XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum
 
TireRack





Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Photo/Video/Audio Gallery

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #23
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
Cattivo's Avatar
United_States
631
Rep
2,117
Posts

Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Concrete Jungle

iTrader: (1)

LED's look amazing...how hard would it be to revert back to stock if you decide to sell the truck? did you have to cut and splice any harness wires or is it simply just plug and play? I'm looking into doing this mod in the near future since every aftermarket "LED" lights( LUX V4, Cree, even tried bright white halogen PIAA) I've used so far really don't come close to that OEM look I'm after
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #24
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
igorbmwx6's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
508
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Carlos, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to igorbmwx6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo123 View Post
LED's look amazing...how hard would it be to revert back to stock if you decide to sell the truck? did you have to cut and splice any harness wires or is it simply just plug and play? I'm looking into doing this mod in the near future since every aftermarket "LED" lights( LUX V4, Cree, even tried bright white halogen PIAA) I've used so far really don't come close to that OEM look I'm after
There is no cutting and/or splicing required for this retrofit. All is accomplished with harness, which you can just remove when you want to reverse it back to a factory original. In my case, I plan to keep the car for a while; therefore I am not planning to put the old (original) lights back in. Extremely happy with results of this retrofit and how smoothly it all went. After LED light, I cannot even drive another vehicle at night with xenon yellow lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:11 AM   #25
Flying Ace
Major General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
3392
Rep
9,796
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

The LEDs look so much brighter in person. I like the light temperature
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 05:59 AM   #26
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
Cattivo's Avatar
United_States
631
Rep
2,117
Posts

Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Concrete Jungle

iTrader: (1)

I went by my BMW certified indy shop to find out how much the conversion would cost me and was quoted just over $4k...they said it takes around a month to get the new harness from Germany...I also found out while I was admiring them working on a Lambo, they have a water solution machine so my ugly brown wood trim will soon be either piano black or cf
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:49 AM   #27
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
igorbmwx6's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
508
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Carlos, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to igorbmwx6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo123 View Post
I went by my BMW certified indy shop to find out how much the conversion would cost me and was quoted just over $4k...they said it takes around a month to get the new harness from Germany...I also found out while I was admiring them working on a Lambo, they have a water solution machine so my ugly brown wood trim will soon be either piano black or cf
Piano black is the way to go, that's what I have in my X6M Also, I hope that $4k includes parts and labor, not just labor ...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #28
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
igorbmwx6's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
508
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Carlos, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to igorbmwx6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
The LEDs look so much brighter in person. I like the light temperature
They do look much brighter in person. Drivers in on-coming vehicles think that I have high-beams on, when I do not. They have not seen high-beams yet
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #29
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
Cattivo's Avatar
United_States
631
Rep
2,117
Posts

Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Concrete Jungle

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx6 View Post
Piano black is the way to go, that's what I have in my X6M Also, I hope that $4k includes parts and labor, not just labor ...
Yea the $4k includes all parts and the coding to post 4/11...I would of done this on my own but I don't know coding
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 05:40 PM   #30
BaggedX5
Lieutenant
BaggedX5's Avatar
United Kingdom
135
Rep
408
Posts

Drives: X5m Replica
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx6 View Post
They do look much brighter in person. Drivers in on-coming vehicles think that I have high-beams on, when I do not. They have not seen high-beams yet
I've been followed and had on coming cars with LED headlamps.

I'll be the first here to admit they take the term 'dazzling' to new heights. Not cool for others around you.

Still, I wouldn't say no to having them
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 03:03 PM   #31
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
igorbmwx6's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
508
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Carlos, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to igorbmwx6
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_MSPORT View Post
I've been followed and had on coming cars with LED headlamps.

I'll be the first here to admit they take the term 'dazzling' to new heights. Not cool for others around you.

Still, I wouldn't say no to having them
I guess that it is all a matter of preference. Once you've driven for long periods of time at night with LED headlights, you will never go back to the old yellow Xenons again. If you've never driven with LEDs, then you are fine. "Once you go LED, you don't go back"

Last edited by igorbmwx6; 02-01-2015 at 11:59 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #32
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
igorbmwx6's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
508
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Carlos, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to igorbmwx6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo123 View Post
Yea the $4k includes all parts and the coding to post 4/11...I would of done this on my own but I don't know coding
$4k for parts, installation and coding is very reasonable. Go for it. As I have mentioned earlier, it is all plug and if needed, unplug type of retrofit. Therefore, you will always be able to reverse it and go back to the original lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #33
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
Cattivo's Avatar
United_States
631
Rep
2,117
Posts

Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Concrete Jungle

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx6 View Post
I guess that it is all a matter of preference. Once you've driven for long periods of time at night with LED headlights, you will never go back to the old yellow Xeons again. If you've never driven with LEDs, then you are fine. "Once you go LED, you don't go back"
The main reason I want this mod done is...looks obviously and coming from my 2011 335 with LED headlights its exactly like you said...night time driving with LED's compared to Xenons is literally night and day, the LED's really illuminate the road with true bright white light
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 11:07 AM   #34
BaggedX5
Lieutenant
BaggedX5's Avatar
United Kingdom
135
Rep
408
Posts

Drives: X5m Replica
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

I'm getting tempted to do this retrofit. I've got all the pieces to do X5M front and rear conversion on my X5 35D., will be in the body shop in 2 weeks. My car didn't originally come with Xenon lights (halogen) I've looked up the wiring via WDS and have the wiring figured to retrofit X5M/X6 headlights to my car with bit of coding on the FRM2.

