XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

04-04-2018, 11:58 PM   #23
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

While I returned my ESS to go with HCP, ESS was very helpful. Dinan has always been on the conservative side power wise while also being usually the most expensive.

There are "S63" downpipes on eBay ranging from $300-$1300, but then they say they're for the M5 & M6, which is technically the S63TU. Comparing part numbers on realoem shows they're in fact different part numbers between an X*M and M5, but seeing we share the same engine architecture, it's hard to say if they're actually cross compatible...I just can't ever see paying anything near these higher asking prices for what's basically 6' of exhaust piping, which is why I went gutted. I don't know what brand these are, but I've wrapped them and will be fitting them soon...fingers crossed I wasn't misled.

Ask the tuner if they charge between each upgrade. If they do, then get the downpipes and tune done at the same time. If you don't mind the CEL, which won't affect performance, you could do the downpipes first (I'm sure you'll still feel the difference in quicker spooling) and you'll definitely notice an increase in sound...especially at cold idle. Once you're tired of the CEL, flash your stage 2 which you'll notice a huge gain. I don't think you can do a stage 2 without downpipes and I'm not sure if they can turn off the CEL on stage 1, but then again if you're doing downpipes, then you're gonna want stage 2 anyways.

I hope I'm making sense :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #24
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Burger isn't selling JB4's for us still, but it's still my understanding the N63 version can be flashed with S63 firmware.

Burger is trying to be emissions compliant so they've disabled the auto clear of the CEL. With that said, there are earlier versions of the firmware that still have auto clear. I have a stage 2 tune so I have no idea how the auto clear works in regards to being catless without a flash.
I don't think auto clear is the right way to describe it. I do not know specifically how it works on our BMW's and it may function exactly the same way as I know it. I can talk about something you know about, Ford EEC architecture. To oversimplify the process, the downstream o2's (rear) sense if your catalyst is functioning based on the amount of oxygen passing through the sensor vs your upstream o2's (front). Most Ford tunes will set the computer to see its ideal number all the time for the downstream sensors, telling the ECM, yes the catalyst is doing its job. In the mid 2000s when everyone was afraid of online shopping you could find downstream MIL eliminator o2 sensors pre wired to keep your check engine light off if you had a catalyst issue. They sold for almost all models. Now, I think they have all gotten scared by laws and that pesky EPA.

Now I don't know if burger has in the past done other things in there tunes to keep a check engine light off, and this may be what you are referring to.
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #25
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep

can someone take a picture of this flap on a 50? I took my entire muffler off of my truck and it did not have any flap at all anywhere? I also took a look at the exhaust front to back, and my truck does not have any valves with vacuum lines anywhere as far as I can tell.

I know the M trucks have a flap, built in the muffler right? I just cant find the 50i's flap.

I guess Ill get on the google machine and look to.
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #26
Xfanatic
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6 5.0i

The Dinan tune and ESS tune are about the same price.
Dinan $926 (specs 494hp / 579tq)
ESS $995!(specs 503hp / 531tq)
I’ll make the final decision once I get to my shop.
I’ll price the gutted downpipes at the shop or a downpipes they recommend and decide. Truthfully I want the most worry free and issue free option long term.
Add these to the open flaps and filters I should be good. Thanks a lot guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 12:16 AM   #27
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBimX5din View Post
I don't think auto clear is the right way to describe it. I do not know specifically how it works on our BMW's and it may function exactly the same way as I know it. I can talk about something you know about, Ford EEC architecture. To oversimplify the process, the downstream o2's (rear) sense if your catalyst is functioning based on the amount of oxygen passing through the sensor vs your upstream o2's (front). Most Ford tunes will set the computer to see its ideal number all the time for the downstream sensors, telling the ECM, yes the catalyst is doing its job. In the mid 2000s when everyone was afraid of online shopping you could find downstream MIL eliminator o2 sensors pre wired to keep your check engine light off if you had a catalyst issue. They sold for almost all models. Now, I think they have all gotten scared by laws and that pesky EPA.

Now I don't know if burger has in the past done other things in there tunes to keep a check engine light off, and this may be what you are referring to.
Auto clear is howthat BMS described it. I'm running an older firmware on my JB4 to keep this option enabled via the steering wheel controls.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #28
titanle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 Activehybrid

Quote:
While I returned my ESS to go with HCP, ESS was very helpful. Dinan has always been on the conservative side power wise while also being usually the most expensive.

There are "S63" downpipes on eBay ranging from $300-$1300, but then they say they're for the M5 & M6, which is technically the S63TU. Comparing part numbers on realoem shows they're in fact different part numbers between an X*M and M5, but seeing we share the same engine architecture, it's hard to say if they're actually cross compatible...I just can't ever see paying anything near these higher asking prices for what's basically 6' of exhaust piping, which is why I went gutted. I don't know what brand these are, but I've wrapped them and will be fitting them soon...fingers crossed I wasn't misled.

Ask the tuner if they charge between each upgrade. If they do, then get the downpipes and tune done at the same time. If you don't mind the CEL, which won't affect performance, you could do the downpipes first (I'm sure you'll still feel the difference in quicker spooling) and you'll definitely notice an increase in sound...especially at cold idle. Once you're tired of the CEL, flash your stage 2 which you'll notice a huge gain. I don't think you can do a stage 2 without downpipes and I'm not sure if they can turn off the CEL on stage 1, but then again if you're doing downpipes, then you're gonna want stage 2 anyways.

I hope I'm making sense :-)
is HCP HC Performance? I tried looking online but that site doesn't have the x5/x6. I'd like to do a quick comparison of that tune compared to my ESS tune and see if I can gain anything additional. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #29
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Auto clear is howthat BMS described it. I'm running an older firmware on my JB4 to keep this option enabled via the steering wheel controls.
ok gotcha, I know the BMW architecture is going to be quite different then a Ford one.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #30
Bmf007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw x6 35i

X6 35i

Anyone core there x6 35i muffler other then golf tee mod?
Appreciate 0