XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #463
ZFRED10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5

So i've "successfully" switched out my previous 4.4 unit to the new 8.1 unit. I have everything working as before except for one problem. I'm no longer able to control the Apple Carplay menu with the iDrive knob as I was able to with my old unit. I can only use the Carplay menu via the touchscreen which is very frustrating. I've contacted support with no answer as of yet. Anyone else run into this problem? If so, did you ever get it figured out? I'm concerned these new 8.1 units may not be compatible with the iDrive knob for Carplay as the old units were. If that's the case, I'll have to switch back to the old unit
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #464
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFRED10 View Post
So i've "successfully" switched out my previous 4.4 unit to the new 8.1 unit. I have everything working as before except for one problem. I'm no longer able to control the Apple Carplay menu with the iDrive knob as I was able to with my old unit. I can only use the Carplay menu via the touchscreen which is very frustrating. I've contacted support with no answer as of yet. Anyone else run into this problem? If so, did you ever get it figured out? I'm concerned these new 8.1 units may not be compatible with the iDrive knob for Carplay as the old units were. If that's the case, I'll have to switch back to the old unit
I’ve just installed today a new 8.1 unit in my e70 (uk, but should be the same).

Install went smooth but the hardest part was routing the cables to the arm rest. Got there in the end. Everything works ok, well, as well as expected with the quirks I’d read about. But the CarPlay issue is really annoying as this is mainly what I want it for.

I too don’t have any steering or idrive control in CarPlay. Volume works fine. Interesting, if I go into Bluetooth in the main android screen, then back into CarPlay, track selection from steering wheel starts working!

I guess it’s a software issue with the autolink app but I don’t know if it will be fixed. Might try a different dongle and see if it works.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #465
ZFRED10
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
I’ve just installed today a new 8.1 unit in my e70 (uk, but should be the same).

Install went smooth but the hardest part was routing the cables to the arm rest. Got there in the end. Everything works ok, well, as well as expected with the quirks I’d read about. But the CarPlay issue is really annoying as this is mainly what I want it for.

I too don’t have any steering or idrive control in CarPlay. Volume works fine. Interesting, if I go into Bluetooth in the main android screen, then back into CarPlay, track selection from steering wheel starts working!

I guess it’s a software issue with the autolink app but I don’t know if it will be fixed. Might try a different dongle and see if it works.
I always run the sound through OEM bluetooth so the steering controls work in the CarPlay interface. You're bypassing the Carplay functions because you are running it through your OEM bluetooth, hence the reason the steering wheel back/next work. Volume on the steering wheel will work no matter what function you are in since it's completely separate from everything. I have always done this and found the OEM bluetooth sound is better than the unit anyway!

Just a little trick for you if you haven't figured it out to easily launch the Carplay app and have it run through OEM bluetooth:

--Make sure AUX switching is changed to "Manual" in your factory settings on the android unit.

--Launch the Carplay app via the "NAV" button next to your iDrive Control knob

--Once it's launched, you will not have any sound. Click the voice control on your steering wheel once, wait about 1-2 seconds and click it again.

This should automatically switch the unit to your OEM bluetooth so you'll have sound via bluetooth without having to exit the CarPlay app to your BMW to switch.

Really need to find a fix for the iDrive controls though.

I bought another cord off amazon in hopes it will work so I will get back with the results. Not confident it will though.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #466
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
I always run the sound through OEM bluetooth so the steering controls work in the CarPlay interface. You're bypassing the Carplay functions because you are running it through your OEM bluetooth, hence the reason the steering wheel back/next work. Volume on the steering wheel will work no matter what function you are in since it's completely separate from everything. I have always done this and found the OEM bluetooth sound is better than the unit anyway!

Just a little trick for you if you haven't figured it out to easily launch the Carplay app and have it run through OEM bluetooth:

--Make sure AUX switching is changed to "Manual" in your factory settings on the android unit.

--Launch the Carplay app via the "NAV" button next to your iDrive Control knob

--Once it's launched, you will not have any sound. Click the voice control on your steering wheel once, wait about 1-2 seconds and click it again.

This should automatically switch the unit to your OEM bluetooth so you'll have sound via bluetooth without having to exit the CarPlay app to your BMW to switch.

Really need to find a fix for the iDrive controls though.

I bought another cord off amazon in hopes it will work so I will get back with the results. Not confident it will though.
I think I understand what you mean. I’ll give it a try. But it’s the idrive controller that I really want for navigating CarPlay when I don’t want to touch the screen
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:16 PM   #467
Dennis66
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 3.5

Hello,

Is there anyone from the Chicago area, Northwest Indiana or even Southwest Michigan that can do this Avin android install? I have a 2011 X6.

