XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-30-2017, 06:35 AM   #1
MillerMav
Patiently waiting until the spring
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

09 X5 35d stalling under acceleration

Good morning,

I have a 2009 X5 diesel. It has 190k miles and a full DPF system, Cat and EGR delete done by Matt Whitbread with a JR Performance tune. All has been well for about 1.5 years with this set up. No complaints, great power and great fuel mileage.

On Thursday I was driving my family to get hair cuts and as I was exciting the highway I accelerated a bit and the car began to stall and then, I had a complete loss of power then it shut off. I tried restarting and the starter just cranked so I shut it completely off. It then started right back up with no issue and I finished the trip. When leaving we stalled again in the parking lot accelerating and hung up hill (if it matters). I did the same thing for starting and got it most of the way home. Closer to home, just to see what would happen, I accelerated hard and it began to take off then just stalled and fell on its face.

I drove it to a shop yesterday morning and with driving for a good distance while paying close attention I can conclude that it only stalls under acceleration but not if I just barely accelerate. Anything harder than that and it will stall. Once it’s moving it stays moving unless I accelerate to hard then it will shut down.

I have a Carly and pulled the codes and got all sort of the stuff. The shop could recreate the problem but didn’t have a lot of experience with diesels. I am bringing it back home this morning and would like to figure this out before my wife has to go back to work on Tuesday.

I live in Howell Michigan, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 10:28 AM   #2
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

I suspect your low pressure fuel pump or high pressure fuel pump. Both can cause a no start situation. With Carly you can monitor and log using the parameter feature. I’d log rail pressure and hpfp duty cycle. That’ll at least tell you in you have fuel at the rail.

You can also unplug your rail pressure sensor, if it starts, you’ll need to replace the sensor.

Lastly, if it’s fuel related, don’t be alarmed if it’s hard to start once the failed part is replaced. It can take a while. If it’s the lpfp, use inpa or another method to fill the fuel system with fuel prior to starting. If it’s the hpfp or a sensor, you’ll need to keep cranking until all the air is out of the system. I recommend putting the car on a good battery charger as prolonged attempts can drain the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavE92 View Post
Good morning,

I have a 2009 X5 diesel. It has 190k miles and a full DPF system, Cat and EGR delete done by Matt Whitbread with a JR Performance tune. All has been well for about 1.5 years with this set up. No complaints, great power and great fuel mileage.

On Thursday I was driving my family to get hair cuts and as I was exciting the highway I accelerated a bit and the car began to stall and then, I had a complete loss of power then it shut off. I tried restarting and the starter just cranked so I shut it completely off. It then started right back up with no issue and I finished the trip. When leaving we stalled again in the parking lot accelerating and hung up hill (if it matters). I did the same thing for starting and got it most of the way home. Closer to home, just to see what would happen, I accelerated hard and it began to take off then just stalled and fell on its face.

I drove it to a shop yesterday morning and with driving for a good distance while paying close attention I can conclude that it only stalls under acceleration but not if I just barely accelerate. Anything harder than that and it will stall. Once it’s moving it stays moving unless I accelerate to hard then it will shut down.

I have a Carly and pulled the codes and got all sort of the stuff. The shop could recreate the problem but didn’t have a lot of experience with diesels. I am bringing it back home this morning and would like to figure this out before my wife has to go back to work on Tuesday.

I live in Howell Michigan, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #3
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
So, what codes did you pull?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
MillerMav
United_States
Rep

004c89
004b99

006ebd

00c947

00a6cf

00a82e
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 10:17 PM   #5
Morty97
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 35D

Hi curious if you have resolved the issue?, mine is identical setup done about 12000 kms and just started doing this last week. Shop that did the work replaced the exhaust back pressure sensor. Ran fine for 900 kms then did it twice this morning under medium hard acceleration.
codes are
Fuel filter heater control code 004B1B
Injector Bank 2 code 004B99
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #6
MillerMav
United_States
Rep

It was a faulty injector. #5 which seems to be an issue across all X5d vehicles.
Appreciate 0