XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #45
Texmexm5
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

How much you asking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by do_0b View Post
a month ago or so someone was selling used ones for $1400
How much do you want for them?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 08:52 PM   #46
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmexm5 View Post
Quote:
For my custom ones? They charged me over $600 to make them, that wasn't including the materials which I bought to have them made. I'd sell them for $600... I wrapped them in DEI gold heat wrap as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-24-2018, 02:05 AM   #47
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9vapors View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmexm5 View Post
Quote:
For my custom ones? They charged me over $600 to make them, that wasn't including the materials which I bought to have them made. I'd sell them for $600... I wrapped them in DEI gold heat wrap as well.
Those look great.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 1
9vapors650.00
      02-20-2019, 07:12 PM   #48
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Whatever happened to the end results of all these lol
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #49
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgz View Post
Whatever happened to the end results of all these lol
Im not sure I understand your question... It's on my car and running without issues. I've not had it dyno tested or anything, but it with the Velos tune stage 2+, downpipes, custom exhaust etc, my car feels great!

If you're looking for sound clips I have in cabin and with the door open sound clips in my journal.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #50
ncbimma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5M

Garage List
The next question will be when will you be making these for us all and for how much.

I prefer aluminum with some pretty stacked dimes on those turns.
Appreciate 2
9vapors650.00
      02-20-2019, 08:24 PM   #51
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbimma View Post
The next question will be when will you be making these for us all and for how much.

I prefer aluminum with some pretty stacked dimes on those turns.
I wish I could weld. In NY when I lived there, or MD when I lived there, there were shops everywhere that I could have make this sort of thing. Here in Des Moines, I have a muffler shop that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:21 PM   #52
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Im not sure I understand your question... It's on my car and running without issues. I've not had it dyno tested or anything, but it with the Velos tune stage 2+, downpipes, custom exhaust etc, my car feels great!

If you're looking for sound clips I have in cabin and with the door open sound clips in my journal.

I dont see the videos.....do you have a link to your Journal page.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 11:29 PM   #53
9vapors
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgz View Post
Quote:

I dont see the videos.....do you have a link to your Journal page.
9's X5M https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1548291

I have vids on pg1, and then again on pg4 after installing the x-pipe...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:06 PM   #54
chris604
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Looks like the beginning of mine...you've got a ways to go though.
NICCEE!!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 06:05 PM   #55
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
9's X5M https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show....php?t=1548291

I have vids on pg1, and then again on pg4 after installing the x-pipe...
Damn! That spool sounds nice.
Appreciate 1
9vapors650.00
      10-20-2020, 06:13 PM   #56
jdelfino88
Registered
Rep
Drives: f85 X5M

where are the MAF sensors?

Where did you mount the MAF sensors?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 07:53 PM   #57
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelfino88 View Post
Where did you mount the MAF sensors?
There are no mafs for this engine.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 07:54 PM   #58
jdelfino88
Registered
Rep
Drives: f85 X5M

Lucky you lol
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 09:47 PM   #59
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
anyone interested in making this and selling it? I wish RK had a lesser expensive material .

Quote:
This is the 3"- 3.5" coupler to 90 degree 3.5" round piping to oval piping option. Will require some imagination and cutting/welding... both lengths of piping have plenty of extra to hack off and lend to pie cuts or other options.
      06-22-2022, 12:28 AM   #60
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Would love it if someone made a more affordable option for a 13 year old platform. Unfortunately where I am CF or ABS Plastic would be the best material to manage the extreme heat we have.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:25 PM   #61
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Would love it if someone made a more affordable option for a 13 year old platform. Unfortunately where I am CF or ABS Plastic would be the best material to manage the extreme heat we have.
I've been playing around with different intake designs for the N63 for the past year, it wont take much to adopt any N63 design to work on a S63, even easier in a way as don't have to worry about the MAF's on the S63 for the turbo inlets. I did a complete redesign from ram air inlets to cold air intake, air filter boxes, and turbo inlets to vastly increase airflow over the stock 50i setup. This design would increase airflow on the M as its stock airbox and tiny skinny filters are not much better then the 50i's.

I have invested thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours(with some help from a forum member) in machines and in high-temp thermoplastics which can handle the 250+ degree temps that the parts see (turbo inlets during engine shut-down) under the hood in the AZ heat. I have about 6K miles on the latest setup now. The industrial thermoplastic I am using prints at 600 degrees, is tough as hell and as to be expected, basically the same stuff BMW uses on their factory intake manifolds from the except with carbon fiber fill instead of glass fiber BMW uses to save $$$.

While the performance increase has been amazing with this latest setup, I am not satisfied with sub 2K rpm throttle response and part-throttle driveability. This is due to the MAF's being to close to the turbos and the turbulence it creates as I have found out with the uber short turbo inlets with the latest design.

I have played around withe laminar airflow guides for the MAF's which help but after seeing Dinans latest intake for the G05 X5M, I have decided to swallow my pride and go back to the drawing board and come up with a similar design for the E70 50i & X5M. I originally was trying to stay away from locating the airboxes over the valve covers but Dinan's new design is brilliant and I am going to adopt this for our platform.

I will start a new thread once I have some new prototypes up to see if anyone else is interested. Will take me about a month or so to get to that level....The intakes above alone consumed over 6lbs of filament and over 140 machine hours printing so it takes along time to get to a prototype level.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 06-27-2022 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2022, 07:54 PM   #62
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
Looks great. Would definitely buy
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 01:35 AM   #63
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
I've been playing around with different intake designs for the N63 for the past year, it wont take much to adopt any N63 design to work on a S63, even easier in a way as don't have to worry about the MAF's on the S63 for the turbo inlets. I did a complete redesign from ram air inlets to cold air intake, air filter boxes, and turbo inlets to vastly increase airflow over the stock 50i setup. This design would increase airflow on the M as its stock airbox and tiny skinny filters are not much better then the 50i's.