Anyone forsee anything else I would need apart from the list below to retrofit the LED headlamps?

- Left LED light with modules
- Right LED light with modules
- FRM3 module
- Wire harness
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 11:53 PM   #35
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
igorbmwx6's Avatar
United_States
86
Rep
508
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Carlos, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to igorbmwx6
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_MSPORT View Post
I'm getting tempted to do this retrofit. I've got all the pieces to do X5M front and rear conversion on my X5 35D., will be in the body shop in 2 weeks. My car didn't originally come with Xenon lights (halogen) I've looked up the wiring via WDS and have the wiring figured to retrofit X5M/X6 headlights to my car with bit of coding on the FRM2.

Anyone forsee anything else I would need apart from the list below to retrofit the LED headlamps?

- Left LED light with modules
- Right LED light with modules
- FRM3 module
- Wire harness
Other than coding after the physical installation, that is all that you will need to complete this retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 03:51 AM   #36
jiudia
Enlisted Member
China
4
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: X1
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Changzhou

iTrader: (0)

Gorgeous. The headlights are awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #37
PARTS@STBMW
PARTS@STBMW's Avatar
United_States
868
Rep
4,213
Posts

Drives: ALL BMW MODELS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Camarillo, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx6 View Post
Headlights, tail lights, interior lights, license plate lights - all LED now
Perfect, just perfect!
__________________

**PLEASE PROVIDE THE LAST 7 OF YOUR VIN FOR A PRICE QUOTE!**
BRIT@BMWPARTSPROS.COM
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 02:28 AM   #38
gixxerboy63
X5M Pilot
gixxerboy63's Avatar
United_States
634
Rep
1,696
Posts

Drives: F83 M4, G01 X3 M40i, e70 X5M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: WS, GSO High Point, NC

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [5.00]
This is on my to do list.
__________________

2010 X5M Pure Turbos 700hp Beast - (SOLD )
2017 M4 - Mineral White, ZCP, Signature Wheels, H&R, Meistershaft GTC
2018 X3 M40i - Phytonic Blue / Oyster
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 09:18 PM   #39
gixxerboy63
X5M Pilot
gixxerboy63's Avatar
United_States
634
Rep
1,696
Posts

Drives: F83 M4, G01 X3 M40i, e70 X5M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: WS, GSO High Point, NC

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [5.00]
PM sent...

Do the LED headlights on 2013 X5s have the same shape as the 2010 X6M and X5M?
__________________

2010 X5M Pure Turbos 700hp Beast - (SOLD )
2017 M4 - Mineral White, ZCP, Signature Wheels, H&R, Meistershaft GTC
2018 X3 M40i - Phytonic Blue / Oyster
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #40
empwrd
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: 2012 Bmw X5m
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (0)

nope... only x6
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 08:05 PM   #41
gixxerboy63
X5M Pilot
gixxerboy63's Avatar
United_States
634
Rep
1,696
Posts

Drives: F83 M4, G01 X3 M40i, e70 X5M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: WS, GSO High Point, NC

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2010 BMW X5M  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by empwrd View Post
nope... only x6
Are you talking Base X- headlights?

X5M X6M obviously have different fenders than a regular x_ and the headlights are pointed instead of rounded at the fender....

I was just wondering if they all became pointed at some point (no pun intended) in 2013 or 2014?
__________________

2010 X5M Pure Turbos 700hp Beast - (SOLD )
2017 M4 - Mineral White, ZCP, Signature Wheels, H&R, Meistershaft GTC
2018 X3 M40i - Phytonic Blue / Oyster
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 08:54 PM   #42
Kerrazy
Private First Class
4
Rep
149
Posts

Drives: X6M
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Calgary, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Ignore long time no talk to, glad you're enjoying your LED conversion. Once installed with the new upgrade does your auto high beam function work?

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 07:51 AM   #43
HPIA4v2
Major
200
Rep
1,254
Posts

Drives: E60, E71, F80
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington

iTrader: (3)

Igor, I've got question on removing headlights.
you have to take off the front fender right, but to do so do you have to take the running board as well?
Thanks.


The LED headlights look awesome BTW.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #44
Sim-Sima
Wider is Better
3
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: 2007 E70 X5 4.8i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Windermere, FL

iTrader: (0)

Can you please provide link for the wiring harness. I am doing this retrofit on my 2007 E70 4.8I. I already knew about the FRM3 module but didnt know about the LED module. Does that replace amother module, or is that new addition, if so should there be a harness pre-wired? Thanks
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
headlights, led, tail lights, x6m

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST