XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

11-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
vek07
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5, 2016 BMW X5

E70 Replacement Muffler Questions

First time posting, thanks for the help in advance. Looking for some advice. I'm in the process of safety certifying my 2012 BMW X5 35i and it turns out I need to replace the muffler (rusted through inside and out). Brand new most quotes are in the $2,000 area so I've been trying to find lower cost alternatives. I'm trying to sell the car so I really just need an alternative that allows me to get the safety at a reasonable price.

I'm committed to finding a pre-owned part (lots on eBay) and having a mechanic I know do the install.

Two questions I have been thinking about:

1. If I buy a muffler that was previously on a 50i version of the X5, will there be any issues doing the install? I know I will need to fabricate a Y-pipe to connect it. Outside of that, any issues?

2. If I buy a muffler that was previously on a 35d, will this be compatible on the 35i version? Not sure if the 35d muffler is a different part. From what I have read online, the specific diesel emissions hardware is upstream of the muffler so I'm wondering if this would be a fit.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0