XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-16-2018, 01:30 AM   #1
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

N63 Catch Can Install

When my 2012 50i started smoking so bad out the tail pipes it could have been used in a James Bond movie, I installed a couple of low cost catch-cans (40 dollars each on Amazon)and it so far after 1000 miles it's done an amazing job with zero smoke out the pipes (I thought for sure I would have to do the valve guide seals and maybe the turbos, it was burning a quart every 75 to 100 miles it was so bad!).

Just checking to see if there was anyone else out there that is interested in doing it to the N63, if so I'll take the time to write it in and take some pics.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
I'd be curious to see how you hooked them up. And what caused the smoke. I'm not sure that I would install them because then I'd have to empty them pretty often.

I'd rather just fix the root cause. Maybe your catch cans do both?
Appreciate 1
TTV8M118.00
      07-18-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
dudezi
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

plz post pics.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan5034 View Post
I'd be curious to see how you hooked them up. And what caused the smoke. I'm not sure that I would install them because then I'd have to empty them pretty often.

I'd rather just fix the root cause. Maybe your catch cans do both?
I think the N63 (non-TU) is like the S63 where there's not a crankcase filtration system built into the valvecover. The only mechanism of separating the oil from crankcase vapors is ridged tubing. Overtime the area between the ridges gets caked with oil. This creates less turbulence and a smoother flow of oil/vapors to the intake system. This is a poor design for filtration and don't understand why BMW would do this. They've designed good filtration systems for earlier BMW motors and could've even used those parts for the N/S63. Actually when I get my X5M back from the dealer, I plan to incorporate the cyclone filtration system from an S62 to my S63.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
TKR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e & 2018 330e

Labyrinth and cyclone oil separators are used on the N63 engine. One labyrinth separator and four cyclone separators are integrated in the oil separator housing of each cylinder bank
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TTV8M118.00
      07-29-2018, 05:39 AM   #6
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Sorry didn't mean to disappear there, Been nuts at work lately. I will post some pics up later today, Really easy to do and been working excellent so far, have 3,000 miles on it since I have did it in hot-as-balls Arizona weather from everything from stop and go traffic when its 116 out to, doing 130mph on the 303 at 3am.

Here is a link to the catch cans, excellent quality, price can't be beat, even has a built in dip-stick

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will include the pics of the mods I did to the CCV tubes to make this work. All you need is a couple of PCV valves, 5/8" heater hose (get silicone if you feel like being fancy), the catch cans, and some hose clamps.

BTW, I am taking my X5 to the dealer tomorrow to have its FRM replaced and can't wait for the WTF look on the techs when they see my catch cans under the hood (only cause its under warranty otherwise I would do myself but talk about a shit design, jump start your car and lose your power windows, door locks, lighting...yay good job BMW!) At least they extend the Warranty to 125K and 8 years. Going to ask for the old one back so I can reflash its eeprom and code it, need a back up for sure as in a few months I will be out of warranty with the way I drive..

Pics to come later today...

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 07-29-2018 at 06:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 05:47 AM   #7
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Wanted to add I think I understand why I was burning so much oil when the the CCV tubes failed. Burning a quart in just 75 miles is just to damn much for sloppy valve guide seals BUT it sounds about right if the crankcase is being pressurized from the turbos thanks to bad check valves in the CCVs and the turbos oil starts seeping right into the intake, path of least resistance and all.

Since I added the catch-cans and using PCV valves as the check valve for the intake tubes, I have returned to burning a quart every 1500-1700 miles which is pretty damn good for this engine and how I drive (I average 200-300 miles a day, and it hits 110 mph+ nearly every day....gets boring coming home at 3am......"but officer, I was only driving 110 to stay awake..."
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 12:41 PM   #8
TKR
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 40e & 2018 330e

If under warranty, why don't you let the the dealer replace the faulty CCV lines and valves?

Then you could try without catch cans... maybe not needed at all???
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #9
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKR View Post
If under warranty, why don't you let the the dealer replace the faulty CCV lines and valves?

Then you could try without catch cans... maybe not needed at all???
Its actually well out of warranty, its just a few items like the FMR Module (controls lighting, power windows, door locks, etc) are covered on BMW's extended 125,000 8 Year warranty. I have 117,000 on the clock and average 3-4,000 miles a month so I am just a few months away from even that expiring.

