XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
AC997T
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Just picked up 50i

Hello everyone! Just picked up the 50i. She's white with tan leather and has every options (dealer forgot to give me the iPod Y cable).

Wife saw the car and is in love with it. Was going to get black initially but ended up buying white after a phone call with the wife. Decided she can have it since she wasn't happy with her GL550...her complaint "it doesn't drive like a BMW"...LOL

X drives very smoothly and the V8 has great midrange power. Exhaust note sounds great!

Are there any tuners that have successfully chipped a V8TT yet? Can I assume that if I change the exhaust I should gain some more power? I don't want to go overboard on the X6 as I normally do with my cars since this is the wifey's car now. Plus, she always complains whenever I do something to my cars. So, I figred chip and exhaust if available and she won't really notice.

I checked the usual suspects, Hartge, Hamann, and ACS and none seem to have a V8 package yet. Are there any tuners out there that any of you know of that have a V8 program?

Oh, I do believe that the X6s are easier to get now due to the economy but man they would not budge off MSRP. My dealer had 3 white 50i and was going to trade another dealer for a black 50i since that's what I wanted originally, so I do think they're out there but I think MSRP is where it seems to stand, at least in the Washington DC area.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 02:00 AM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Congrats and welcome...post some pics!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
drrosnrosn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ordered BMW X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Congrats and welcome...post some pics!
+1

To my knowledge Dinan is still looking for a 50i to tune - would need it for 4-6 weeks. You can find the information in one of the posts below. Otherwise I haven't heard of any companies actively tuning the TTV8 although I'm sure it's there.

I think you're right with availability. There are cars out there to be had and demand has softened up a bit, but you have to do some leg work. I think dealers may have to budge off MSRP within the next few months but they're trying hard not to for now. I'm getting about 4% off my 35i but I ordered roughly 4 mo. ago. Should go into production in 2 weeks w/ delivery in 3! Very excited!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Congratulations, you will love the X6. After you get comfortable with it go throw it around on some twisties. The handling is really amazing for a car this size.

11-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Wow, an X6 is quite a change from a GL550. Room, handling, etc.

Congrats!
      11-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC997T View Post
Wife saw the car and is in love with it. Was going to get black initially but ended up buying white after a phone call with the wife. Decided she can have it since she wasn't happy with her GL550...her complaint "it doesn't drive like a BMW"...LOL

I checked the usual suspects, Hartge, Hamann, and ACS and none seem to have a V8 package yet. Are there any tuners out there that any of you know of that have a V8 program?
Body-on-frame GL550 is hardly what you would buy if you wanted it to drive like a BMW! The new ML550 drives like a BMW, albeit not like an X6.

Dinan and Vishnu Tuning are both known to be working on chips for the 50i. Keep checking with their websites. Also, be aware that BMW can now tell if you have had your engine chipped even if you remove the device before going to the dealer. Although there is no evidence that chipping is particularly risky, you can kiss your engine and powertrain warranty goodbye if you do it. I sure wouldn't want to be one of the first to do it as the 50i engine has hugely complex software and a whole bunch of innovative features that may or may not be affected by extra boost.

Enjoy the X6, underpowered as it may be...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
Body-on-frame GL550 is hardly what you would buy if you wanted it to drive like a BMW! The new ML550 drives like a BMW, albeit not like an X6.

Dinan and Vishnu Tuning are both known to be working on chips for the 50i. Keep checking with their websites. Also, be aware that BMW can now tell if you have had your engine chipped even if you remove the device before going to the dealer. Although there is no evidence that chipping is particularly risky, you can kiss your engine and powertrain warranty goodbye if you do it. I sure wouldn't want to be one of the first to do it as the 50i engine has hugely complex software and a whole bunch of innovative features that may or may not be affected by extra boost.

Enjoy the X6, underpowered as it may be...
Yes... only a lousy 400bhp and measly 450lb-ft of torque ... what was BMW thinking...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #8
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrosnrosn View Post
+1

To my knowledge Dinan is still looking for a 50i to tune - would need it for 4-6 weeks. You can find the information in one of the posts below. Otherwise I haven't heard of any companies actively tuning the TTV8 although I'm sure it's there.
Dinan actually prefers to have the vehicle located in CA. They will most likely be the first group to have the tune out and probably the only way to go with a vehicle this complex because of the warranty they offer. No other groups offer a warranty. I have sent Shiv at Vishnu tuning several IMs about the availability of them coming out with a tune but he is not very good at returning IM. Not sure when their tune will be available.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
AC997T
Registered
Rep

Thanks everyone. We picked up the X on Wed evening and it's been raining here in DC area ever since. I'll try to get some pics this weekend as it's suppose to clear up.

The GL was a replacement for the Escallade. She really wanted the new 7er coming out but couldn't wait til March. She loved her 750 but we needed a bigger vehicle as our 2nd child was born and it was hard to get him in and out of the 7er so wife opted for Cady, again for the 3rd time...doh!! We got rid of the Caddy because gas was like $4 per gallon and she drives A LOT. So the GL, albeit no slouch on gas either, was getting better mileage and she picked it because of the 3rd row seats. She test drove the S63 (I was really pushing for it) but said the car felt too big for a sedan and she didn't want me to have to spen $140K (oh how nice of her...LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
AC997T
Registered
Rep

I had the X all day today, granted it was in the rain, I'm amazed at well balanced the vehicle is for its size, even in the wet. The iPod integration is cool. I was telling my sales rep that it was broken because I was getting no sound but I could see the playlist, etc. I drive all the way over there only to find out you have to use both plugs...DOH!!! I guess I should RTFM The backup camera however is pretty lame, it's like they used an 8 year old phone camera, the clarity is horrible, not like Lexus or Caddy.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 04:11 AM   #11
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

nice...
Appreciate 0