XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #67
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Perfect. Sorry for the earlier confusion.
My airbags went out in the rear, lol. so, looks like from this discussion h&R 2" is the way to go? Easy to DIY? Or, go the route of a shop? The stealership quoted $1600 just to replace one airbag. So, could I avoid replacing the bags, and just get the H&R kit installed? when I park it for like an hour, the air has leaked out, and the right rear, and sometimes left are like all the way down, looks cool, at least on the rear.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 08:55 AM   #68
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
My airbags went out in the rear, lol. so, looks like from this discussion h&R 2" is the way to go? Easy to DIY? Or, go the route of a shop? The stealership quoted $1600 just to replace one airbag. So, could I avoid replacing the bags, and just get the H&R kit installed? when I park it for like an hour, the air has leaked out, and the right rear, and sometimes left are like all the way down, looks cool, at least on the rear.
You use to get new airbags and ARNOTT are great. Also the 2" H&R kit is a very stiff ride. The 1.2" kit is like an OE+ ride. KW V3 another world good.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #69
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris604 View Post
No no, the H&R 1.3" & 2" kits are nothing more than a spring in the front and lowering links in the rear, so ultimately you still need functioning airbags. The $$KW V3$$ is the only one that replaces everything all around with a coilover. I ran BC Racing coilovers on my E53 and they were great (I could adjust them to be soft for daily use or stiffen them for the 3x it went to Bimmerfest and whatever random weekend events I went to) but it seems they only make them for the 3.5 and 5.0 trucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #70
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
You use to get new airbags and ARNOTT are great. Also the 2" H&R kit is a very stiff ride. The 1.2" kit is like an OE+ ride. KW V3 another world good.
It's been well documented that a stiff ride in this is due to lowering the rear too much, which I made the mistake of doing. Raise it up until the truck has just a hair of forward rake and it'll ride better than stock. The only downside is it can show a lot of rebound going fast over speedbumps but people shouldn't be doing that anyways...that's what mom's in minivans do. Unless the buyers X5 is spending every weekend at the track, a stance bro to slam it, or they're looking to prove they're willing to throw away money; the KW is stupid money for daily use.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #71
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
No no, the H&R 1.3" & 2" kits are nothing more than a spring in the front and lowering links in the rear, so ultimately you still need functioning airbags. The $$KW V3$$ is the only one that replaces everything all around with a coilover. I ran BC Racing coilovers on my E53 and they were great (I could adjust them to be soft for daily use or stiffen them for the 3x it went to Bimmerfest and whatever random weekend events I went to) but it seems they only make them for the 3.5 and 5.0 trucks.
Ah OK, thanks. So, this should work then?: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...self-leveling/

I think the springs would be a tad difficult to install, tho right? I mean you would have to compress them to take them out or so I've heard. The rear is just the links, so doesn't seem that bad.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #72
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Fairly straight foreward...rent a spring compressor, swap springs, reinstall. Rear you just swap the links and then keep adjusting until it has a slight forward rake. Don't mind the driveway pic, that's WAY too much rake due to the angle of the driveway.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #73
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Fairly straight foreward...rent a spring compressor, swap springs, reinstall. Rear you just swap the links and then keep adjusting until it has a slight forward rake. Don't mind the driveway pic, that's WAY too much rake due to the angle of the driveway.
OK. Cool. looks great! It also says 2" lower in front and one in rear, and wondering what that would look like!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:45 PM   #74
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

You'll see you've already got some rake if you measure from the ground to the fender, so you'll just wanna maintain at least some of that rake. If it gets too bouncy, raise the back up as needed until it goes away. I'd say my fender gaps are pretty damn even.
Appreciate 0