XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-14-2022, 09:56 AM   #45
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

I'd pay extra money to live next to one of those old airfields that is constantly flying P-51s, F4Us and P-47s.

R2800 Double Wasp is love.
Appreciate 4
3.0L8950.00
vreihen1615523.00
Llarry16707.00
paquet629.50
      10-16-2022, 07:39 AM   #46
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Just found this thread...
My condolences to those whose dads have passed - I'm in that club too, and it sucks, even years later.

On the topic at hand:
- Pearson airport in Toronto, Canada has a new policy that I encountered - even if a flight has a takeoff time for 0600, you get to fiddle with your parts while waiting to taxi to the active runway until 0630 - apparently, due to 'noise abatement', no takeoffs before 0630. FFS

- There's nothing like the sound of an aircraft engine - it's doing something that you can't do no matter how hard you flap your arms - it's propelling a body into the air, so yeah, colour me as 'sound of freedom'

- that term itself 'sound of freedom' reminds me of Kelly Johnson referring to the sound of the SR-71's engines. From the book 'Skunk Works':
"As time went on we were being routed over least-populated areas because of growing complaints about sonic booms. One of them came straight from Nixon. One of our airplanes boomed him while he was reading on the patio of his estate at San Clemente. He got on the horn to the chief of staff and said, “Goddam it, you’re disturbing people.” One little community named Susanville, in California, sat right in a valley and was in the path of our return route to Beale. The sonic boom would echo off the hills and crack windows and plaster. We had the townspeople in, showed them the airplane, appealed to their patriotism, and told them the boom was “the sound of freedom.” They lapped it up."

Some other references attribute it to being used to sell car salesmen on the noise of those J-58 engines.

Personally, I prefer the meme term: "please, I can only get so erect"
Appreciate 4
Lady Jane72041.50
Llarry16707.00
NYG10960.00
3.0L8950.00
      10-19-2022, 02:42 PM   #47
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquet View Post
Just found this thread...
My condolences to those whose dads have passed - I'm in that club too, and it sucks, even years later.

On the topic at hand:
- Pearson airport in Toronto, Canada has a new policy that I encountered - even if a flight has a takeoff time for 0600, you get to fiddle with your parts while waiting to taxi to the active runway until 0630 - apparently, due to 'noise abatement', no takeoffs before 0630. FFS

- There's nothing like the sound of an aircraft engine - it's doing something that you can't do no matter how hard you flap your arms - it's propelling a body into the air, so yeah, colour me as 'sound of freedom'

- that term itself 'sound of freedom' reminds me of Kelly Johnson referring to the sound of the SR-71's engines. From the book 'Skunk Works':
"As time went on we were being routed over least-populated areas because of growing complaints about sonic booms. One of them came straight from Nixon. One of our airplanes boomed him while he was reading on the patio of his estate at San Clemente. He got on the horn to the chief of staff and said, “Goddam it, you’re disturbing people.” One little community named Susanville, in California, sat right in a valley and was in the path of our return route to Beale. The sonic boom would echo off the hills and crack windows and plaster. We had the townspeople in, showed them the airplane, appealed to their patriotism, and told them the boom was “the sound of freedom.” They lapped it up."

Some other references attribute it to being used to sell car salesmen on the noise of those J-58 engines.

Personally, I prefer the meme term: "please, I can only get so erect"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklaho...nic_boom_tests
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 07:27 PM   #48
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Thank you - Just read through that article.

It's a pity there are such shitheads everywhere, and in every facet of time.

Sonic booms remind me - most recently of that stolen plane at/around SEATAC by a mechanic... F-15's that were scrambled to intercept streaked through downtown and those sonic booms had people complaining.
My reaction: "man unveils giant erection to cheering crowd"
Appreciate 0