XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-27-2021, 04:08 AM   #177
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

First time on for a few weeks...I plan on updating my mainly positive experience shortly...

But to be kick things off, I’d get one from a bricks and mortar supplier in North America...where you can get real phone or online support - your going to pay more but it could be worth it. Buy the latest spec, and load it up with the bells and whistles. My guess is they are all produced at the same factory.

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 02-27-2021 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 04:39 AM   #178
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Can’t get back to sleep... so here’s the first cut at an update...Firstly, install isn’t that bad... watch the videos and then start.

I tried to get a local Installer to do the job...no one had done one around here - one installer agreed but I ended up doing it myself.

Would I do it again, yes.

Never been able to overcome the drop-in screen brightness when using original IDrive. It’s at 50% and that’s that. But as use of the original Idrive is minimal - it’s not an issue. Also a scan with the Foxwell reports one combox error that remains constant but doesn’t seem to cause any grief.

Connection to the android unit is quick and one touch later to CarPlay via a press of the ZLink App. After short stops, and shutdowns it usually fires back up on start-up on its own.... for instance if I was listening to IHeart radio... it would fire back up and keep on playing...

I still get occasional android system crashes- but live with it. I am an IPhone user.

My biggest issue at the beginning was caused by the disconnected purple harness cable. I installed it as delivered and spent a week or two finding that issue and overcoming that. I even reset the unit.... which initially seemed like a bad step but was overcome. Lost the sellers factory tweaked install load of apps, but the upside was I quickly learned about android and how to add what I wanted.

Routing a 3.5mm cable into the center console was fairly simple...I used a vinyl covered coat hanger with the end of the cable attached to simply work it into the console and a flashlight to illuminate the best pathway (easy)...a hole was drilled beside the existing plug slightly larger than the 3.5mm plug barrel. Apart from getting the harness in neatly - that’s the hardest thing and it’s not hard.

Sound quality has been perfect without any modification, although my factory rear view camera has never had the same clarity since install of the android unit.

We have a year old X3 M40i with CarPlay of course....the 2013 X6M tech wise has come-on leaps and bounds.... I had no plans to sell and definitely won’t be now...That being said, even if changing the actual dash was possible... I prefer the original.

If anyone has any questions I’m happy to help... I appreciated the help given to me by the likes of argento, jvirgi and others.

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 02-27-2021 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
argento538.00
      02-27-2021, 03:06 PM   #179
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

SUMMARY: 1 minute 5 seconds from ENGINE START to opening WAZE in CarPlay.

I have built-in wireless CarPlay. I have my settings set to default to OEM side on startup. Also note that I have CarPlay set for auto connect at startup. I also already had the Monitor BT in my iPhone waiting for discovery. There is a PDF you receive from 4x4 shop that explains how to connect your phone to CarPlay wirelessly and it involves hotspot and tethering. I'm going to assume I followed the MFG instructions at install, and I only had to do it once. You have to remember that you can only have OEM BT or Monitor BT connected, not both simultaneously. I sometimes swap between the two, so I haven't 'forgotten' the OEM BT on my iphone. Both were showing disconnected before starting the test. Given that, this is how I ran the test to get the time above...

I STARTED ENGINE and stopwatch app on my iphone simultaneously. OEM Screen shows on monitor immediately. On my iphone I went to SETTINGS>BT menu and as I expected OEM BT connected first. I immediately disconnected. At 51 seconds, the Monitor BT connected. My screen auto switched to the Monitor and in the upper right corner there was an orange bubble that appeared with my iphone's name. Then it switched to CarPlay. I pressed the WAZE button. Turned stopwatch off at 1min 5 sec.

IF I hadn't immediately disconnected OEM BT, I don't think it would have been as quick or worked as above...

BTW - I'm working two other projects, so I won't have DAC testing done anytime soon...
      02-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #180
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 ZHP 6sp + 2012 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
Can’t get back to sleep... so here’s the first cut at an update...Firstly, install isn’t that bad... watch the videos and then start.

I tried to get a local Installer to do the job...no one had done one around here - one installer agreed but I ended up doing it myself.

Would I do it again, yes.

Never been able to overcome the drop-in screen brightness when using original IDrive. It’s at 50% and that’s that. But as use of the original Idrive is minimal - it’s not an issue. Also a scan with the Foxwell reports one combox error that remains constant but doesn’t seem to cause any grief.

Connection to the android unit is quick and one touch later to CarPlay via a press of the ZLink App. After short stops, and shutdowns it usually fires back up on start-up on its own.... for instance if I was listening to IHeart radio... it would fire back up and keep on playing...

I still get occasional android system crashes- but live with it. I am an IPhone user.