I've tried to get mine installed and it boots up but can't get it to work in general. I'd be glad to PAY whatever your rate is.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #468
b0y2k
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 - 2008 SD

Hi guys,
I have installed the AVIN unit and it's all working as it should BUT like other users my audio out is shocking... it's barely audible on FULL volume and it's hissy and completely unusable.

I have read a lot of posts here about the combination of rear entertainment and logic 7 being the worst possible one for compatibility... lucky me

E70 - Dec 2008 - CCC

I have looked at the connector going into the center console AUX and i have 4 wires.

My car also has the CD changer in the glove box so between these two i should have an option to piggy back one of those to the main harness wires?

If anyone has any help for me that would be great as it's the last piece in sorting out this puzzle haha.

Thanks .
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #469
ZFRED10
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0y2k View Post
Hi guys,
I have installed the AVIN unit and it's all working as it should BUT like other users my audio out is shocking... it's barely audible on FULL volume and it's hissy and completely unusable.

I have read a lot of posts here about the combination of rear entertainment and logic 7 being the worst possible one for compatibility... lucky me

E70 - Dec 2008 - CCC

I have looked at the connector going into the center console AUX and i have 4 wires.

My car also has the CD changer in the glove box so between these two i should have an option to piggy back one of those to the main harness wires?

If anyone has any help for me that would be great as it's the last piece in sorting out this puzzle haha.

Thanks .
I'm not sure exactly which side of the unit you are speaking about, but if you're having issues with the audio on the android side, I'd bet it's just you AUX cord. If you used the one that came with the system, even if it's plug in securely it still does not work, or barely does. I could not for the life of me figure out why I was getting no sound from the android unit. After switching the AUX to a more quality cord, it worked perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #470
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly which side of the unit you are speaking about, but if you're having issues with the audio on the android side, I'd bet it's just you AUX cord. If you used the one that came with the system, even if it's plug in securely it still does not work, or barely does. I could not for the life of me figure out why I was getting no sound from the android unit. After switching the AUX to a more quality cord, it worked perfectly.
aux cable quality makes a difference? I thought it was like HDMI cables, it's all the same stuff

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #471
ZFRED10
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
aux cable quality makes a difference? I thought it was like HDMI cables, it's all the same stuff
Made a difference in my instance.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 04:10 AM   #472
b0y2k
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 - 2008 SD

Quote:
Made a difference in my instance.
Thanks for the replys.

The problem is that the audio is very very low, so low that even when the volume from the main amp is at MAX it's barely listenable. Also, as you would imagine the hiss and interference at that volume is almost as loud as the music. The only way i can get sound from the android unit is by running the aux cable to the center console, no other way works.

I have read up on this problem and it seems related to the Logic 7 system my car has as there is a separate amp for it which i believe is located in the rear.

I have heard people bypassing the center console AUX by taking the connector out and wiring the audio into the cables from the harness but those were connectors with 3 wires... mine has 4.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #473
dbronnik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 E88

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie Von Otto View Post
I went that route for a few days as well. It gets annoying because there isn't a memory on this device and every time you get in the car you have to go through a start-up regime of selecting everything to start on the AVINUSA unit. And in my case, I had to turn on the hotspot on my iPhone as well. Waze also displays differently and is not as user friendly as the CarPlay version is. I got tired of messing with that method and went back to trying to figure out the CarPlay again. AND, I was still unable to utilize the steering controls with the exception of the volume.

Again, looking for some input if anyone has been able to Root the 8.1 yet and some help with that.
Did you ever get this sorted out? I want carplay in my x5m but not sure whether to go with unichip or avin. Sounds like Avin still doesn't have their shit together WRT carplay..
      05-27-2019, 07:41 PM   #474
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbronnik View Post
Did you ever get this sorted out? I want carplay in my x5m but not sure whether to go with unichip or avin. Sounds like Avin still doesn't have their shit together WRT carplay..
I can tell you that had the unichip option been available when I took up this endeavor and known what I know now, with the exception of the nice big screen, I would have opted to go unichip and bypassed all the bs involved with the avin setup.

I have not sorted it out. I have adapted and learned to live with it. I cannot run iTunes and Waze simultaneously. I run a German rock channel that I used to listen to in Europe and they have classic rock through death metal so i can get back and forth to work with decent enough music and Waze.

I spent some time emailing their support back and forth and then they just kind of stop responding once their simple entry level troubleshooting fails to get you right.

You need patience and understand that you’re going to give up some things and pickup some you really don’t want. I’ve got it down to where it is second nature, but it is by far plug and play.

