XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

05-07-2020, 04:42 AM   #23
Kissvesala
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 e71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumitru.o View Post
Hi guys

I did it on e70 2008 3.0d with $544 from factory.

You need:

- ACC
- SZL for ACC (not only stalk)
- LDM (in my case)

From certain month/year the LDM role is integrated in the DSC. You can find this date in TIS

Coding with LCI year and $5DF
I have almost same project coming, but on e71 X6 -09 35xd
i have everything else on stock(SZL from e70, already installed), WIRES, Connectors, FRR, LDM , but acc dsc is still under shipment.
what u think do i need to change cluster, and will it work on prelci e71?

Well see it next few days...

i will write here when done.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:12 PM   #24
dumitru.o
coding BMW.....
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW

It should work on 2009 with the original cluster (if the car had $544)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 01:56 AM   #25
Kissvesala
Rep

I install LDM and FRR yesterday, but nothing get to work. I think my LDM is faulty, it gives many many errors and stay online few minutes after ignition, then it shutdown, FRR is offline alltime. I have doublecheck wires and connectors and they are ok.

Bracket for FRR was hard work to install to bumper steel, because there are no place ready for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #26
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 E71 40d (2012)

Kissvesala
Can you post some photos of how you installed the bracket for the radar?
Also tell us what the errors are and perhaps we can help.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 01:25 AM   #27
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E70 BMW X5d

I installed the ACC and LDM the other day. ISTA+ complained about DSC coding, PT-CAN communication, and LDM communication, but the ACC module was green and has no errors (at least what can be seen with ISTA+). When I first wired it all up, the ACC complained about S-CAN communication, but I let the car sleep a couple times and now the ACC module seems to be good. Today, I updated the VO with NCSexpert by adding $5DF to the CAS and FRM VO's, then coded those based on the new VOs. I also coded the DSC module to the new VO and that removed a lot of complaining of the DSC and transmission. At this point, ISTA+ doesn't give me any errors, except for two, both from the LDM:

Error 62d6 interface dsc
Erros 63dd interface dsc

ISTA-P sees the new VO in the initial screen list of options, then as it processes the car, it mentions the LDM and ACC are found, but "the VO doesn't need them" and says to disconnect them or use some coding option that doesn't exist in the vehicle options. I am thinking wherever ISTA-P is looking, the updated VO is not there, yet.

I'm also confused if I should be putting the stop & go option ($5DF) or the regular ACC option ($541) in the VO.

Any ideas, guys?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 01:36 AM   #28
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

?'s

Quote:
I did all the coding with NCS after i programmed the new modules with winkfp.
Greetings from the USA!

What did you program to the LDM, ACC, & SZL using WINKFP? The latest module firmware?

What did you code to the modules? The factory VO coding?

Since the ACC uses a private can to the LDM, how did that work to program with WINKFP? I have not used WINKFP - any details you can remember would be great for any steps in the process.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:49 AM   #29
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey robinasu good work on making progress with this!

I think (from my reading not experience) that the option you need to code is $541.
Presumably you already had the cruise control with braking function from factory not just standard cruise control?

I'm still searching for an ACC module so for now I'm a spectator still.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #30
Kissvesala
Rep

Robinasu. 5DF is correct. U need to change dsc brake unit to acc model. My own project is pending parts. My s-can wires was short circuited so i fail one ldm. (Or mayby connection problem is that i need to let car sleeps more)
Anyway... Waiting new used from Italy. I have now 2 working frr sensors, but none working LDM. Also i have already changed abs/dsc unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:39 AM   #31
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by radial View Post
Hard to find here too from what I can see. It just happened to come with it.

I saw some people talking about changing the minimum speed that it will activate at so sure you could change the distance. From what I've see though, the older modules are not very fast which is why the distance is likely relatively far away. Can't find that thread now to share it.

That harness will work with the newer ACC2 yes, I believe that connector is P/N 8364624 and the pins for it are 61130005201.
However, if I need to use the older ACC unit, it has a 12 ping connector as far as I know. Trying to find photos of it is hard.

As for the LDM, I'm not sure I need it as at some point the functions of the LDM were integrated into the DSC unit and I have a later / newer version of the DSC (6864696), although I would perhaps need the pins to connect into the spaces on the DSC connector. Do you have any thoughts on that? It was something I read on other posts but perhaps applies to much later models like F series. Certainly the wiring diagram on newTis suggests I need it.
Hey Radial, sorry I missed some of your questions. I wasn't "in it" before, but now I am.