My biggest issue at the beginning was caused by the disconnected purple harness cable. I installed it as delivered and spent a week or two finding that issue and overcoming that. I even reset the unit.... which initially seemed like a bad step but was overcome. Lost the sellers factory tweaked install load of apps, but the upside was I quickly learned about android and how to add what I wanted.

Routing a 3.5mm cable into the center console was fairly simple...I used a vinyl covered coat hanger with the end of the cable attached to simply work it into the console and a flashlight to illuminate the best pathway (easy)...a hole was drilled beside the existing plug slightly larger than the 3.5mm plug barrel. Apart from getting the harness in neatly - that’s the hardest thing and it’s not hard.

Sound quality has been perfect without any modification, although my factory rear view camera has never had the same clarity since install of the android unit.

We have a year old X3 M40i with CarPlay of course....the 2013 X6M tech wise has come-on leaps and bounds.... I had no plans to sell and definitely won’t be now...That being said, even if changing the actual dash was possible... I prefer the original.

If anyone has any questions I’m happy to help... I appreciated the help given to me by the likes of argento, jvirgi and others.
Thanks for sharing all this! Thats very strange the factory rear view camera doesn't have the same clarity. I wonder why that would happen?

As for CarPlay, is yours wireless? How fast is "quick" for you?

Thats great about the sound quality being perfect without modification. I've heard a lot of complaints about sound being crappy, but it seems to vary from person to person. What sound system do you have? Does it sound as good as OEM? Are you using streaming music like Spotify etc, or playing something off the usb/hard drive?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 09:42 PM   #181
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
SUMMARY: 1 minute 5 seconds from ENGINE START to opening WAZE in CarPlay.

I have built-in wireless CarPlay. I have my settings set to default to OEM side on startup. Also note that I have CarPlay set for auto connect at startup. I also already had the Monitor BT in my iPhone waiting for discovery. There is a PDF you receive from 4x4 shop that explains how to connect your phone to CarPlay wirelessly and it involves hotspot and tethering. I'm going to assume I followed the MFG instructions at install, and I only had to do it once. You have to remember that you can only have OEM BT or Monitor BT connected, not both simultaneously. I sometimes swap between the two, so I haven't 'forgotten' the OEM BT on my iphone. Both were showing disconnected before starting the test. Given that, this is how I ran the test to get the time above...

I STARTED ENGINE and stopwatch app on my iphone simultaneously. OEM Screen shows on monitor immediately. On my iphone I went to SETTINGS>BT menu and as I expected OEM BT connected first. I immediately disconnected. At 51 seconds, the Monitor BT connected. My screen auto switched to the Monitor and in the upper right corner there was an orange bubble that appeared with my iphone's name. Then it switched to CarPlay. I pressed the WAZE button. Turned stopwatch off at 1min 5 sec.

IF I hadn't immediately disconnected OEM BT, I don't think it would have been as quick or worked as above...

BTW - I'm working two other projects, so I won't have DAC testing done anytime soon...
This is an amazing level of detail, argento! Thank you!

This is definitely the most precise answer I've found, at 1min 5 secs!. Even when I called the 4x4 shop, they would only say "it's fast" but refused to give me a real answer. It's great that they answer the phone and actually have a sales person, but the guy's English isn't great, and I think a lot gets lost in translation.

Why do you use the OEM BT still? For Calls? I've been wondering if I would need both still for anything. Also, If I'm following correctly, I would have to imagine the 1 minute 5 seconds would be even faster if you didn't have to disconnect the OEM bluetooth first, right?

So do you not use the hotspot and tethering setup for daily use? Thats what the sales guy told me I was going to need to do. If you don't, how do you get around it? He said it was needed for any of the apps that needed internet.

Lastly, thats cool that you have CarPlay set for auto connect at startup. How do you set that up? I was thinking I'd want to do this too, and asked the sales guy on the phone and also couldn't get a straight answer from him.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #182
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_G View Post
Thanks for sharing all this! Thats very strange the factory rear view camera doesn't have the same clarity. I wonder why that would happen?

Not sure what's going on there...definitely not as good as it was...

As for CarPlay, is yours wireless? How fast is "quick" for you? Wireless...Ignition to streaming on carplay, less that 60Secs

Thats great about the sound quality being perfect without modification. I've heard a lot of complaints about sound being crappy, but it seems to vary from person to person. What sound system do you have? Does it sound as good as OEM? Are you using streaming music like Spotify etc, or playing something off the usb/hard drive?

Stock sound system.. basically just use streaming apps.

Thanks for your thoughts!
1. Not sure what's going on with camera...definitely not as good as it was...2. Wireless...Ignition to streaming on carplay, less that 60Secs. 3. Stock sound system.. basically just use streaming apps. 4. No Prob...Sound is anything but crappy....

