XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-29-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
RSeccombe
Rep
Drives: X5 shopping

Question about Sport Package and Purchasing Advise

Hi Everyone,
I'm in the market for an X5 E70. I've had BMW's in the past but never an X5. I can't stand the looks of the 2014 + models so I'm staying within the '06-'13 model years.

Here are my questions:

I love the look of the wider rear rims and tires but only see them on the V8's. Were they available on the 6 cylinder models? Does one with a Sport's Package automatically get you the bigger rims and tires?

My mechanic has advised me to stay with a 6 cylinder car with respect to reliability and cost of repairs. Are the 6's a better way to go?

Of the E70 model years is there a year that's better than the others or a year to stay away from?

Thanks very much,
Richard
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Hi Richard. Welcome to the forum. What your’re looking for is what I have: a 35i with the Sport Activity package. Do a search on the forum, but it includes 20 inch wheels and fender flares, among other stuff (black trim, sports steering wheel, sports seats, etc.). Unfortunately, they are not nearly as common as the other trim levels. Mine’s an ‘11, and it’s been bulletproof.

Last edited by Poppyboy; 08-29-2018 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Wheels- Staggered wheels were available on the 6 cyl models. M-Sport package came with 20x10/11. I believe the SAV model came with bigger wheels but they werent staggered. Someone will have to double check that.

Consensus here is that the 6 cyl model is cheaper to maintain.

In 2011, the E70 got the facelift, so I would look at 2012 and 2013 models. Better headlights, better stereo, more options, etc.. These will also have less mileage so you will most likely avoid any major problems right away.
      08-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
RSeccombe
Rep

Thanks very much for the information.

I was able to find a site where you load in the last 7 digits of the VIN number and it spits out all of the options the car originally came with. I've used this a lot in my searching because there were a LOT of options and a bunch of both dealers and private parties aren't as up to speed with what their car has as they should be.

I find the option "Sports Package" but haven't seen "Sports Activity Package" and I've seen some cars where the VIN number says that they have a Sports Package but I don't see the larger wheels or fender flares.

I'd really like to find what you have Poppyboy.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
RSeccombe
Rep

It looks like the Sport Activity Package wasn't available until 2011. You guys probably already knew this based on the replies

Was there an equivalent for 2006 -2010 with a 6 cylinder engine or did you have to buy an 8?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSeccombe View Post
Hi Everyone,
I'm in the market for an X5 E70. I've had BMW's in the past but never an X5. I can't stand the looks of the 2014 + models so I'm staying within the '06-'13 model years.

Here are my questions:

I love the look of the wider rear rims and tires but only see them on the V8's. Were they available on the 6 cylinder models? Does one with a Sport's Package automatically get you the bigger rims and tires?

My mechanic has advised me to stay with a 6 cylinder car with respect to reliability and cost of repairs. Are the 6's a better way to go?

Of the E70 model years is there a year that's better than the others or a year to stay away from?

Thanks very much,
Richard
You can definitely get the wider wheels (OEM 20" is what you're likely referring to) with the inline 6 models, especially in the LCI years (2011-2013). On the pre-LCI models, I think the 20's we're only available on the 48i (V8) Sport Package?

On the LCI models, 35i, 35d, and 50i, you could get the 20 inch wheels, but this required either the Sport or M Sport package, and in most cases 19's we're standard, with 20's optional for an additional cost. So when you're searching not all Sport and M Sport models will have 20's, thought a bigger % will. BTW, no M Sport on the 35d for the E70 generation.

The 20's are staggered in every application - style 214 (35i & 35d Sport), 336 (50i Sport), and 333M (35i & 50i M Sport). 10 inches in front, 11 in rear.

I'm partial to the LCI years - you get the updated engines, updated 8 speed transmissions in the 35i and 50i (vs. 6 speed in the pre-LCI models), bumpers look more modern as they're body colored, etc. As someone else mentioned above, 2012 & 2013 are even better - updated LED coronas, better base stereo in the 35i, better/updated package configurations, etc.

The inline 6 is the favorite for those seeking the least amount of maintenance. If you covet a powerful SUV, the 50i is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks very much for the information.