Ok, so I did grab all the signals from the DSC connector. I tried to buy parts so I could remove the pins from the DSC connector and put them in a new intermediating connector, but I didn't order parts correctly. I hate the Tyco marketing names and product organization- they make what could be very simple ever so complicated! Anyway, I had the Delphi connectors and pins, so I just cut the OEM pins from the car side harness and crimped on the Delphi pins, then wired up F-CAN, PT-CAN, 15WakeUP, etc. I was pretty happy with the result. Not many people could find my additions. At the same time I wired in the active steering module. That will be phase 2.

I haven't seen a wiring diagram for the E70 that shows no LDM. I have not looked into the X6 diagrams. The X5 diagrams show the FRR (radar) connected to the LDM via a private CAN they call S-CAN.

Last edited by robinasu; 05-28-2020 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #32
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

Update

Ok, here is where I'm at:

I still have codes 62d6 & 63dd. ISTA+ guided fault finding says these codes are caused by external components. Remember, I do not have the correct SZL with the ACC following distance dial and the SZL signals flow through the DSC, so the 62d6 & 63dd "interface" codes make sense.

I confirmed I have these ZUSB #'s:

FRR is 6863329
LDM is 6793927
DSC is 6864696

The only error in the car is from the LDM, which I was able to flash with WINKFP. After that it needed coding. After coding, it worked as it did before the WINKFP flash.

I cannot flash the FRR. WinKFP complains about changing programming modes with 10FLASH and "ecu security access denied / security access requested." Otherwise, it's green in ISTA+ and throws no codes. I can also play around with the FRR ECU settings in ISTA+, so I believe it's working.

I believe DSC 6864696 will work, but not 100%. The daten database tools in the BimmerGeeks tool package say it works with 5DF.

ISTA-P acts weird- it doesn't think the car needs the LDM and FRR even though the VO has 5DF.

Also, the car won't let me change the build date from 07/12 to 08/12 or 9/12 using either NCSexpert or ISTA-P. I didn't try any other dates. Maybe I need to be in expert mode for this? I'm not sure I need to change the date but it's just odd and I'd like to know why it behaves like that.

I wound up making a NCSexpert .SSD file to code the whole car quickly and I recommend it.

Hopefully Dumitru can chime in with some more details to help me confirm my direction, but at this point, I'm leaning towards needing the ACC SZL.

Can you guys share the numbers on the SZL label if you have it in your notes (or a pic)?

Last edited by robinasu; 05-28-2020 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #33
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissvesala View Post
Robinasu. 5DF is correct. U need to change dsc brake unit to acc model. My own project is pending parts. My s-can wires was short circuited so i fail one ldm. (Or mayby connection problem is that i need to let car sleeps more)
Anyway... Waiting new used from Italy. I have now 2 working frr sensors, but none working LDM. Also i have already changed abs/dsc unit.
I hope not - Which ZUSB number was your original DSC module and which did you buy to replace it?

Last edited by robinasu; 05-28-2020 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 12:42 PM   #34
Kissvesala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinasu View Post
I hope not - Which ZUSB number was your original DSC module and which did you buy to replace it?
i have older car, but as you can see from here:
https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...dX/ECE/34_1601

there is different pump with acc. im not sure yours.

i have still problems. My LDM does not work. its starting by table with tools, but not in the car. it shows only list of faults on inpa functional job list and it can be see by ista, but nothing more. acc shows also but cannot calibrate or do anything else. is it possible that my jbbf is too old to send correct pt can message to get ldm allive???
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 01:03 PM   #35
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissvesala View Post
Ok, another update here. Kissvesala, thanks for the comment. It made me think.

Quick recap:

The FRR, LDM, and wiring all installed and hardware seems to be working. The FRR (radar) won't accept a flash and complains about security access, but doesn't throw any codes. Not sure about this and if all the modules need my VIN to work correctly. I still need the ACC SZL and maybe a new DSC module. More on that in a bit.
At this point, I'm full into coding and trying to understand the daten system and all the different file types. Please course correct any statements because I am a newb.

I've been able to code the car with 5DF while experimenting and have been able to code it back to it's original state by removing 5DF using FA_WRITE, then processing the car, which I'm very happy about. In the process, I've observed how NCSexpert & WinKFP interact with the car and daten files. NCSexpert won't allow some date and option changes to the VO/FA, which says to me there are some vehicle configuration files in the daten files. I've explored the daten files using notepad and I see there is some kind of file/VO control, but cannot wrap my head around it, yet.