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 02-28-2021 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #183
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
1. Not sure what's going on with camera...definitely not as good as it was...2. Wireless...Ignition to streaming on carplay, less that 60Secs. 3. Stock sound system.. basically just use streaming apps. 4. No Prob...Sound is anything but crappy....
Thanks! Regarding the camera, I do wonder if it's simply a resolution issue, ie our OEM screen resolution is likely lower than your new screen, if say, it's now 1920x1080 resolution. That will cause anything to look pixelated. It's like watching SD on an HDTV. Looks a lot worse when viewed on the higher res monitor. The OEM UI might scale through code and not be noticeable. Just some guesses...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 11:34 AM   #184
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Have the 1920x720....Its been a months since I have played with any settings....My thoughts are to wait for an Android update sometime...and see if that changes anything with respect to the reversing camera and Idrive brightness.

I recorded the boot-up...but couldn't upload.

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 03-03-2021 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #185
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Ok - Thanks everyone. I just ordered the 10.25" 1920x1080 Blue Screen with 4gb Ram 64 Rom with built-in CarPlay from the 4x4 shop in Canada. I like that they have decent customer service, and at least answer the phone. Thats better than most of these places. We will see what happens! It should arrive later this week.

The biggest roll of the dice in my mind will be the sound quality—i've read mixed reviews ranging from "great with just the standard cords used" to "really bad sound quality".
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #186
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ok - Thanks everyone. I just ordered the 10.25" 1920x1080 Blue Screen with 4gb Ram 64 Rom with built-in CarPlay from the 4x4 shop in Canada. I like that they have decent customer service, and at least answer the phone. Thats better than most of these places. We will see what happens! It should arrive later this week.

The biggest roll of the dice in my mind will be the sound quality—i've read mixed reviews ranging from "great with just the standard cords used" to "really bad sound quality".
Congrats! Remember it's not a perfect solution, but for me the good outweighs the bad. Sound is very subjective. Sound has improved by leaps and bounds since the Jan.2018 version I recently replaced. I have the S752A Individual Audio and it sound great on the oem side with a definite drop in quality on the android side. Using a DAC gets it back up to fantastic, BUT at least until I figure out otherwise, it's either the DAC or the rest of the Android sound, not both. I had it working with a discontinued high end DAC (OPPO), but have been looking for something with auto on/off.

Regarding BT, I've been using both oem and android, but will likely move to all android...I just haven't been driving all that much lately.

Jeremy
      03-01-2021, 04:36 PM   #187
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congrats! Remember it's not a perfect solution, but for me the good outweighs the bad. Sound is very subjective. Sound has improved by leaps and bounds since the Jan.2018 version I recently replaced. I have the S752A Individual Audio and it sound great on the oem side with a definite drop in quality on the android side. Using a DAC gets it back up to fantastic, BUT at least until I figure out otherwise, it's either the DAC or the rest of the Android sound, not both. I had it working with a discontinued high end DAC (OPPO), but have been looking for something with auto on/off.

Regarding BT, I've been using both oem and android, but will likely move to all android...I just haven't been driving all that much lately.

Jeremy
Thanks argento ! I have the S752A Individual Audio as well. I do agree, sound quality is very subjective. I am happy enough with the factory bluetooth quality for music, so if I can get the android output to that point, i'll be more than happy too.

I've spent a good deal of time searching for people reviewing it, and some have mentioned it sounds "just as good" as factory bluetooth, and others including yourself, have mentioned the need for the DAC. I've read some theories regarding the possibility of defective port connections in the HU or other touch points in the setup that cause the hit or miss sound quality—which seems reasonable as an explanation, but obviously disappointing if it's on the HU side as that would mean a bad quality control issue. I will almost entirely be using the android HU to output music from spotify and other streaming apps, not USB or off the hard drive, so we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 04:58 PM   #188
argento
Captain
Rep

Let me add, about sound, I said it was a 'a definite drop in quality' but it is NOT crappy. It's pretty good, just not as good as a CD with OEM side sound OR as with a DAC on the android side...I can get fixated on minor details, sorry...

Also, regarding rear view camera, I'd guess the monitor is auto-sizing up from the OEM resolution to meet the screen size and thus makes it pixelated? I haven't looked into it too much...
      03-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #189
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Good for you...probably the best place to buy from at the moment...as they seem to provide good support and if you want it, a guided install...Had I purchased from them, my first instinct...I'm sure I wouldn't have had the teething problems that I did have.

Interested to hear how you make out...I did replace the stock 3.5mm cable with a longer/better one with a slim barrel. Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:58 PM   #190
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks Bilbofraggins! Does the UI on the factory side look bad too? Or just the camera streaming image?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #191
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me add, about sound, I said it was a 'a definite drop in quality' but it is NOT crappy. It's pretty good, just not as good as a CD with OEM side sound OR as with a DAC on the android side...I can get fixated on minor details, sorry...