I have invested thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours(with some help from a forum member) in machines and in high-temp thermoplastics which can handle the 250+ degree temps that the parts see (turbo inlets during engine shut-down) under the hood in the AZ heat. I have about 6K miles on the latest setup now. The industrial thermoplastic I am using prints at 600 degrees, is tough as hell and as to be expected, basically the same stuff BMW uses on their factory intake manifolds from the except with carbon fiber fill instead of glass fiber BMW uses to save $$$.

While the performance increase has been amazing with this latest setup, I am not satisfied with sub 2K rpm throttle response and part-throttle driveability. This is due to the MAF's being to close to the turbos and the turbulence it creates as I have found out with the uber short turbo inlets with the latest design.

I have played around withe laminar airflow guides for the MAF's which help but after seeing Dinans latest intake for the G05 X5M, I have decided to swallow my pride and go back to the drawing board and come up with a similar design for the E70 50i & X5M. I originally was trying to stay away from locating the airboxes over the valve covers but Dinan's new design is brilliant and I am going to adopt this for our platform.

I will start a new thread once I have some new prototypes up to see if anyone else is interested. Will take me about a month or so to get to that level....The intakes above alone consumed over 6lbs of filament and over 140 machine hours printing so it takes along time to get to a prototype level.
That's great news and thank you for detailed information and write up. If you need someone in 125f++ and high humidity to test it let me know. Would be happy to help. All you'll have to do is show me how to read IATs on The X5M (Tools needed).......

So, in my Point of view, I still feel, for the X5M an RK design is better as the filters are out and away from the engine heat and in dorect clean cool airflow in front of the car. The problem for me personally with an over the VC Intake is the extreme heat created by the motor, turbos and no escape and the ambient heat here in Bahrain from the roads and ACs running etc. reaches up to 149f.

No, i kid you not. I was a senior official and marshal for F1 in Bahrain since 2004 until recently and was in the pits and trackside as well. Used to see the Pirelli guys do the measurements all the time in March time frame when its nicer. Still we were above 125f on track and 110 air temps. For Example July and August here are the hottest months and right now the temps at night are from 95-105f LOL with high humidity sometimes.

RK Style would be easy to clean as well as i'll have to do that every few months because of the dust and sand here.

I know I am possibly going to be your only customer from this hot and dusty of a region but I just wanted to provide the info above. Also an Improved RK Style intake would be cheaper to produce and benefit the buyer as well.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2022, 10:49 AM   #64
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's great news and thank you for detailed information and write up. If you need someone in 125f++ and high humidity to test it let me know. Would be happy to help. All you'll have to do is show me how to read IATs on The X5M (Tools needed).......

So, in my Point of view, I still feel, for the X5M an RK design is better as the filters are out and away from the engine heat and in dorect clean cool airflow in front of the car. The problem for me personally with an over the VC Intake is the extreme heat created by the motor, turbos and no escape and the ambient heat here in Bahrain from the roads and ACs running etc. reaches up to 149f.

No, i kid you not. I was a senior official and marshal for F1 in Bahrain since 2004 until recently and was in the pits and trackside as well. Used to see the Pirelli guys do the measurements all the time in March time frame when its nicer. Still we were above 125f on track and 110 air temps. For Example July and August here are the hottest months and right now the temps at night are from 95-105f LOL with high humidity sometimes.

RK Style would be easy to clean as well as i'll have to do that every few months because of the dust and sand here.

I know I am possibly going to be your only customer from this hot and dusty of a region but I just wanted to provide the info above. Also an Improved RK Style intake would be cheaper to produce and benefit the buyer as well.
I hear ya on the high temps, AZ is very similar to Bahrain, 116-118 is pretty common here in the peak of summer, you definitely have us beat in the humidity though, thats brutal!

You have a point and perhaps simpler is better with the filter outside of the engine compartment design. Would be much easier to design and make. After thinking about this some more, I think I will design and make up a prototype mounting the filters outside the engine compartment directly in the air flow and compare its performance before I try Dinans way. With its simple design, I should be able to have a prototype made and testing by this time next week. Will report back once I have this done.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 06-28-2022 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2022, 11:07 AM   #65
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTV8M View Post
Looks great. Would definitely buy
Thanks, I'm going to explore a couple of other designs, will PM you once I have it settled and ready to make a few sets.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 11:10 AM   #66
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:

I hear ya on the high temps, AZ is very similar to Bahrain, 116-118 is pretty common here in the peak of summer, you definitely have us beat in the humidity though, thats brutal!

You have a point and perhaps simpler is better with the filter outside of the engine compartment design. Would be much easier to design and make. After thinking about this some more, I think I will design and make up a prototype mounting the filters outside the engine compartment directly in the air flow and compare its performance before I try Dinans way. With its simple design, I should be able to have a prototype made and testing by this time next week. Will report back once I have this done.
Thank you for listening brother and understanding. Yes very similar, I got married there so I remember lol.

The only thing is bahrain being small and congestion with a lot buildings and car all running AC 90% of the year raises the ambient temps so 120 becomes 140 easily on the measuring device.

I can't wait to see the new prototypes and the filters you choose please check if there are filter socks to go with them as that'll help her with the dust and sometimes rain too.

Again thanks for doing this.
Appreciate 1