I was able to find a site where you load in the last 7 digits of the VIN number and it spits out all of the options the car originally came with. I've used this a lot in my searching because there were a LOT of options and a bunch of both dealers and private parties aren't as up to speed with what their car has as they should be.

I find the option "Sports Package" but haven't seen "Sports Activity Package" and I've seen some cars where the VIN number says that they have a Sports Package but I don't see the larger wheels or fender flares.

I'd really like to find what you have Poppyboy.
Good job getting familiar with the VIN decoder, that'll be a good friend if you really want to know X5 vehicle packages/options. Much of what you see in there is standard equipment, but all the optional stuff will be listed there too, it's just knowing which is which, and which optional stuff gives away the packages it came with (the decoder will never read like the window sticker, for example 'Cold Weather Package' - you need to know what options comprise that package, that is what the decoder will show in most cases). And yes, don't trust most sellers on options, most will say 'it's fully loaded' not knowing how much optional equipment was truly available.

Sport Activity Package is a basically a trim package (like base, premium, or M Sport) - therefore you'll just see 'Sport Package' in the decoder. The wheel style will be listed in the decoder, but it won't tell you the size so you just need to know what styles are 19" and which are 20." I'll list those below off the top of my head. The fender flares will not show up in the decoder. Some components of the packages will, but not all.

Wheel style will depend on model - Sport or M Sport, but for simplicity the 19" wheel styles were 335 and 223. If you want 20 inch wheels, you want style 214, 336, or 333.

There's no shortage of Sport and M Sport models available. Especially in CA where you live.

Last edited by jiggz; 08-29-2018 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 01:53 PM   #8
RSeccombe
Rep

Thank you very much! That's a load of great information. I had noticed that the decoder didn't show the "Packages" so I'm going to have to build a package decoder from the individual components in that package.
Thank you also for the wheel information.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #9
bandwagn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
2010 X6M  [0.00]
2006 330Cic  [0.00]
The 35i/35d is probably the way to from a reliability standpoint. If you want a V8, skip the N63 (50i) and go with the S63 (X5M) - it's still going to be more expensive to maintain, but worth the extra - and you don't have to fret about sport package or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much! That's a load of great information. I had noticed that the decoder didn't show the "Packages" so I'm going to have to build a package decoder from the individual components in that package.
Thank you also for the wheel information.
If you go to http://cpo.bmwusa.com and filter on what you're looking for (model/year), this site will give you the breakdown on what's in each package. The only downside is, not as many E70's listed here anymore vs. the F15 generation. Package configurations may change by year as well. And note, the 35i has the Convenience Package while the 50i has the Premium Package - they're mostly the same.

If you open this link and click on the 'Options & Packages' tab you'll see what I'm referring to. Each of those individual parts of the package is what to look for in the decoder.

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/used/2012-BMW-...2319?zip=98028
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 03:28 PM   #11
ryansbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M-Sport, 2010 535x

Good luck in your search. There are a ton of different options and combination of packages with this car. Most of the time, the seller (excluding enthusiasts here) has no real idea what they are talking about when it comes to describing the packages so you will have use the vin decoder to really nail down the facts. It took me a while to find exactly what I was looking for but just stick with it.
      08-29-2018, 03:57 PM   #12
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
Good luck in your search. There are a ton of different options and combination of packages with this car. Most of the time, the seller (excluding enthusiasts here) has no real idea what they are talking about when it comes to describing the packages so you will have use the vin decoder to really nail down the facts. It took me a while to find exactly what I was looking for but just stick with it.
Solid advice!

Or RSeccombe, you can always post the last 7 of a VIN here and someone can help you out if you're unsure.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 06:58 PM   #13
RSeccombe
Rep

Thanks everyone. I may have found one. It's a 2011 35i with 64K miles on it. It doesn't have all of the options but most of the good ones.
Super clean and the asking is $15,500. I'm really fortunate to have a great BMW mechanic as a next door neighbor who offered to look it over first. The dealer has no problem with letting him take it to his shop for a look see.
It doesn't have the 20" rims but it turns out that I have to have them, I'll get them later.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 04:26 PM   #14
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansbmw View Post
Nice E70 in your signature
Appreciate 0