Also, regarding rear view camera, I'd guess the monitor is auto-sizing up from the OEM resolution to meet the screen size and thus makes it pixelated? I haven't looked into it too much...
Yeah, getting it to CD level output would be amazing. I would imagine the right DAC is our only option for improvement, but I don't know. I'm going to do some research as well, and will report back if I figure anything out.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 07:31 PM   #192
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

I need to come clean on the reverse camera...apparently the brightness and contrast had changed - not something I consciously remember doing... Beer was likely involved... I won’t comment any more....It’s working normally... That is All🍺🍺👍
Appreciate 2
argento538.00
Jon_G13.50
      03-03-2021, 07:37 PM   #193
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Bilbofraggins! Does the UI on the factory side look bad too? Or just the camera streaming image?
Factory IDrive UI is normal except nothing changes it from a 50% brightness setting... Hardly gets used so I live with it...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 09:04 AM   #194
argento
Captain
Rep

Since you mentioned dimming, Nyc Dito filled me in that the Dimmer Switch and Control Display Screen Brightness settings don't work because the dimming wire remains with the OEM NAV connector that we tuck away once the Android Monitor is installed. I updated Post #149 in my build thread, but FWIW I did the following testing:

Key In, Start ON, Engine OFF, Lights Off, Android Brightness Setting 100%
-Both Android and OEM Screens are same brightness
-Dimmer switch does nothing
-OEM>Settings>Control Display>Screen Brightness does nothing

Key In, Start ON, Engine OFF, Lights Off, Android Brightness Setting 0%
-Both Android and OEM Screens are same low dim output
-Dimmer switch does nothing.

Key In, Start ON, Engine OFF, Android Brightness Setting 100%
-Both Android and OEM Screens are bright, I turn on lights, both oem and android screens switch to a random dimmed setting

Key In, Start ON, Engine OFF, Lights Off, Android Brightness Setting 0%
-Both Android and OEM Screens are dim, I turn on lights, NO switch to a random dim setting (guessing it's at the lowest already)

The LIGHTS ON auto dim setting is dependent on the Android brightness setting, with 0% the lowest setting in the system.

Last edited by argento; 03-04-2021 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #195
argento
Captain
Rep

Jon_G, can you do me a favor and post an image of the monitor screen app list immediately after install? I need to know what apps were default. Thanks in advance!
      03-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #196
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jon_G, can you do me a favor and post an image of the monitor screen app list immediately after install? I need to know what apps were default. Thanks in advance!
argento - you're in luck, I just did the install today and you caught me while I was finishing it up. That said, see the attached pic of the default installed apps, at least on the 4x4 store version:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
argento538.00
      03-09-2021, 06:38 PM   #197
argento
Captain
Rep

Awesome! THANK YOU. I've picked up the DAC testing again...
      03-09-2021, 10:23 PM   #198
Jon_G
Private
United_States
Rep

Ok, finished the installation...

Initial thoughts after about 30 mins of drive time on the 4x4 Shop 10.25" 1920x1080 Android Head Unit.

Pros:

1. Sound Clarity using the basic setup wired to the auxiliary-in is as good or better than factory bluetooth when streaming on Spotify, within CarPlay, on the Android Unit. I haven't tried playing local media yet. This was a nice surprise as I've read mix results.

2. The 1920x1080 blue screen resolution feels really nice at this driver's seat distance.

3. Installation wasn't terrible, but took about 3.5 hours total still.

A few tips I can share from installation:

1. Get a GPS splitter if you have the factory navigation. Otherwise you're going to have to run a wire from the HU and mount the chunky GPS antenna somewhere on your dash, and nobody wants that.

2. I was able to install the 4G/LTE/Hot Spot Antenna in the A-Pillar, hidden, and it still seems to be working well and picking up signal, at least serving as a hotspot within the car—which you will need for this setup. I haven't tried the 4G/LTE out yet, and probably won't get to it for a while.

3. It does not come with a mic, although it does have a mic input if you want to use one. The mic is built in, and so far not bad? Will keep testing it though.

Issues so far:

1. Most important thing to figure out, and would love thoughts from anyone here: When I press the "M" Button on my steering wheel, it kicks me back to the factory iDrive System. I then have to touch the screen to re-enter the android, and then go to apps again, then re-open whatever app I had open. This is a major issue, so if anyone has any idea what's going on causing this bug, please let me know. I've yet to spend any time trouble shooting it, but it's going to be my top priority as it makes the experience break down in large way.

2. I've noticed a "hiss" most likely consistent with a less than stellar aux connection, with the volume down, but only at certain points. I'll update more on this once after driving it more tomorrow.
Appreciate 0