I am lucky the FMR module failed now and not in a few months as now I can have an exta since this appear to fail all the time and thus the extended warranty (Dont EVER let your battery run down in your X5!)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2018, 01:25 AM   #10
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here are the pics of my install. One day I will actually get around to making mounts for them but for now I just stuffed them in the corners. Our engine compartments are so tight, its not going anywhere =).

So the easiest way to do this is to just cut off the corrugated hose section of the stock CCV and just attached the hoes to each end and then to the catch can and you are done.

My CCV's had blown the one way valve that is inside the coupler connection that runs to the intake manifold. So I cut it out and hooked a third hose to it and then to the catch cans. If you do this, you must put a one-way check valve (I just grabbed a couple general PCV valves from Autozone) in the intake manifold vacuum line (you can see them in the pics). If you do not, there is the possibility that it can pressurize your crankcase which would be very bad.

Name:  DSCN1061.JPG
Views: 6703
Size:  260.4 KB

Name:  DSCN1062.JPG
Views: 7257
Size:  304.7 KB

Name:  DSCN1066.JPG
Views: 7921
Size:  373.8 KB

Name:  DSCN1070.JPG
Views: 8105
Size:  352.8 KB
Appreciate 3
      07-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #11
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Sorry didn't mean to disappear there, Been nuts at work lately. I will post some pics up later today, Really easy to do and been working excellent so far, have 3,000 miles on it since I have did it in hot-as-balls Arizona weather from everything from stop and go traffic when its 116 out to, doing 130mph on the 303 at 3am.

Here is a link to the catch cans, excellent quality, price can't be beat, even has a built in dip-stick

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will include the pics of the mods I did to the CCV tubes to make this work. All you need is a couple of PCV valves, 5/8" heater hose (get silicone if you feel like being fancy), the catch cans, and some hose clamps.

BTW, I am taking my X5 to the dealer tomorrow to have its FRM replaced and can't wait for the WTF look on the techs when they see my catch cans under the hood (only cause its under warranty otherwise I would do myself but talk about a shit design, jump start your car and lose your power windows, door locks, lighting...yay good job BMW!) At least they extend the Warranty to 125K and 8 years. Going to ask for the old one back so I can reflash its eeprom and code it, need a back up for sure as in a few months I will be out of warranty with the way I drive..

Pics to come later today...
LOL I recently got my FRM replaced under warranty and texted the tech to try not to LOL when they see my catch can setup. This is the 4th type of catch can I'm testing it out. It's a cyclone style filter from an e39 M5. I'll report back in a few weeks on how its working.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #12
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Bumping for more catch can research. Anyone have any updates?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 09:49 PM   #13
warpeacelove
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Here are the pics of my install. One day I will actually get around to making mounts for them but for now I just stuffed them in the corners. Our engine compartments are so tight, its not going anywhere =).

So the easiest way to do this is to just cut off the corrugated hose section of the stock CCV and just attached the hoes to each end and then to the catch can and you are done.

My CCV's had blown the one way valve that is inside the coupler connection that runs to the intake manifold. So I cut it out and hooked a third hose to it and then to the catch cans. If you do this, you must put a one-way check valve (I just grabbed a couple general PCV valves from Autozone) in the intake manifold vacuum line (you can see them in the pics). If you do not, there is the possibility that it can pressurize your crankcase which would be very bad.

Attachment 1871111

Attachment 1871112

Attachment 1871113

Attachment 1871114
I see on the CC's the in/out valves are occupied but you have an additional line connected on the top why is that?

And also what components am I connected the hoses to and from? I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 12:14 PM   #14
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpeacelove View Post
I see on the CC's the in/out valves are occupied but you have an additional line connected on the top why is that?

And also what components am I connected the hoses to and from? I just want to make sure I'm doing it right. Thx.
One line connected to the intake manifold tube that runs to the intake manifold bolted to the side of each engine, the other is to the valve cover, and the third is to the pre-turbo intake manifold. Our CCV system is two stage.

