XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-11-2019, 03:55 AM   #23
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Drake View Post
Did this in my F85. What a pain in the a$$. But I guess, I'm ok with the result. If I had to do this over again, I'd pass.
Believe it or not, it's actually easier to retrofit on the F85 than the E70. Ask me how I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Drake View Post
Did this in my F85. What a pain in the a$$. But I guess, I'm ok with the result. If I had to do this over again, I'd pass.

Mine was at the dealer for something so I asked if they could throw it in while it was there. They didn't even charge me... sounds like I lucked out!
Wow really? I need to find me a SA or dealership like yours.
Appreciate 2
9vapors645.50
radial9.00
      04-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #24
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Believe it or not, it's actually easier to retrofit on the F85 than the E70. Ask me how I know.
How did you know? lol
I spent over 3 hrs doing this. Perhaps if your phone integrates with the car, it would be much more worth it.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2019, 04:28 PM   #25
RayX5M
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
I did something very similar to gsnake I stumbled upon similar wireless charger I bought few years ago to my backup Note 2 phone at the time. Since I just switched to Galaxy S9 I was looking for something I can do wireless and this seems to feet the bill pretty well, I also bought fast charger adapter if my phone is really low but if it's "almost" charged the wireless option will keep it up

Also I like the material this charger made of, the phone just stays there and doesn't tend to move, I also don't plan to build extra support for the charger as its stays in place fairly well too!
Nice looking! Are you able to close the retractable cover over this thing when it's in place? I was thinking of removing the ashtray and trying to fit one of those DIY 3 coil things in rather than using something like this, but this would be way easier/cheaper...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 09:10 PM   #26
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayX5M View Post
Nice looking! Are you able to close the retractable cover over this thing when it's in place? I was thinking of removing the ashtray and trying to fit one of those DIY 3 coil things in rather than using something like this, but this would be way easier/cheaper...
no, the cover stays open, the charger little too big as well it needs to be plugged in to 12v which also takes some space.

from what I've seen there are more options now and you might be able to find something that will work or fit little better, as I mentioned in my previous post I used something that I had for awhile and it wasn't originally intended for the car!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #27
RayX5M
Rep

Well, here's what I did over the weekend. Took out the ashtray in front of the cup holders and fit a 3 coil wireless charger in place of it. Took about an hour to install the charger (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $20 on Amazon for a 3 coil wireless fast charger, just took it apart and used the PCB with the coils) and the hardwire 12V to 5V step down (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $10 on Amazon) as I had to remove the center trim around the shifter and iDrive controller. And of course I ended spilling a few coins from my center console into the guts of the car somewhere and now I hear them rolling around . I hardwired the power to the center console cigarette lighter power source that wasn't being used anyway because I replaced it with a dual USB port that goes to my ///AVIN unit. I popped the spade disconnects out of the plastic housing and attached the male disconnects to the hardwire power supply so it's completely reversible. And to answer your question: what size male disconnects plug into the BMW cigarette lighter females? The answer is the little yellow ones I found at the bottom of the tool chest in my garage...

Took about another hour to carve out the little plastic cover from an old broken MacBook plastic hard case. I will probably re-do the cover in black plastic as you can see the coils through it, looks kinda second rate. I stuck it down with little strips of velcro, so it's easy to revise. Works perfectly and I can still close the retractable cover over it!! See pics...(still haven't figured out how to post them in line with the text )

-rayo
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #28
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Hey RayX5M,

That's a COOL idea... my iPhone X is just a bit too big for that space or I'd be all over this idea.

Thanks for great write up,
John
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:18 PM   #29
RayX5M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
Hey RayX5M,

That's a COOL idea... my iPhone X is just a bit too big for that space or I'd be all over this idea.

Thanks for great write up,
John
I have an iPhone X with a case on it. Fits perfectly and charges fine!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #30
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71 40d (2012)

Nice work DeeO
I just found those on eBay uk from Poland for £59 as an ex demo one... about half the price of new so I went for it.
I too was going to remove the useless cradle I until I stumbled onto this thread.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 02:03 PM   #31
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radial View Post
Nice work DeeO
I just found those on eBay uk from Poland for £59 as an ex demo one... about half the price of new so I went for it.
I too was going to remove the useless cradle I until I stumbled onto this thread.
Thanks. It does update the usefulness of an otherwise outdated cradle. And for 1/2 off, what's not to like?
Appreciate 1
radial9.00
      05-09-2020, 03:40 PM   #32
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Nice work DeeO
Excellent price!
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #33
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftwerk AG View Post
Thanks. It does update the usefulness of an otherwise outdated cradle. And for 1/2 off, what's not to like?
Any tips on getting the old cradle out? Mine isn't like the manual you uploaded unfortunately.

