XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #1
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Model year 2009 loses spare tire

Read this on another forum. I am glad I got an 08. I will never buy another car without a spare as it forces you to stick with run flats or waste cargo room holding a spare and junk. BMW made sure on the 6 series that the trunk area under the carpet was full of electronic crap so no spare would fit.

The following equipment is being deleted from the standard equipment profile as of Model Year 2009:

Logic 7 Sound System on all 335i and 335xi
First Aid Kit on the 5 and 6 Series
Space Saver spare on the X5 and X6
Rear self leveling suspension on the X5 xDrive48i without 3rd row seats

I wonder if they will still leave room for the tire and jack?

Last edited by chuck92103; 11-14-2008 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

that sucks!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Yes you are right, I picked up a 2009 X6 Wednesday and there is no spare. There is lots of storage under the hatch. Finished off beautifully. There are 4 molded spots in the liner for the holdown "sliding cars" when not in use.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

so does this mean they are going to have just run flats with no spare ?
Even though I have RFs I don't view the spare stuck under my rear floor as a space saver but I guess that's in definition.

Last edited by dmlgc; 11-15-2008 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: spell
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 12:29 AM   #5
LeMansM5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bak View Post
Yes you are right, I picked up a 2009 X6 Wednesday and there is no spare. There is lots of storage under the hatch. Finished off beautifully. There are 4 molded spots in the liner for the holdown "sliding cars" when not in use.
Can you please post pics of new storage area in trunk?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansM5 View Post
Can you please post pics of new storage area in trunk?
+1!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

Pictures of spare tire storage space and trailer hitch on the way, forgot my camera.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
billysims
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Funny, I had lojack installed today in my new x6 (picked up a week ago), and had to go into the trunk, and was wondering where the spare was. Didnt give it much thought as it was raining out & had to let the lojack guy do his thing. Then I log on and see this....

My BMW salesman couldve/shouldve explained this but did not go over much of anything about the car with me upon delivery. This guy blows!

If you're in NJ, do not buy a car from JMK BMW in Springfield. I'm very happy wih my car but the process was not positive for many reasons.....
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
chuck92103
Major
Rep

I am attaching the BMW 2009 bulletin.

Apparently you can still buy the spare tire as a stand alone option. Something to consider if you did not get one or plan to order an X5/6.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2009-pricing-revised.pdf (80.1 KB, 692 views)
      11-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Honestly, for me, I am glad I am not lugging around a spare tire all the time. Last time I had a tire issue must have been a good 12+ years ago and even then it was a really slow leak and I didn't have to use the spare either. I don't see the point of having a spare if you have run flat tires. Kind of defeats the purpose of run flat tires... Besides, if you do have an issue with the tires, you could also contact BMW road side assistance!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Honestly, for me, I am glad I am not lugging around a spare tire all the time. Last time I had a tire issue must have been a good 12+ years ago and even then it was a really slow leak and I didn't have to use the spare either. I don't see the point of having a spare if you have run flat tires. Kind of defeats the purpose of run flat tires... Besides, if you do have an issue with the tires, you could also contact BMW road side assistance!
The issue with run flats is simple. BMW tire sizes are not typically stocked locally by anyone except a dealer. You can only drive on a run flat for 50 miles or so before it is ruined. If you get a flat and go to discount tire, if you are luck, they can get a tire in a few days. what do you do in the interim?

I would rather get a flat, pull over and put on the spare and have the run flat repaired then spend $500 on a new tire.

Run flats are nice as you don't have to panic and pull off the free way in a hurry especially at night or in cold weather. But I like the added security of a spare. If you go on a long road trip to the mountains there won't be anyone around with a spare tire. Roadside assistance only tows you within 50-100 miles of a dealer. A lot of issues folks need to think about.
      11-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #12
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
The issue with run flats is simple. BMW tire sizes are not typically stocked locally by anyone except a dealer. You can only drive on a run flat for 50 miles or so before it is ruined. If you get a flat and go to discount tire, if you are luck, they can get a tire in a few days. what do you do in the interim?

I would rather get a flat, pull over and put on the spare and have the run flat repaired then spend $500 on a new tire.

Run flats are nice as you don't have to panic and pull off the free way in a hurry especially at night or in cold weather. But I like the added security of a spare. If you go on a long road trip to the mountains there won't be anyone around with a spare tire. Roadside assistance only tows you within 50-100 miles of a dealer. A lot of issues folks need to think about.
I agree with you that there are things you need to consider and potentially plan for on long far away trips with no spare tire.

But honestly, how often do you really do that kind of thing compared to just driving around all the time with a spare tire that takes away cargo space and adds weight to the car (which in the end costs you more money by using up more gas!) ?

In regards to getting tires replaced, I never go to discount places to get my tires changed. I know a lot of folks do, I don't. I always go to the dealership I purchased my car from. I know it costs more, but I know that if I ever have an issue with the tires, I know EXACTLY who I have to talk to to get things straighten out! Besides, I don't think that BMW's tire protection warranty covers tires put on by others or brands that they do not install themselves?!?

Some of my neighbors go and get their cars serviced or tires changed by some local discount shops... They all have some sort of horror story to tell of what happened or what else they broke on the car while fixing something else. For those that don't care about these things and can save a few bucks, go right ahead. For me, I don't think it's worth the headaches and potential issues...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
I agree with you that there are things you need to consider and potentially plan for on long far away trips with no spare tire.

But honestly, how often do you really do that kind of thing compared to just driving around all the time with a spare tire that takes away cargo space and adds weight to the car (which in the end costs you more money by using up more gas!) ?

In regards to getting tires replaced, I never go to discount places to get my tires changed. I know a lot of folks do, I don't. I always go to the dealership I purchased my car from. I know it costs more, but I know that if I ever have an issue with the tires, I know EXACTLY who I have to talk to to get things straighten out! Besides, I don't think that BMW's tire protection warranty covers tires put on by others or brands that they do not install themselves?!?

Some of my neighbors go and get their cars serviced or tires changed by some local discount shops... They all have some sort of horror story to tell of what happened or what else they broke on the car while fixing something else. For those that don't care about these things and can save a few bucks, go right ahead. For me, I don't think it's worth the headaches and potential issues...

You make good points but the weight and cargo area arguments don't fly.

1. If people really cared about weight and MPG on a BMW, they would not be running 20,21,22" wheels and tires which weigh more, have more road resistance, and eat more gas.

2. Unlike some SUVs where the spare tire takes up room in the cargo area, the spare on the X6 is hidden under the cargo area in aplace you would not store anything anyway.

Wait until you have more time with run flats, or read many of the horror stories. You may change your mind. The X6 tires cannot be had at the corner gas station.
      11-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #14
blanka
United_States
Rep
Drives: x6 35i

Thumbs up

I agree with you Chuck
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 09:54 PM   #15
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

What amazes me is the fact that people are willing to pay more for less.
2009 goes for $3k more, and you will now be required to pay an additional $300 for a spare.
I do not buy this RTF crap, and that is why I carry a spare for my 3 series and the X5.
Like others have pointed out, it is not an interesting prospect when you are travelling and end up with a flat.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #16
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I use the space that the spare tire normally occupies ALL the time. Almost every single day!

I especially use it when we go grocery shopping. It's an excellent place to store fragile stuff in...

Anyway, to everyone his own... For me, I have not had the need for a spare tire in the past 20+ years. So I for one am glad to have run-flat-tires and will never switch back to standard tires. I believe that more and more cars and manufacturers will go this route and in the future, you will see fewer cars with standard tires. I don't think they will ever be completely replaced, but you will see more of the RFT on the streets and they will be more readily available.
Appreciate 0