XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #1
Stoshmiester
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M, 2008 E60 M5

Hi all,

I thought I would post some of my experience with the Velos Stage 2 tune install and initial driving impressions. As background I am very new to performance tuning and must admit was a skeptic. Like many I wanted to improve my seat of the pants feel but really wanted to understand what I was getting into before taking the leap. I did not want to sacrifice drivability. As back ground I have owned a few different older muscle cars. Am use to many hours of changing cam shafts, carbs, port and polishing heads, rearend gear changes ect to optimize and achieve desired performance results. I should also add a few skinned knuckles is par for the course as well!

After several days/hours of researching tuning options via Google and many blogs I gave Velos Design works a call. I initially spoke with Stephen and followed up with several posts as well as follow up calls with Omar. I have to say both were extremely patient with my Q&A. Omar especially, very detailed in his responses and really helped me understand the process and set expectations.

I ordered the tuner about 2 weeks ago and just got around to finishing the upload. tuner came with easy to follow instructions, very important step is the battery stabilizer. Download of OEM file took about 1 hr. sent the file in about 48hrs later tune arrived. upload was much faster took about 30 min. Omar set expectations regarding failure codes would be thrown during the process including pumps kicking in and off was perfectly normal. I was fortunate that no codes stays post upload. I still cycled the engine 5-6 times and then took car for a 5+mile drive as outlined.

let's just say "Holy cow Batman"! I am very pleased with the results. Not only did the whole process meet exceed my expectations Inhave a new found appreciation for tuning capabilities with these M cars. listed below is my initial baseline numbers I took more tune using my newly installed P3 Gauge. I also posted a pick if post tune results. will keep posting updates as the tune continues to settle in but thus far extremely impressed. I own mid to low 12 sec Pontiac and no doubt I can smoke it with the M now.

0-60 B4 Tune
1st run with M mode No launch = 4.08
2nd run w/ launch controll = 3.9

0-60 after tune (raining)
1st run without M no launch = 3.9
2nd Run with M no launch = 3.71
3rd Run with M and Launch = x.xx?

will try again in better weather..so far very impressed!

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 02:57 AM   #2
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Great review. Thanks for posting.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:59 PM   #3
Stoshmiester
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Great review. Thanks for posting.
quick update just did a few uodated passes 0-100 8.83 seconds,

best 0-60 with launch 3.6..not bad for 5300lb brick!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

if you can try 0-200kmh it can be nice.. wondering about the difference over 16.6s.. there are vids on web but another example can be nice..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #5
Stoshmiester
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
if you can try 0-200kmh it can be nice.. wondering about the difference over 16.6s.. there are vids on web but another example can be nice..
Will definitely have to record some times later this summer at the track.
Appreciate 0