XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-01-2021, 08:41 AM   #1
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
CEL for coolant pump fault

SO, I have the X5M in an independent shop for the first time ever since buying it a little over 2 years ago and approximately 15K miles of driving fun. The rear air suspension bags are leaking/frayed, going to have my transfer case oil replaced, coolant expansion tank leaking (again after replacing one year or so ago using Hella brand). I was also told my battery was NOT registered when replaced 3 years ago at BMW San Diego and my turbo coolant pump is showing a fault.

Questions: How do you determine if the battery is registered or not. It seems like a nil chance to me that BMW San Diego did not register the battery when they installed it and the maintenance records state they were replaced and registered. Second, I had no CEL's whatsoever when I brought in the vehicle initially, specifically for the coolant leak and rear suspension. Would not the faulty turbo coolant pump trigger a CEL?

Using my Red Shield exclusionary warranty for the first time. They are sending an adjuster and let's see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Most BMW specific codes won't trigger a CEL unless it also violates standard OBII emissions codes. The only way to even know you have a BMW code thrown is to have scanner that can read BMW codes like the foxwell nt510 or ISTA on a laptop. Either will also give you details on last battery registration.

There is an open recall on the turbo water pumps for all n63/s63's. Jump on the bmw recall webpage and type in your vin and see if yours is included.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 09:53 AM   #3
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
The "electronic auxiliary water pump" was replaced on the recall almost 3 years/18K miles ago. Zero open recalls, they all have been done, i.e. injectors, driveshaft, airbags etc.

They say it is the turbo coolant pump that is faulty, which I see listed as a separate part from the auxiliary water pump at the FCP Euro website.

I already ordered a scanner, which cost less than the charge for a registration.
Appreciate 0