a new HPFP and proceeded to change it out. It took about 2 hrs taking my time making sure not break anything. I did not remove the intake, but you will need long ball tipped allen sockets to take 3 pump screws out. (along with patience) I think it was a 5 or 6mm. I got my set from Lowes.

It starts super fast now and actually seems to run a little smoother. I also changed the water pump and thermostat while I was in the garage to be safe for the summer.

A few tips on the water pump, I found it easiest to remove the fan, and pull the thermostat and pump up through where the fan was. Just use caution not to hit the radiator to much. A piece of cardboard slid down against the radiator might help from damaging anything. I also removed the passenger side tire and the little plastic piece to get access to some of the hose clamps. There will be coolant everywhere. I think I used about 2 gallons of coolant when I was done. (yes I used BMW blue coolant diluted to 50/50 and checked with a hydrometer)

If anyone has any questions, I'll try to answer on what I did. I'm sure I forgot something, its a Monday morning. I've spent $1200 in the last week and the X is running great again, if it goes another 100K without anymore issues I'll be happy.
Appreciate 1