XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-10-2018, 08:37 PM   #1
Smonkbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5 m57

Garage List
2013 BMW x5 35d  [0.00]
New Subwoofer install

Haven't shared much with my progress on my car as of yet, so here's my first.
Moved my line level adapter, Alpine MRVM500 over from my e92m3 and just bought the JL 12". I had a different JL set up in a pre fab sitting in the cargo area but wanted something that I could hide under the floor so I didn't have to pull the cargo cover closed all the time.
Warning: this set up is LOUD. I still need to dial the gain back. It's ridiculous!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Nice.

I have the optional spare in my X5, so I have debated just adding in the amp and box that I took out of my WRX, just wasn't sure how hard it was to tie it into the stock system. Do you still have the underseat subs working, or does your system have them?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #3
Smonkbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW x5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
Nice.

I have the optional spare in my X5, so I have debated just adding in the amp and box that I took out of my WRX, just wasn't sure how hard it was to tie it into the stock system. Do you still have the underseat subs working, or does your system have them?
Yeah everything works as stock I actually tapped into the under seat subs for the signal to my line level converter. If you have a small amp to fit in the cubby below the amp I. The left side wall everything is right there to tap into and the battery isn't far away either. Probably by far the easiest install ever.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
nick82006
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 Xdrive35i

Smonkbmw, How did you go about finding which wires to splice the Line Level adapter into? Why did you pick the under seat subs to tap into?

Im looking at a VERY similar setup but dont want to drop the extra 250 on install if its really just a couple key points to figure out.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick82006 View Post
Smonkbmw, How did you go about finding which wires to splice the Line Level adapter into? Why did you pick the under seat subs to tap into?

Im looking at a VERY similar setup but dont want to drop the extra 250 on install if its really just a couple key points to figure out.
I'm not an audio expert but depending on your amp setup taping into the sub line might be better if you're trying to add a second sub. Most of the time the signal going to the sub is filtered already to only allow a low frequency. Thus further processing/filtering of the signal is not necessary for your additional sub. If you tap into a full/unprocessed signal, you'll need an amp that can filter the signal to only send a frequency that only your sub can handle.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...I'm still an audio newbie.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

^ Im an audio newb as well but I beleive that is the correct reasoning
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 07:45 AM   #7
Lunker325
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M / 991.2 C4S

Nice looking set up. Any issues with the sub rattling the floor panel? I’ve got the same amp running a small 10” Pioneer box that had in my E90, it’s sitting on top of the floor panel. I want to upgrade to the JL Audio Steathbox which also installs under the floor like yours, but I’ve read some folks have issues with it rattling the floor panel, certainly don’t want that.
      08-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #8
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think my X5M has subs under the driver and passenger seat. Has anybody swapped those out for a more powerful sub speaker with it's own amp?
The stock subs seem to be 8 inch.

This one is plug-n-play. But I would want something more powerful with its own amp.
https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-subwoofer-t3bmwsub
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #9
El Wray
Private
Rep
Drives: AW X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
I think my X5M has subs under the driver and passenger seat. Has anybody swapped those out for a more powerful sub speaker with it's own amp?
The stock subs seem to be 8 inch.

This one is plug-n-play. But I would want something more powerful with its own amp.
https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-subwoofer-t3bmwsub
I swapped in these:
http://earthquakesound.com/index.php...fers/item/sws8

Couple of things to note:
  • You will need a thin ring spacer to provide prevent the sub from bottoming out
  • I used this to retain factory amp and have every thing be plug & play: https://technicpnp.com/product/sws-8...er-connectors/
  • You'll need to remove all seat bolts to tilt the seat back for access
  • You might need to tinker a bit if you want to keep the stock grill and give enough air between sub, grill and the seat

Overall I was happy with the swap. I chose to go with the "8xi" instead of the "8x" to try and avoid needing an aftermarket amp. The 8xi is 2 Ohm while the 8x is 4 Ohm. The drawback is that if you listen to music loud for a prolonged period the sub will eventually start to distort, I'm assuming to amp issues. At average volume it's fine for any duration. It isn't going to rattle any windows but it's a pretty good upgrade over stock.

I have a good sub and amp I'd like to throw in.. But I have yet to find a nice factory looking enclosure that'll fit in my storage compartment or mounted to the side. Not really that motivated on custom fiberglass. The aftermarket stuff seems to be E70 specific, and then again, only those that retained the factory spare tire.. Not vehicles with a storage organizer.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #10
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Wray View Post
I swapped in these:
http://earthquakesound.com/index.php...fers/item/sws8

Couple of things to note:
  • You will need a thin ring spacer to provide prevent the sub from bottoming out
  • I used this to retain factory amp and have every thing be plug & play: https://technicpnp.com/product/sws-8...er-connectors/
  • You'll need to remove all seat bolts to tilt the seat back for access
  • You might need to tinker a bit if you want to keep the stock grill and give enough air between sub, grill and the seat

Overall I was happy with the swap. I chose to go with the "8xi" instead of the "8x" to try and avoid needing an aftermarket amp. The 8xi is 2 Ohm while the 8x is 4 Ohm. The drawback is that if you listen to music loud for a prolonged period the sub will eventually start to distort, I'm assuming to amp issues. At average volume it's fine for any duration. It isn't going to rattle any windows but it's a pretty good upgrade over stock.

I have a good sub and amp I'd like to throw in.. But I have yet to find a nice factory looking enclosure that'll fit in my storage compartment or mounted to the side. Not really that motivated on custom fiberglass. The aftermarket stuff seems to be E70 specific, and then again, only those that retained the factory spare tire.. Not vehicles with a storage organizer.
Nice!! I don't need crazy bass so upgrading the stock subs should keep me content. Did you end up using the speaker grill that came with the sub or the stock ones? Any pics?

OP: sorry for changing the subject of the thread a bit.

Last edited by philly42; 08-06-2018 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #11
Smonkbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW x5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunker325 View Post
Nice looking set up. Any issues with the sub rattling the floor panel? I've got the same amp running a small 10" Pioneer box that had in my E90, it's sitting on top of the floor panel. I want to upgrade to the JL Audio Steathbox which also installs under the floor like yours, but I've read some folks have issues with it rattling the floor panel, certainly don't want that.
I've had no issues with rattles what so ever. However I just remembered I haven't turned it up and checked for the dreaded license plate rattle yet.
Appreciate 2
      08-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #12
El Wray
Private
Rep
Drives: AW X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
Nice!! I don't need crazy bass so upgrading the stock subs should keep me content. Did you end up using the speaker grill that came with the sub or the stock ones? Any pics?

OP: sorry for changing the subject of the thread a bit.
Yep, sorry for the derail!

philly, I don't remember if I used the factory grills or the ones that came with the speakers. I'd need to take a look. I do know with the seat in the normal position you can't even see the speakers. There are air vents that protrude from the floor pointed toward the rear seats so you'd basically need to move to move the seats all the way back. The only thing I was worried about was dirt or small rocks getting on to the cone/surround.
Appreciate 0