XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-22-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

P0174 code

My 2012 X5M received this code the other day. I cleared it and it's back today. It's just that code, and reading it can be a lot of things. I've recently put catless DPs on, it's been a couple weeks but I'm sure could be related to that. Anyone have a place to start? O2 sensors, etc?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Google says if you have cats then either vacuum leak or Need new MAF or O2 sensor. Do you have a tune for catless DPs? If no then it is most likely your DPs.
Appreciate 1
9vapors645.50
      10-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Google says if you have cats then either vacuum leak or Need new MAF or O2 sensor. Do you have a tune for catless DPs? If no then it is most likely your DPs.
I have the Velos stage 2+ tune and catless DPs. The car is running fine as far as I can tell, just some small fluctuations in idle.

I just ordered the ptp turbo blanket, so once that gets here I'll take the heat shield off and inspect everything. Hopefully just an o2 sensor... nothing in jumping out at me at initial inspection.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #4
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
I have the Velos stage 2+ tune and catless DPs. The car is running fine as far as I can tell, just some small fluctuations in idle.

I just ordered the ptp turbo blanket, so once that gets here I'll take the heat shield off and inspect everything. Hopefully just an o2 sensor... nothing in jumping out at me at initial inspection.
Gotcha, sorry I’ve been viewing on mobile so can’t see signatures...not sure why I said MAF either since you have an M. Maybe the O2 wire got nicked while tightening it down or not clipped in all the way?
Appreciate 1
9vapors645.50
      10-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
My 2012 X5M received this code the other day. I cleared it and it's back today. It's just that code, and reading it can be a lot of things. I've recently put catless DPs on, it's been a couple weeks but I'm sure could be related to that. Anyone have a place to start? O2 sensors, etc?
Make sure your airbox is connected securely. Then ensure there are no leaks at the dps. Then change the front O2 sensor.
Appreciate 1
9vapors645.50
      10-22-2018, 09:08 PM   #6
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
Quote:
Make sure your airbox is connected securely. Then ensure there are no leaks at the dps. Then change the front O2 sensor.
Air box isn't an issue heh...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where's your MAF sensor? How new/clean are those cones. My brother's M5 had the error until the stock air box was reinstalled. He had the bms cones.
Appreciate 1
9vapors645.50
      10-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #8
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Where's your MAF sensor? How new/clean are those cones. My brother's M5 had the error until the stock air box was reinstalled. He had the bms cones.
They're about 2 months old, basically new since I don't drive the car much. It's an x5M, no MAF sensors. I can try to swap it back and see if it goes away.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #9
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Quote:

Gotcha, sorry I’ve been viewing on mobile so can’t see signatures...not sure why I said MAF either since you have an M. Maybe the O2 wire got nicked while tightening it down or not clipped in all the way?
That's certainly possible... I did the tighten the o2 sensor with them plugged in move and the cable was wound pretty tight, might have damaged one... just strange it's been about a month and now I have a cel.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #10
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Did Velos specifically turn off the secondary O2 sensors in the tune?

If not, that's all this is... I would hit them up and make sure it can and has been done.
Appreciate 1
9vapors645.50
      10-22-2018, 10:49 PM   #11
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
Did Velos specifically turn off the secondary O2 sensors in the tune?

If not, that's all this is... I would hit them up and make sure it can and has been done.
Thanks man, sent them an email...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #12
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
They're about 2 months old, basically new since I don't drive the car much. It's an x5M, no MAF sensors. I can try to swap it back and see if it goes away.
Ha iv'e never see that on a BMW. The M5 has a MAF sensor but now that you guys say that i remember pulling my air boxes off with no sensor. Maybe he damaged on of the O2 sensors, this happened to me when I did my downpipes. I have a Velos tune as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 07:28 PM   #13
9vapors
Major
Rep

Omar doesn't think it has anything to do with the tune. Seems to think it's hardware related. He never said that he checked and made sure that he did the O2 sensor delete... so when I put my turbo blanket on this weekend, I'll check things for anything physical.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #14
9vapors
Major
Rep

Still have the code. Took my front O2 sensors off during my ptp turbo blanket install today... they looked ok, but they were pretty white chalky... assuming that was because I over did the anti seize I put on them. Might have messed up one of the sensors... Anyone know if it's true that the Velos tune turns off the rear ones?

More pics of the car and blanket in my journal/pic thread...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 10:18 PM   #15
9vapors
Major
Rep

Just a heads up, this turned out to be an exhaust leak at the bottom of the downpipes. On both sides, I had openings at the connection flanges. Somehow when I installed the downpipes, I tightened them, but the bolts I had welded into the downpipes had too long of a space without threads if that makes sense. The issue then arose when they settled into place and space was left open between the threads and the downpipe flange. Anyway, the space was so large on one side that my brand new gasket actually flew out. The other side was lodged in the exhaust pipe. I am looking to replace the downpipes as these didn't fit well, and basically had to be forced in place.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 06:03 PM   #16
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
What brand of down pipes did you use, so people know to steer away from them?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 07:02 PM   #17
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobacs View Post
What brand of down pipes did you use, so people know to steer away from them?
VRSF... that's what I get for skimping and thinking geez, they're just two pipes...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #18
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

Garage List
Quote:
VRSF... that's what I get for skimping and thinking geez, they're just two pipes...
I've read that others have used the VRSF without issue. I think you toyed with longer bolts, correct? Would you think this contributed to the gap/failure?

Just trying to educate myself for when I do mine. Thx
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #19
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbimma View Post
Quote:
I've read that others have used the VRSF without issue. I think you toyed with longer bolts, correct? Would you think this contributed to the gap/failure?

Just trying to educate myself for when I do mine. Thx
Yep, use shorter bolts that are threaded all the way up. Plus make sure they are welded in straight... needless to say, mines weren't. Here's a pic for ref.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #20
RichardH
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X5M

I'm glad you issue is sorted, I'm still trying to understand how you got a lean code even though the leak was after the lambda sensor?
Battling with a similar issue on Bank 1 only.
Goes completely lean in closed loop then eventually changes to closed loop.
AFR dont go less than 13.5 even under boost.
Any suggestions tried about everything
Error code is 2C24
Means lambdas swopped

Last edited by RichardH; 02-14-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #21
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
I'm glad you issue is sorted, I'm still trying to understand how you got a lean code even though the leak was after the lambda sensor?
Battling with a similar issue on Bank 1 only.
Goes completely lean in closed loop then eventually changes to closed loop.
AFR dont go less than 13.5 even under boost.
Any suggestions tried about everything
Error code is 2C24
Means lambdas swopped
Yeah, I don't understand it either, but I can tell you now that the exhaust leak has been fixed, the CEL has not come back. I only had it on the one bank too, really strange because it's usually followed by several other codes.

I saw someone else had the same code as you and found that his injector plugs were swapped on 3&4... I would imagine it's something like that. You can also try to swap the o2 sensors and see if the issue shows up on the other bank now and you'll know it's that.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 01:30 PM   #22
RichardH
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Yeah, I don't understand it either, but I can tell you now that the exhaust leak has been fixed, the CEL has not come back. I only had it on the one bank too, really strange because it's usually followed by several other codes.

I saw someone else had the same code as you and found that his injector plugs were swapped on 3&4... I would imagine it's something like that. You can also try to swap the o2 sensors and see if the issue shows up on the other bank now and you'll know it's that.
I have tried swopping the sensors and the error goes away. But the fuel mixture is not right. But it does run in closed loop.
Appreciate 0