XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-31-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
jgrote
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
Garage Door Opener Problems

I decided to program the garage door button on my 2011 X5 35i tonight, and things did not go well. I, of course, started by reading the instructions. I pushed buttons 1/3 to clear all existing memory, and the LED did as it was supposed to. Ok, all codes cleared now. Then I went to pair my remote with the car. The LED just blinks slow. No matter where I hold the remote, I never get a fast blink. I tried 2 different remotes and it made no difference. I held down the buttons until the LED on the mirror stopped blinking. (Many, many times.) Does anyone have any pointers on how I can get these paired. I understand that once they are, I will then have to go through the "learn" process since I have a fairly new opener. But I have to get the car to clone the remote first!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

You may need a repeater like this one https://www.liftmaster.com/customer-...l-homelinkrptr
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 10:29 PM   #3
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
You may need a repeater like this one https://www.liftmaster.com/customer-...l-homelinkrptr
Funnily enough, I actually have an extra one of those boxed new in my garage.

First things first though, give us the brand and model number of your garage door so we can help troubleshoot. I've dealt with your issue with a Wayne Dalton and a Liftmaster, so have a bit of experience
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
Molez93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M, 2001 740i

Quote:
So is this the typical solution for the usual problem? I had just given up on getting my Homelink to work in my prior '12 X5 or the latest '10 X5M. For $25, seems worth a try as long as it generally works (assuming my installing a replacement opener within the last ~4 years is the probable "culprit").
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #5
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

This.

Quote:
I'll never understand why people won't use the search function first before creating yet another pointless thread...

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...light=homelink
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Dunno about now, but few years ago liftmaster would send it out for free.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #7
jgrote
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post

First things first though, give us the brand and model number of your garage door so we can help troubleshoot. I've dealt with your issue with a Wayne Dalton and a Liftmaster, so have a bit of experience
It is a Liftmaster 8500 side mounted opener. https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-85...master+8500%5C
I had no idea about the repeater. Thanks for the link guys.

Edit: You don't want to sell it do you? I see you're in CO. Anywhere near Denver?

Last edited by jgrote; 02-01-2018 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #8
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post
Quote:

It is a Liftmaster 8500 side mounted opener. https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-85...master+8500%5C
I had no idea about the repeater. Thanks for the link guys.

Edit: You don't want to sell it do you? I see you're in CO. Anywhere near Denver?
Yup, the repeater will work like a charm. Same problem/solution with the liftmaster installed in my denver townhouse.

I'm in Montrose, but will be in Denver on Monday. PM me and I'll send you my number. No charge, just one BMW enthusiast helping out another.
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #9
jgrote
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Yup, the repeater will work like a charm. Same problem/solution with the liftmaster installed in my denver townhouse.

I'm in Montrose, but will be in Denver on Monday. PM me and I'll send you my number. No charge, just one BMW enthusiast helping out another.
PM'ed
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 04:46 AM   #10
Geraldransomeson441
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota

Hello,
I am also facing the problems in opening my garage door but i got the sollution for Garage door common problems. Garage door programming can be a bit tricky, but let's try to troubleshoot the issue together.

Here are some steps you can follow to help with the pairing process:

Ensure Battery: Double-check that the batteries in your garage door remotes are fresh and working properly. Weak or dying batteries can cause communication issues.

Proximity: Stand close to the rearview mirror where the built-in garage door opener buttons are located while programming. Being too far away can lead to a slow blink response.

Timing: When you press and hold the button on your garage door remote, make sure to do so within a few seconds of pressing the desired button (1, 2, or 3) on your car's mirror. Sometimes, the timing has to be precise.

Repeat the Clearing Step: Try repeating the step to clear all existing memory (pressing buttons 1 and 3) on your car's mirror before attempting to pair the remote again.

Garage Door Opener Compatibility: Ensure that your garage door opener is compatible with the HomeLink system in your car. Some newer openers use rolling codes that may require additional steps for programming.

Refer to the Manual: Consult your vehicle's manual for specific instructions on how to program the garage door opener. Different car models might have slightly different procedures.

Contact Support: If the issue persists, consider reaching out to your car manufacturer's customer support or a dealership. They can provide more personalized assistance and might even have a technician walk you through the process.

Remember that the process can vary from vehicle to vehicle, so it's essential to consult your car's manual or get in touch with the manufacturer's support for precise instructions.

I hope these suggestions help you successfully program your garage door opener in your BMW X5.

Last edited by Geraldransomeson441; 09-24-2023 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 02:41 PM   #11
westeresh915
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi etron GT

I had a similar issue with my X5. Try restarting the process by disconnecting the car Damaged battery for a few minutes. This can sometimes reset or damaged the system and allow successful pairing. If that doesn't work, reaching out to a BMW dealership might be the next step. Good luck!

Last edited by westeresh915; 09-24-2023 at 07:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 08:39 AM   #12
darronaustin018241564
Registered
Rep
Drives: audi

Sorry to hear about the trouble! It seems like a pairing issue. Have you tried Installing or restarting the car's track system or checking the remote battery? Sometimes a fresh start or a new battery might help in establishing the pairing successfully. Good luck, and hope you get it sorted soon.

Last edited by darronaustin018241564; 09-23-2023 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: info update
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 03:54 PM   #13
JellyStyle
Builder of Special Cars
Rep
Drives: G12 B7,F02 750li,E70 X5M,E46M3

There is one important fact with programming, when you program the Garage HomeLink Repeater, do not plug it into the wall outlet yet, first program the car home link to the remote that came with the bridge repeater. Once you program it, then plug in the Repeater into the wall, then push the learn button on the garage, and push the car button, it will work.

I had the same issues, you cant have the bridge plugged in while you do the initial car homelink programming.
Appreciate 0