My wife can’t use it. One time she was driving it, I called her, the music continues playing in the background and she can barely hear me. It didn’t mute the music during the call... when we hung up, all of a sudden the local radio channel started playing. She starts dicking around with it and cannot figure it out. Keep in mind the phone call quality is shit. I have to select my oem manually on the phone every time I make a call otherwise the other party cannot hear me and I have the microphone.

Never mind that the music sound quality is also not the greatest. All being said, I don’t mind it but it could absolutely be better.

I had contemplated getting the unichip and see if I can run it on the oem side but continue to use the avin screen and not have to go into the android side ever again. At least not until it is rooted and we can manipulate it.

If Anyone has done that successfully, let me know.

Last edited by Erie Von Otto; 05-27-2019 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
dbronnik223.00
      05-27-2019, 08:09 PM   #475
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

All you guys crying about Car Play...why not write Apple and get them to make a screen? You're trying to integrate two different OS' so stay stock, deal with it or Bluetooth your music if it's such an issue.
Appreciate 1
X5 MAN77.50
      05-27-2019, 08:49 PM   #476
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
All you guys crying about Car Play...why not write Apple and get them to make a screen? You're trying to integrate two different OS' so stay stock, deal with it or Bluetooth your music if it's such an issue.
      05-27-2019, 08:53 PM   #477
sunny_j
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

Build Thread
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1529213
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 07:46 AM   #478
drccw
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

I’ve had the 4.4 unit installed in my X5m for a while though I lazily never got around to running and hiding the aux wire and the CarPlay box. I’ve noticed over the past year that the CarPlay integration has steadily gotten better to the point that’s it’s almost rock stable. It’s mainly Waze that has struggled over the past year.

Now I’ve just gotten a Carlinke wireless CarPlay box and while it works; ive gotten some nosignal errors primarily when using Waze. I’ll need to do some testing on it because I’ve really only had it for two days but hopefully the software will keep improving. I’ve hidden the box in the center stack and also added in a Bluetooth audio transmitter to remove the aux cable. I would say the sound quality is on par with the aux cable.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 11:28 PM   #479
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28 MSport

unichip

Somebody, please explain this "Unichip" option.

I have been to their website and it is typical of a smalltime Chinese product. That said, if it doesn't involve the Avin type BS I read here (and everywhere) and allows for Carplay, I am interested.

I have a 2012 X5 with premium including back up camera.

Please advise and thank you.

Jim

http://www.unichip-tec.com
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #480
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep

unichip

Unichip?

Their website is almost non-sensical. Does anyone here have any experience with them? I am hoping against hope it (or anything) can give me CarPlay in my 2012 X5.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #481
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep

You guys are awesome. You made me do my own research. Or actually, I spent 20 frustrating minutes on the UniChip-tec website "chatting" with a rep "Amy". I think we got to a usable place.

Amy had me send a couple of pics of my screen with S/W info on it. She was really interested in the size of the screen as well. Amy chatted with me from a bus on her way to work. No, I am not kidding. She told me that. LOL.

This is the product she says will work to deliver CarPlay for my 2012 X5 with Nav/Premium:

http://m.unichip-tec.com/pd.jsp?pid=...d=CIC&_pp=0_35
$439.00 plus shipping

I have to admit that if this works, I am buying.

Does anyone have any experience actually USING this product?

Is there or should there be concern about iOS 13 CarPlay changes giving this product issues?

Lots of questions, I know.

TIA!

Jim
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 08:23 PM   #482
aloyouis
Private First Class
Rep

Looks like Amy got to the office. She did a great job actually. I certainly could not do it in reverse. She sent this email:

Hi,

please check the link http://www.unichip-tec.com/h-pd-26.h...y+box&_pp=0_35

And also installation manual in the attachment.

We have promotion this month,
Promotion price: USD389
Shipping: USD26

Sincerely Yours,

Amy Zhang

European SmartAuto Solutions Since 2003
“CarPlay AndroidAuto Smartbox & Connected Vehicle Solutions”

Company: UNICHIP SMARTAUTO SOLUTIONS
AUTOSVS TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD

Add: 15A, NO.1 World Plaza, Hongli West Rd., Futian District, Shenzhen, China

Mobile No./Whatsapp: +86 13477020130
QQ: 2880261660
Wechat: zxq4008111111

Emaill: service@unichip-tec.com
---------------------------------------------------------------

Wireless carplay for Merdedes, Audi, BMW, Porsche !

Attachments area
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #483
pjfox23
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35i, X5M

Search

Last edited by pjfox23; 06-18-2019 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: double
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:30 PM   #484
pjfox23
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35i, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloyouis View Post
Unichip?

Their website is almost non-sensical. Does anyone here have any experience with them? I am hoping against hope it (or anything) can give me CarPlay in my 2012 X5.
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1573601

https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1578217
Appreciate 0