My immediate issue seems to be the DSC module. The LDM and parking brake module (and maybe some others) complain about "DSC interface" stuff when all coded for 5DF. My X5 came from the factory with the the normal cruise with brake function (544). I've looked at ACC unit labels on the internet to compare to mine:

My DSC label says:
3451 6854702-01
DSC E70/71
ECU 3452 6854704-01

DSC units that came with the ACC (5DF) option say:
3451 6854706-01
DSC E70/71 ACC
ECU 3452 6854704-01

What jumps out at me is the ECU number, which I believe is also called the ZUSB number?

I would be surprised BMW would have two pieces of ECU hardware with the same ECU number. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the two part numbers are different part numbers due to the firmware loaded. This leads me back to the daten files. How does the system use the PABD (ipo), P-SGBD (prg), HW-NR (0pa), SW-NR (Oda), Base ECU #, ECU Address, and the daten VO control logic to load flash files in WinKFP? If possible, I would like to find the files used to flash the ACC part number firmware to my existing DSC. To do this I need to understand all the folders & files in the daten database.

My first target is the files in the daten folder that end in *.CXX

For the DSC, I see EHB_70.C02, EHB_70.C04, EHB_70.C05, EHB_70.C20. I tried changing *.C file name presented in NCSexpert during coding, but it didn't seem to allow it or I suck (likely).

Does anyone know how to proceed?

Last edited by robinasu; 06-01-2020 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 11:47 PM   #36
Kissvesala
Rep

Yep. Its true that there is same ecu number, but hydroblock is different. You dont need to flash it. Block with 5DF there is physical pressure sensor inside the block.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 04:01 AM   #37
radial
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for everyone posting their findings here, it's really useful to follow.

Just checking on some earlier reading I did that said I don't need to update my DSC if I already have cruise with braking function. Above it's been suggested that you do need to change the unit, but I'm not sure that is always true, just to complicate things. I'm not saying anyone is wrong as I've still not tried (waiting on my sensor), just sharing what I found.

This post is worth a read.
https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1122966

Also if I check parts here, it shows a different hydro unit for the ACC with stop go function (34516865026), but based on the lack of other options listed, it leads me to believe that all other versions of the car have the same hydro unit regardless of if they have cruise, cruise with braking or acc (34516865025)
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=34_1601
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 07:13 AM   #38
Kissvesala
Rep

My original dsc was with nbr: 34516780126 and ecu 3452678270. after coding it with 5DF it start to miss brake pressure sensors. This is same situation with newer F-series cars.

New unit is nbr: 34516798525 and ecu 34526798286
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #39
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, there are some things to sort out. I found a DSC unit PN 34516854707 on eBay and bought it. It's an older part that is exchangeable with 34516865026, if I read realoem correctly.

My DSC would complain about resetting the pressure sensor after I coded it, so not sure what is up. We will figure this out.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 06:13 AM   #40
Poms
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93

Hi all,

I'm so glad to find this thread.

First of all thanks to everyone who contributes.

I live in France, and it's difficult to find information on retrofit here.

So I have a 2009 X6 E71 35d with lots of options (with 544) and wanted to add the Active Cruise control option.
I already managed to do it without any issue on an E93.

For the X6, I came across this Russian blog which was of great help to me (thanks to Google TRAD... )

I was lucky to find the complete set in Poland (SZL, FRR, DSC premium ACC and LDM from an E70)
I first changed the DSC module, then installed the ACC radar, then the wiring and the LDM.

I coded the DSC, HUD, KOMBI, JBBF, CIC. Now I can see all the modules in ISTA D and INPA, but when I want to activate the regulator (even when stopped) I immediately have a fault that come.

According to ISTA, I have 2 errors :
LDM: CE6C (Status door sensors, 0x1E1) LDM Receiver, FRM
ACC: D156 Signal Invalid (Vehicle data SF-CAN 3, 0x704) Transmitter LDM

I think the error of the ACC comes from the fault of the LDM. And the error of the LDM comes from that I have a FRM 2 which does not send the signal from the closed doors, which causes an error in the LDM.

