XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
Shiny.E90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Should I worry about the PDF

Hey everyone so I was on here not too long ago asking about getting a 35D or 35i and thank you to everyone who responded and helped me pick the diesel. So I have been looking and I found one white with saddle brown interior which is what I've been wanting. I really don't care about mileage but this one is at almost 150k (142k to be exact) and I've been reading up on people usually replacing their DPF in the higher miles but not exactly sure when, so basically I am wondering would I have to get this and go ahead and delete the filter as soon as I get it and if not when do they usually need it? (i've read people saying dont worry about them until you get into the 200k range) My initial plan was to get a diesel then remove the DPF and SCR whenever they need replacing/servicing. Thanks everyone
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #2
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny.E90 View Post
Hey everyone so I was on here not too long ago asking about getting a 35D or 35i and thank you to everyone who responded and helped me pick the diesel. So I have been looking and I found one white with saddle brown interior which is what I've been wanting. I really don't care about mileage but this one is at almost 150k (142k to be exact) and I've been reading up on people usually replacing their DPF in the higher miles but not exactly sure when, so basically I am wondering would I have to get this and go ahead and delete the filter as soon as I get it and if not when do they usually need it? (i've read people saying dont worry about them until you get into the 200k range) My initial plan was to get a diesel then remove the DPF and SCR whenever they need replacing/servicing. Thanks everyone
Have you checked the service history? This is a pretty good indication of the reliability. Me personally my x5 35d had 89k on it and I believe it had the metering valve changed and the egr cooler as far as emissions... new brakes and rotors, fuel filter had been changed twice, bmw did oil changes on schedule. One thing I didn't see was the battery drain issue though, but I was able to fix that problem fairly easily. Since I already knew what to expect with the m57, I went ahead and immediately did the electrical egr delete, later installed the block off plates and later fully deleted the egr cooler when I decided to refresh the belts, water pump, thermostat, and harmonic dampener. I also redid the entire vacuum system (excluding the engine mounts, I did replace the EUV though, but that'll get done when I do deletes) Boost solenoids, Euvs, upgraded vacuum lines with metal fittings and ceramic sleeving to help with high heat. Oil changed with bmw oil only and fuel filter was changed (I didn't trust the service history). Replaced the trays over the engine bay w/ new. Removed the stupid ridiculous engine cover/ air filter box and made a custom intake. Did swirl flap delete and checked on cbu. Really about it. It's now at 106k without ANY emissions issues. It regens ever so often and I make sure to give it a good one every few days. Def gets refilled twice a year.

At that mileage I'd hope all of that is done. Plus all fluids, and maybe some suspension components. You might want to refresh suspension tho.