Unbolted the cradle at the back but that's as far as I can get. Cant get the single piece moulded cubby box out even after removing 4 screws and the cradle. Cant get the cradle apart after taking out the two screws at the front under the rubbers.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #34
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Any tips on getting the old cradle out? Mine isn't like the manual you uploaded unfortunately.

Unbolted the cradle at the back but that's as far as I can get. Cant get the single piece moulded cubby box out even after removing 4 screws and the cradle. Cant get the cradle apart after taking out the two screws at the front under the rubbers.
This didn't help you? https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ephone/Oo6jtac
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #35
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I actually forgot to look there. Done most of that, can't get the two sections of the flappy holder part separated. Will try tomorrow again.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 09:53 AM   #36
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

OK got it in. Bit of a pain to get those panels off without breaking any clips!
All working which is nice.
However, not sure how you routed the cables on the side Kraftwerk AG ? As you say they are shorter, so as you can see from the attached photos, I can't get them to the hole where they sit, so currently can't get the carpet panel back on.

Also, not sure what this extra wire is for, see attached image. I've tucked it in underneath but there is no where for that 2 pin connector to go. Is that for an option I don't have or just for something on the F series?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 10:05 AM   #37
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
OK got it in. Bit of a pain to get those panels off without breaking any clips!
All working which is nice.
However, not sure how you routed the cables on the side Kraftwerk AG ? As you say they are shorter, so as you can see from the attached photos, I can't get them to the hole where they sit, so currently can't get the carpet panel back on.

Also, not sure what this extra wire is for, see attached image. I've tucked it in underneath but there is no where for that 2 pin connector to go. Is that for an option I don't have or just for something on the F series?
Good job! Don't worry, that extra plug is not needed. It's not even used or necessary on the F85/F86.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 06:37 PM   #38
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good job! Don't worry, that extra plug is not needed. It's not even used or necessary on the F85/F86.
Any tips on how you routed the cables in the side of the centre console so you can get the carpet back on? The lack of length is a bit of a problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 02:44 PM   #39
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Any tips on how you routed the cables in the side of the centre console so you can get the carpet back on? The lack of length is a bit of a problem.
Unhook the cable, to give you the slack necessary to reconnect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 01:56 PM   #40
FredericE
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 35d

Quote:
For those of you E70-E71 owners that still have your original phone cradle and own a phone with wireless charging capability, this retrofit is for you! I got this idea from the F85-F86 guys, since their 2015-2017's don't have this wireless charger as standard equipment (although 2018's do). So I recently upgraded to the Apple iPhone X, and wanted to take advantage of this feature. Previously, I had removed my cradle for added console storage, but reinstalled it after purchasing this item. AFAIK, nobody has tried to do this for us E70-E71 owners, so I decided to give it a go.

The BMW OEM part # is: 84 10 2 449 887 called a 'Wireless Charging Shelf' http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enus/part...4+10+2+449+887. I purchased this kit from a BMW dealer on eBay in AU for less than $190 USD including shipping (YMMV). Instructions on cradle removal are located here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ephone/Oo6jtac

The kit is plug-n-play, it works right out of the box with NO coding or alterations necessary. All phone functions work just as before, just keep in mind the retrofit harness is slightly shorter (6-8 inches) and missing the 'blue' plug (antenna), however this has no effect on functionality or connectivity whatsoever. Be sure to tuck in all harnesses and plugs back in properly before reinstalling all panels, screws and clips. Easy peasy. It even charges without the key and while vehicle is asleep. All in all, I'm a happy camper.

I would like to do wireless charging upgrade but I just saw the newtis link is offline. Do you remember what part of information was over there?

Thanks in advance
Frederic
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 03:05 AM   #41
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredericE View Post
I would like to do wireless charging upgrade but I just saw the newtis link is offline. Do you remember what part of information was over there?

Thanks in advance
Frederic
That is a bit of a pain now that site was shut down.

The link showed the pages on how to remove all the panels.

From memory the carpeted side panels come out in sequence by sliding them forward towards the pedals. There are some screws (I think at the front) that need removing and then you can slide out the first panel. That then allows you to slide out the second one next to the area you need to work on.

The cradle inside also has some clips and tabs you have to be careful not to break but I can’t remember where. Hopefully someone else does.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:34 AM   #42
FredericE
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 35d

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredericE View Post

Thanks in advance
Frederic
That is a bit of a pain now that site was shut down.

The link showed the pages on how to remove all the panels.

From memory the carpeted side panels come out in sequence by sliding them forward towards the pedals. There are some screws (I think at the front) that need removing and then you can slide out the first panel. That then allows you to slide out the second one next to the area you need to work on.

The cradle inside also has some clips and tabs you have to be careful not to break but I can’t remember where. Hopefully someone else does.

Thanks for your answer. I will look it up on youtube and order a charger.
Although it's an pain in the ass (if I read it correctly) I think it's nice we have the original BMW part in the place it used to be.

Still a nice car, just a little update 😁
Appreciate 0