XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-19-2019, 06:39 AM   #45
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Ahh, yes, the red headed step child of the M3's. It makes me laugh to read comments from people who have never driven one or owned one. That the 335 is a better car! That's a funny one.

After owning my e92 M3 for several years, I felt it was time to look at a 1st or 2nd gen M3. I knew someone who had an e30 and I drove it a couple of times. I was not blown away by the experience and the prices were too ridiculous. The e36's were affordable, a step up in power, and were easy to work on. I was lucky to find one that was unmodded and under 80k miles. The person put $7k into the car in less than a year, but was an Audi guy and really wanted a TT. I pretty much stole it from him. I loved the car from the first drive. So much lighter and more nimble than the e92 due to the significant weigh reduction. Within 6 months, I sold my e92. It wasn't being driven much because I preferred the e36. This is coming from someone who did a lot to the e92 and praised it everyday. Yes, we didn't get the engine that Europe got, but at 3100 lbs, the S52 has plenty of power. 3rd gear on this car feels like a turbo engine. Don't be fooled by the 245hp number.

You would be hard pressed to find any car new or used under $13k that handles and performs better than an e36 M3. I have really gotten spoiled by the older, analog driving M cars vs. the more modern electronically controlled versions. It's the same reason I bought an e39. As others have mentioned, I would try to look for a '97-'99. There were more improvements done compared to the earlier models. Spend more time on M3forums.net. They are a lot of great owners on there who know these cars inside and out. You won't be sorry if you buy one. It still puts a smile on my face everyday. Especially, taking exit ramps at 80+ mph's with my PS4's on and having the car planted throughout the whole turn! Good luck with your search.
Nice choices! I'd say the E36 and E39 are great combos!

I've actually come to the realization that those older crops of M's are the most satisfying. My cut off is essentially at the E92 M3.

I'm in fact content enough with what I have that I just put down a deposit for a 2016 Tundra to use as my DD and workhorse. The saying they don't make them like they used to definitely stands.

I think the golden era of cars, at least for me personally ended with cars designed in the early 2000s.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
Haywood3098.50
      07-19-2019, 07:20 PM   #46
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Luckily my wife doesnt care to look at forums so....

s50B30US SWAP - DROPPED VALVE 3 YRS IN
S52B32US SWAP WITH ZF320 DRIVETRAIN
UUC STAGE 3 CLUTCH/FLYWHEEL
UUC STAGE 3 SSK
DR VANOS UPGRADED VANOS/GEARS/CHAIN
3.15 TORSEN REAR END
CUSTOM FRONT AND REAR SUBFRAMES
FULL POLY BUSHINGS THROUGHOUT
4TH ITERATION OF EXHAUST SYSTEM ON CAR
ZENDER NLA FRONT AND SIDE BODY KIT
APR CF FRONT SPLITTER
HELLA COLORLINE HEADLIGHTS
MHW TAILLIGHTS
CF AC SCHNITZER MIRROR REPRODUCTIONS
CF HOOD
CF TRUNK
AKG DTM MONO-WIPER CONVERSION
FACELIFT BUMPER CONVERSION
FULL PAINT CHANGE TO STERLING GRAU METALLIC
E30 M3 5-LUG
STOPTECH E30 M3 BBK
SPEC E30 BILSTEIN/H&R/GROUND CONTROL SETUP
RECARO SR3
AUTOPOWER ROLL BAR
FULL CUSTOM STEREO
REWIRE DOOR LOCK SYSTEM TO INTEGRATE KEYLESS PROPERLY
BBS RZ 17X8.5 ET13
BBS CH 17X8.5 ET15

Plus alotta small stuff everywhere, and a pile of parts that havent touched the car yet. this is with me doing all work myself as well....

i need to see this car. Pic?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #47
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
California premium parts tax.....also that cost is over 16years of ownership, i cant list every nut, bolt, washer, body trim, etc would take forever. You have e30 m3 5 lug as well?

paint i had done at a body shop before i was in the industry, cost me $3k not including body repairs and replacement fenders/valence/windshield/bumpers.

EDIT: nice build thread on r3v, i havent been on that forum much in the last 5 years, but i was super active back in the days.
Ahh missed that yours was an M3, mine was a 325is so that had a lower starting point.

Plus if you did your swap a while ago the prices were higher, nice build!
      07-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #48
lennyf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Remember,
They're always selling it for a reason.........
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 10:22 PM   #49
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Its a money pit.

BE prepared to replace the RTABs
Early 95' builds had valve spring retainers that were "weak".
Cooling system conversion/upgrade (water wetter/fan clutch delete/t-stat upgrade if you plan to actually DRIVE) the car.
Engine mounts are probably shot.
Check F&R upper struts.. rears for clunks and fronts for new welds.
Check the guibo; for chunks missing.
Pull the rear taillights and check for rust.
PS pump is line is absolutely sweating or leaking.
I had one.
Turner stage 3 kit; cams w/injectors and headers.
Evey older ///M3 has issues. I am convinced its part of their character. Sort of love hate.

The game changer is when BMW converted to electric fans.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00