This has actually evolved quite a bit since I started this thread. I have replaced the cheap PCV valves which could leak boost pressure under certain conditions with a true adjustable 1-way vacuum valve that will allow you dial in your Crankcase Vacuum to -8 to -10 psi and replaced all the crap looking hose clamps and cheap heater hose (which looked more at home on an old beater Chevy truck then a SUV that cost almost 90K) with a proper stainless steel reinforced braided hose & -AN setup. Also went to different catch-can with a true 50micron Bronze filter baffled design which works AMAZING at capturing all the crap the stock BMW oil/air separators miss and they are less then 20 dollars each!!! (dont let price fool you, quality is excellent) Pics are below, setup works excellent and I highly recommend. I will do a write up with all part numbers as soon as I can, work has just been killing me so zero time to write it up proper but if any questions please ask. Everything can be bought off Amazon. Cost is about 100 if you use hose clamps and cheap hose, about 250 to do it right. I have 143K now on mine, no smoke at idle from stops with this system (if stuck at a dead stop in traffic for 10+ minutes might get a puff on take-off but thats it). Used to smoke so bad at idle and take-off you could not drive it until I put this system on. Burns a quart about every 1200-1500 miles with way I drive (100+mph all the time on open roads in AZ which means if you drive it normally, it will work even better for you as there is not much intake vacuum at 100mph in the X5), nice performance boost you will feel on int ital acceleration and part throttle too when the system is still able to apply the full vaccum. Plan to work on electic smog pump rpm activated to keep negative CC pressure even under boost like the turbo buick guys used to do one day when I have time....
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 04-08-2019 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #15
warpeacelove
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
One line connected to the intake manifold tube that runs to the intake manifold bolted to the side of each engine, the other is to the valve cover, and the third is to the pre-turbo intake manifold. Our CCV system is two stage.

This has actually evolved quite a bit since I started this thread. I have replaced the cheap PCV valves which could leak boost pressure under certain conditions with a true adjustable 1-way vacuum valve that will allow you dial in your Crankcase Vacuum to -8 to -10 psi and replaced all the crap looking hose clamps and cheap heater hose (which looked more at home on an old beater Chevy truck then a SUV that cost almost 90K) with a proper stainless steel reinforced braided hose & -AN setup. Pics are below, setup works excellent and I highly recommend. I will do a write up with all part numbers as soon as I can, work has just been killing me so zero time to write it up proper but if any questions please ask. Everything can be bought of Amazon. Cost is about 100 if use use hose clamps and cheap hose, about 250 to do it right. I have 143K now on mine, no smoke at idle from stops with this system (if stuck at a dead stop in traffic for 10+ minutes might get a puff on take-off but thats it). Burns a quart about every 1200-1500 miles, nice performance boost you will feel on int ital acceleration and part throttle too when the system is still able to apply the full vaccum. Plan to work on electic smog pump rpm activated to keep negative CC pressure even under boost like the turbo buick guy used to to in the past one day....
Thank you so much. I'll be waiting on the part list
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #16
9vapors
Major
Rep

What is the pressure that the check valve opens at?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #17
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpeacelove View Post
Thank you so much. I'll be waiting on the part list
I will round up links to all the parts and post them here in the next day.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #18
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
What is the pressure that the check valve opens at?
I set mine so it actually opens at less then 1psi negative back pressure by cutting the spring and making it a bit shorter and thenadjusted the spring tension (you do this by how far you turn the valve to seat the spring in it) to limit the back pressure to -8 to -10psi. Anymore then -10 psi and the front engine crank seal will start sucking air and sound like a slipping belt, plus -8 to -10 is a safe bet anyway. When you start closing in on -14psi and more, strange things can happen since there will be virtually no air resistance inside the engine , like oil getting wound up in the crank if there are not crank scrappers and actually lose HP so keeping it under 10 is a safe bet.

As for blocking boost, I have tested it to 120PSI on an air compressor with zero blowby so it will handle whatever we throw at it.
Appreciate 1
_Olek_0.00
      04-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #19
9vapors
Major
Rep

Getting some stuff together. Got my parts from the other forum member that was building one... any idea what the large silver one is for? He said turbo inlets...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 06:22 PM   #20
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

hmmm have no idea what the huge one is for. This kit was made for the S63?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 06:49 PM   #21
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
hmmm have no idea what the huge one is for. This kit was made for the S63?
S63tu... he has an M5. I think it would be glued onto the plastic pre turbo intake. I don't have my X5M at the moment, it's in the shop so I can't see if I see anywhere it might fit.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #22
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
S63tu... he has an M5. I think it would be glued onto the plastic pre turbo intake. I don't have my X5M at the moment, it's in the shop so I can't see if I see anywhere it might fit.
Hmmm, guess its for the secondary stage of the CCV system, did they do away with the flapper valve in it? Also the port hole is HUGE, the reduction in air velocity over such a gap would decrease the scavenging effect one would think.
Appreciate 0