XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-08-2018, 07:45 AM   #1
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

E70 X5M Stealth Hitch with CF Diffuser

Gents,

I'll need to be towing a trailer here in a couple weeks so I looked around for the best one that will let me keep my Vorsteiner CF Diffuser. I saw one picture that showed a guy trying to install an execuhitch and he mentioned that the bumper would need to be trimmed. I thought maybe only cut off the little bit that extends toward the front of the truck. I ended up ordering a similar design: the Stealth Hitch and did the install this week. It turned out to be much more cutting than expected. I think the finished product still looks great and isn't noticeable.

A few notes from the install:
1) The directions that come with the kit are great, but are generic to the E70 and display a single piece bumper cover while the X5M has a 3 piece that comes apart differently...Same basic concept though so the instructions still work.

2) The wiring seem daunting, but again, just follow the directions step by step and super easy.

3) I was surprised though, that this system completely replaced the stock impact bar (metal bumper). Other systems that I have seen have the hitch slide on and then the impact bar slide on over top, but this one deletes the impact bar entirely. I don't really like that because the impact bar actually went all the way back to the bumper cover, but the hitch only parallels the body and is several inches from the bumper cover. The impact bar is thin steel an meant to bend though, so doesn't really provide much more protection. The big negative on this replacement is that the impact bar has the tow points on it and the hitch does not replace those. You would not be able to say, winch the truck out of somewhere from the rear.

4) Also, be careful while pulling the bumper cover off when you have parking sensors...I unplugged mine, but didn't realize that two of them actually go through the impact bar. The wiring doesn't snag, but the angle I took the cover off knocked off one of my sensors...I had to epoxy the sensor mount back onto the bumper cover.

Here are some pics of installed hitch and cutting the bumper cover:

A note on bumper cutting: The first pic shows a small cutting wheel, I ended up using a much larger one that could reach through both layers. Cutting the carbon fiber was easy, the plastic bumper underneath was the hard part. I had to go back and forth cutting outside and inside. The big pain was that I test fit several times cutting as little as possible then I had a nice CF cover for the center fin and epoxy sealed the electrical cutout... ...as soon as I did the final install I realized I had to cut a lot more. You actually have to have the bumper completely installed before you realize the full extent of cutting required. That made my nice CF piece meant to cover the fin hole a piece of garbage. The hitch ball attachment does not move, period, so the small gap between the attachment and the bumper cover (3-5mm) doesn't pose a problem.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 2
      02-28-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Looks good, I do not have a rear diffuser, nor do I plan on getting one. Without the diffuser it appears this is a fairly straight bolt-on product. I would like a hitch on the X5M to tow my track car.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
as much as tow hook takes away from the look, in this case it does look well put, especially matching to the exhaust tips

did u look at the retractable options?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
as much as tow hook takes away from the look, in this case it does look well put, especially matching to the exhaust tips

I have been looking at this one, just searching for any reviews, and want to ensure I am not losing any towing capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=4vAKnHQedIY

https://stealthhitches.com/products/...2011-2012-2013
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
mhkm
The Doctor
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i; 2013 E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlpower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post

I have been looking at this one, just searching for any reviews, and want to ensure I am not losing any towing capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...;v=4vAKnHQedIY

https://stealthhitches.com/products/...2011-2012-2013
I installed the OEM electric retractable hitch on my 2013 X5M.
Works great and no cutting whatsoever.
      04-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
pjfox23
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35i, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkm View Post
Any part number? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 10:08 PM   #7
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkm View Post
any pictures?
Appreciate 0