XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-04-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
dmack92
Rep
Drives: 2013 xdrive50i

Turbo Coolant Lines - Not covered by warranty

Hi all,

My Valve Stems Seals were approved under the Service Bulleting for my 2013 X5 50i.

My SA suggested replacing the Turbo Coolant Lines as well but quoted me just under 2k to do the job.

Is there a DIY for this? I where would you reccomend getting replacement parts? I have never tackled anything outside of your basic oil change.

Do I hit up my local indy and bite the bullet or try and tackle myself?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

Ask Indy about the Valve stem seals and also ask him about getting the lines done at the same, would that save you any time or money or not?

My guess is, while the thing is apart, get what ever is easily accessible while you are in there stuff?

$2000 from what I understand, sounds bit on the higher side

Last edited by quick; 06-12-2019 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack92 View Post
Hi all,

My Valve Stems Seals were approved under the Service Bulleting for my 2013 X5 50i.

My SA suggested replacing the Turbo Coolant Lines as well but quoted me just under 2k to do the job.

Is there a DIY for this? I where would you reccomend getting replacement parts? I have never tackled anything outside of your basic oil change.

Do I hit up my local indy and bite the bullet or try and tackle myself?

Thanks in advance!
I'd check with your Indy shop on price for these coolant lines. Some of the Indy shops around Seattle are just as expensive as BMW Seattle from my experience (not sure what dealer is fixing your valve stem seals, but your profile reads Seattle). If it's a similar price, and you don't tackle it yourself, I'd just have everything done at once.

BMW Seattle did my coolant lines in 2016 - I have my paperwork right here and I paid about $1850. There's about a dozen parts listed - parts were 1/3, labor 2/3's of the total bill.

Not sure about a DIY, maybe if you search something would come up

BTW, mine failed while my X5 was still covered by CPO, and they were not covered either. CPO actually has a lot of exclusions. I have a 3rd party warranty now that covers everything - too bad mine failed so early and not when I had my currently warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

You can actually do it yourself for less then a hundred dollars and in a few hours or less... The reason why it's so expensive from the dealer is they replace the entire coolant lines, including the metal tubing that bolts to the turbos. This requires removing the turbos which takes a good 10+ hours to do. The metal part of the coolant lines dont need to be replaced, just the rubber which are very easy to access. Below is a link to a diy for the 550i which had the idential engine as the 50i...oh and when you get done, throw away your engine cover. It's one of the reasons the coolant tubes go bad so fast, trapping heat and wearing everything out that much quicker.

If you do decide to take off the turbos and replace the entire lines, I highly recommend you replace the cylinder head to cylinder head coolant tube and also your turbo oil return lines and oil return housing. Will cost you a few hundred in parts but easy to do while the turbos are off and these typically go bad around 70-100k because BMW can be a real dick sometimes with their use of plastic and cheap rubber (the oil return lines are all metal but can clog from oil boiling and coking them up as they sit right next to the exhaust manifolds)

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1124308

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 06-13-2019 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
You can actually do it yourself for less then a hundred dollars and in a few hours or less... The reason why it's so expensive from the dealer is they replace the entire coolant lines, including the metal tubing that bolts to the turbos. This requires removing the turbos which takes a good 10+ hours to do. The metal part of the coolant lines dont need to be replaced, just the rubber which are very easy to access. Below is a link to a diy for the 550i which had the idential engine as the 50i...oh and when you get done, throw away your engine cover. It's one of the reasons the coolant tubes go bad so fast, trapping heat and wearing everything out that much quicker.

If you do decide to take off the turbos and replace the entire lines, I highly recommend you replace the cylinder head to cylinder head coolant tube and also your turbo oil return lines and oil return housing. Will cost you a few hundred in parts but easy to do while the turbos are off and these typically go bad around 70-100k because BMW can be a real dick sometimes with their use of plastic and cheap rubber (the oil return lines are all metal but can clog from oil boiling and coking them up as they sit right next to the exhaust manifolds)

I had one of mine done for about $900 (CAD). I thought it was important at the time...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #6
dmack92
Rep
Drives: 2013 xdrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post

Thanks for the link. Ill check it out. Tossed the engine cover long long ago lol.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0