XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #1
preppyr6
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Problems with rough idle, cylinder misfire after walnut blasting

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the N55 (picked up my 13 E71 a couple months ago with 90k miles), but not new to BMWs. I do most of my own work as I'm pretty comfortable around BMW engines.

That said, I'm nearly at a loss with my current problem.

Patient: 2013 E71 X6 N55. Only mods are Burger Air filter and M-sport exhaust.

Symptoms: After walnut blasting to get back some of the pep in the motor, I've had a subtle but notable rough idle. Its less noticeable cold, and very noticeable warm. I get no codes thrown and above 600rpm the engine feels just fine. This was my first diy walnut blast and I was careful to make sure the valves were closed for each set I cleaned. Intake manifold gaskets were replaced before reassembly, MAF was cleaned, and throttle body was cleaned.

After reassembly, I noticed the rough idle. I rechecked my work and found no issues. At this time, I had no fault codes.

Since then I've tried to track down every possible culprit. Not in order, Ive done the following:

Replaced PCV/Valve cover
Replaced coils
Replaced spark plugs
Pulled and cleaned fuel injectors (replaced teflon seals and decoupling rings)
Ran techron (I know it serves little purpose in a direct injection motor)
Ran smoke test for vacuum leaks (found one, but it made no difference to rough idle)
Reset idle adaptation in INPA (I think...since its in German)

Ive triple checked all the vacuum connections.

Running INPA rough running test, I can see that cylinder 6 is running poorly, often way out to the edge of range (in the red). I pulled the plug and its fairly black (but not completely fouled).

My next guess is a possibly leaking fuel injector BUT I dont understand how this could be a result of the walnut blasting.
IF thats not the case, then my culprit would have to be either a manifold crack (which I would expect would show up in the smoke test) or a problem with the wiring to the injector or coil (fuel issue or weak spark)...but I would expect those would give me an error code if that were the case.

Its getting cold here in DC and I dont have a garage, I ordered a replacement injector to test that theory given what I can see in INPA, but beyond that I'll need to take this into a shop as I dont have experience running compression checks on motors this sophisticated.

FWIW I ran a borescope down the plug holes and could see some carbon buildup on the pistons.

Any other ideas about what could be happening? Is it possible I damaged an intake valve during blasting or an exhaust valve was burned from poor combustion afterwards? It seems so unlikely, but this has me fairly stumped.

Ill post up vid from INPA rough running when I have a chance as well as borescope pics from Cyl 6.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #2
preppyr6
Rep

IMG_1343 by john henry

http://youtu.be/ue88jorPrio

Last edited by preppyr6; 11-13-2019 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
preppyr6
Rep

Cant seem to embed the video above properly. Here are screenshots of INPA rough run test

IMG_1342 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/185560534@N08/]
IMG_1341 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/185560534@N08/]
IMG_1340 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/185560534@N08/]
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
preppyr6
Rep

Well, adding an update for posterity. Ended up taking it over to Dan Martin in Gaithersburg. He confirmed there were some misfire codes with cylinder 6 (though no engine light or codes on my reader). He dropped some MMO in the cylinder and let it sit over the weekend and then blasted out the cylinder with compressed air to loosen up any carbon that may have stuck around the valves...it seems to have remedied the problem. I havent picked it up yet, but Dan tells me the idle has returned to smooth running.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
What is MMO? Some solvent to clean the top of the piston? If so how do you know it didn't leak down and contaminate the engine oil? Or change that too?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 09:02 PM   #6
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Marvel mystery oil. It does a pretty decent job on carbon if you let it soak for a bit. It's safe to mix with oil (no more then 20 percent If memory serves)
Appreciate 0