For those who have managed to do this retrofit, do you know if we should change a coding in the FRM or if we must go to the FRM3 ?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 08:01 AM   #41
dumitru.o
coding BMW.....
Romania
Rep

hi guys,

i am sorry i didn t posted lately in this topic but there are lots of questions and is very hard to follow/answer....i will try to sum it up what i know and hopefully you can get most of your questions from it

first of all, i did this retrofit on an E70 2008 3.0D with Cruise Control with Braking function and Active Steering.

i replaced the SZL (to have the ACC stalk), the KOMBI (because i found one nice from X5M - downside***** is that you can t get the ACC info on it ->you only can see it in the HUD), the FRM (replaced before for LCI retrofit), used ACC sensor (new bracket), used LDM module

i updated all the modules to the latest sw level (except the KOMBI i think) then change the year in the VO to LCI (or at least one that could accept $5DF) and added $5DF to the VO then coded the car

bear in mint that the process was not that simple and that i did lots of trial and error before getting to the expected result

a wrong combination of date and SA code in the VO will give you an error on NCS so if you get to that, check all the SA coded you have in the VO, one of them might not be compatible to the new date (LCI) you wrote into your VO

there are other (at least) two key points you should have in mind when going for this retrofit:

1. E70 and E71 are not 100% identical cars and you should investigate deeper into TIS for your specific model and especially for your specific year and optional

The ACC requires an ICM control unit (Integrated Chassis Management) or an LDM control unit (Longitudinal Dynamics Management) in addition to the ACC control unit. These control unit are then installed as follows:

In the X6 an LDM control unit is installed as well as the ACC control unit. In addition, there is also another ICM control unit which is not however used for the ACC function!
In the X5 an LDM control unit is installed as well as the ACC control unit.
On all other vehicles, an ICM control unit is installed as well as the ACC control unit.

The Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function has been available since 2007. The Stop&Go function expands the familiar Active Cruise Control feature by the following functions:

more here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ntrol/BIQgK4xr

2. the DSC module is only one on the E70 non LCI and two distinct DSC modules on the LCI models from 04.2010 (with or without 5DF)

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...N2/ECE/34_1601

i will return with more info once i retrieve them

DSC interface error is usually because of wrong coding or because of wrong module but for the retrofit to ACC i still suggest the DSC is not needed if the car had 544 (for non LCI cars i mean)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:11 AM   #42
Poms
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
hi guys,

i am sorry i didn t posted lately in this topic but there are lots of questions and is very hard to follow/answer....i will try to sum it up what i know and hopefully you can get most of your questions from it

first of all, i did this retrofit on an E70 2008 3.0D with Cruise Control with Braking function and Active Steering.

i replaced the SZL (to have the ACC stalk), the KOMBI (because i found one nice from X5M - downside***** is that you can t get the ACC info on it ->you only can see it in the HUD), the FRM (replaced before for LCI retrofit), used ACC sensor (new bracket), used LDM module

i updated all the modules to the latest sw level (except the KOMBI i think) then change the year in the VO to LCI (or at least one that could accept $5DF) and added $5DF to the VO then coded the car

bear in mint that the process was not that simple and that i did lots of trial and error before getting to the expected result

a wrong combination of date and SA code in the VO will give you an error on NCS so if you get to that, check all the SA coded you have in the VO, one of them might not be compatible to the new date (LCI) you wrote into your VO

there are other (at least) two key points you should have in mind when going for this retrofit:

1. E70 and E71 are not 100% identical cars and you should investigate deeper into TIS for your specific model and especially for your specific year and optional

The ACC requires an ICM control unit (Integrated Chassis Management) or an LDM control unit (Longitudinal Dynamics Management) in addition to the ACC control unit. These control unit are then installed as follows:

In the X6 an LDM control unit is installed as well as the ACC control unit. In addition, there is also another ICM control unit which is not however used for the ACC function!
In the X5 an LDM control unit is installed as well as the ACC control unit.
On all other vehicles, an ICM control unit is installed as well as the ACC control unit.

The Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function has been available since 2007. The Stop&Go function expands the familiar Active Cruise Control feature by the following functions:

more here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ntrol/BIQgK4xr

2. the DSC module is only one on the E70 non LCI and two distinct DSC modules on the LCI models from 04.2010 (with or without 5DF)

https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...N2/ECE/34_1601

i will return with more info once i retrieve them

DSC interface error is usually because of wrong coding or because of wrong module but for the retrofit to ACC i still suggest the DSC is not needed if the car had 544 (for non LCI cars i mean)
Thank you for your information,

Do you know how we can update the acc sensor with winkfp ?

We have an error "Security access denied" when we try.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #43
dumitru.o
coding BMW.....
Romania
Rep

I really don t remember, and maybe you can t but if that s the case, then leave it as it is, it should work no problem
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #44
Kissvesala
Rep

I got my own to work. It need newer jbbf3r. Next job is wiring pdc to junction box.
Appreciate 0