XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #1
Arrtus
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Unhappy New engine, no electrical power?

Hello guys,

A couple months ago my father and I purchased a 2012 X5 50i with a blown motor and today we have finished fully installing a new motor into it. Maybe it's worth mentioning that this car was towed home after manually putting it into neutral with the lever below the car. All electronics at this point had been working; all interior electronics, doors, front headlights, etc.

We purchased an engine out of a totaled X5 that was rear ended (so the motor is also in good running condition).

Anyway, before we started this project, I had unhooked the battery terminals and kept it on a charger so it wouldn't go bad.

We officially finished installing everything today. I went to scan it (with BMW specific Foxwell NT510 scanner) prior to first start but there was no electrical power within the vehicle. The key fob does not open or close the doors, putting the key in and pressing the start button without foot on brake also did not do anything. I've also tried with my foot on the brake and nothing.

My scanning tool powers up, tries to scan but cannot find anything since the car isn't "on."

There are only two symbols that come up on the dash and that is the parking light (for like half a second) and then the red car on the lift symbol (5-10 seconds) and then it goes black. If I press the dash button, it will show the mileage and but that is it.

I've triple-checked all the connections, ground and power wires. I've checked all the wires that go to the ECU, they are all connected. We had to cut a set of wires that went to the transmission but I had soldered those back, heat shrunk and wrapped them. I know all the wiring is done correctly.

So we are really stuck on what to do from here. I just recently made an account here to reach out and see if maybe someone has any ideas of what could be the issue. Any suggestions are all welcome. Thank you for reading.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
Arrtus
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Images of what shows up on dash:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 05:25 AM   #3
quick
Captain
Rep
Drives: '12 X5M, '01 E55, '91 964 Trbo

I would think the new engine needs to be programmed for the current ECU by the dealer, no?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 07:00 AM   #4
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
What is your voltage at the jump start terminals under the hood? And are you sure there is not a ground wire missing from the engine to the frame?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
therealet23
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

My x5 (n55) is literally doing the same thing. I have 12v power to both fuse boxes, the IVM, the battery terminal under the hood, terminals in the trunk, the alternator, etc.

I changed the rear battery distribution box (ivm fuse was blown on it) and the ivm. Also the fuse boxes show that no internal fuses are blown (checked with multimeter). I took the black relay from the rear box and swapped it with the one from my 5 series and it works.

Any ideas? I just purchased this car from auction and the previous owner told me it had no electrical issues. I have never cranked the car or even seen it with full electrical power yet. Maybe it’s a ground issue? I did check the ground strap to right/drivers side of the engine bay and it was securely attached.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #6
therealet23
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bump? Any ideas? I ordered the rear fuse box and will try the front fuse box if that doesn’t fix it. I don’t think this is a bst or Ibs issue and i am trying the fuses boxes next as i am getting 12v power through the battery cable to the fuse boxes.

Last edited by therealet23; 09-04-2021 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 05:17 PM   #7
therealet23
Enlisted Member
Rep

I believe the cas isn’t communicating with the car (bricked ) since the auction locksmith people tried to program a key to it. I would imagine since they failed, they said it has an “electrical issue” not that they created it. Anyway, I’ll get my search on but does anyone know what is fully required to reprogram the cas/ and keys? Some things I’m reading say a programmer needs the cas, keys, and ecu (which would suck since it’s under the manifold) and other are saying just keys and cas.

Insights?
Appreciate 0