XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
DallasBeemer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35i Vermillion Red

Passenger restraint system failure on X6

Started my X6 last night and got this warning on the screen: "Passenger restraint system failure." Took into my dealer and they diagnosed the problem as a side curtain air bag issue on the driver's side. Had to order a part, and should have the car back tomorrow. Will advise if anything further is worth reporting. This is the first problem I've experienced with it - I still love it. For reference, car has 6,400 miles on it and it's a 35i.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

sorry to here of your trouble, I have covered 3100 Miles now with the P-Tronic box fitted and No problems at all. Fuel economy is 32 MPG at 80ish MPH
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBeemer View Post
Started my X6 last night and got this warning on the screen: "Passenger restraint system failure." Took into my dealer and they diagnosed the problem as a side curtain air bag issue on the driver's side. Had to order a part, and should have the car back tomorrow. Will advise if anything further is worth reporting. This is the first problem I've experienced with it - I still love it. For reference, car has 6,400 miles on it and it's a 35i.
Well at least you didn't have to find out about it when you needed it
      11-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

I should have waited for another couple of days to see if the message comes back. ., ,electronics. . .
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBeemer View Post
DallasBeemer,

Is your X6 Vermillion Red and at Classic right now? If so, I saw it last night when I was walking thru the service bay. My X6 is there right now and has been there for 6 days. They are having to send a senior engineer in to try and diagnose the steering issues I am having. They have updates all modules and software updates and have no clue what to do next as it is throwing no fault codes but they can duplicate the problem. This is the second time I have had car in for this same problem and if they do not get it fixed this time I am going to work with my SA and try and get BMW to buy it car back from me and I will get either an '09 with new iDrive or wait for the Hybrid version depending of how much of premium they want for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
DallasBeemer,

Is your X6 Vermillion Red and at Classic right now? If so, I saw it last night when I was walking thru the service bay. My X6 is there right now and has been there for 6 days. They are having to send a senior engineer in to try and diagnose the steering issues I am having. They have updates all modules and software updates and have no clue what to do next as it is throwing no fault codes but they can duplicate the problem. This is the second time I have had car in for this same problem and if they do not get it fixed this time I am going to work with my SA and try and get BMW to buy it car back from me and I will get either an '09 with new iDrive or wait for the Hybrid version depending of how much of premium they want for it.
Shenard,

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. What are the symptoms? Sounds strange to be looking at software solutions for steering problems (although I know pretty much every component has a chip controlling it these days....). I hope you get to a satisfactory solution one way or another soon - 6 days troubleshooting on a new car is a long time IMO.

Cheers, Anteater
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Shenard,

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. What are the symptoms? Sounds strange to be looking at software solutions for steering problems (although I know pretty much every component has a chip controlling it these days....). I hope you get to a satisfactory solution one way or another soon - 6 days troubleshooting on a new car is a long time IMO.

Cheers, Anteater
Problem I have been having is when accelerating between speeds of 40-80 the steering wheel will stick almost like it is slightly locking and can you definitely feel it because you have to use a little more force to turn it out of the stuck position. Dealer first hooked up computer and test drove and got a few fault codes and thought problem was due to losing power steering so they replaced the power steering pump (not easy on X6 as the entire intercooler and other parts have to be removed). This did not fix problem and I brought back to them two days later and now they have updated every software update and module (took 6 hours) and when they got to the last module which controls power DSC and power from wheel to wheel and front to back the system kept failing and freezing. They have tried to update 4 times with no success and car is not driveable right now because when you start the car the DSC warning light comes on and they said they have no clue what would happen if you tried to drive the car and front or rear differential could lock up. Now they have to send in a senior engineer from Spartansburg to diagnose problem because if they do not fix the problem this time then they only have one more shot at it before having to buy the vehicle back from me. It sucks because they have had my X6 a total of 10 days. I am out of town for 9 days so I told them I expect it all fixed by the time I return.

The only fun part is that I have had a 535i sport for loaner and it is sure fun when you turn TC and DSC off!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #8
DallasBeemer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35i Vermillion Red

Shenard,
Yes, that's mine. Sorry to hear of the troubles you're having. Hopefully they can figure it out and you can be on your way.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
DallasBeemer,

Do you have active steering?
      11-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #10
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
+1 curious about this also, I have AS.
      11-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #11
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

This thought came to me when been taken out by a friend for a test drive with an 35D with AS: "How are they doing it?!? They should have a stronger servo pump for this gadget".

It seems not only the IDrive needs an upgrade.

Sorry about your trouble, Shen.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
No. They actually said that if I had active steering that it would have been easier to diagnose the source of the problem because X6s with active steering monitor everything related to steering and a problem like mine would throw a fault code whereas mine would not without AS.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No. They actually said that if I had active steering that it would have been easier to diagnose the source of the problem because X6s with active steering monitor everything related to steering and a problem like mine would throw a fault code whereas mine would not without AS.
shenard,
Wow now that is weird. Since AS monitors speed to adjust steering resistance it would make a lot more sense if you had AS. So you have to wonder, without AS there should not be anything interfering with the steering.
      11-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #14
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

My family also owns a Smart fortwo from 2001 and it has a similar system. The direction gets stiffer when steering at a higher speed. But that was stock on the car, not an extra option.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #15
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
shenard,
Wow now that is weird. Since AS monitors speed to adjust steering resistance it would make a lot more sense if you had AS. So you have to wonder, without AS there should not be anything interfering with the steering.
My service advisor said something about the X6 still having servotranic steering or something like that and even though it does not have AS it still has several modules that work with steering and adjust different aspects of steering such as power steering pump and how much it assists, etc. Not sure and at this point don't really care because I just want the problem either fixed or I want BMW to buy back the vehicle and let me order an '09 if they cannot fix it.

Still love the X6 when it is working right and most likely would not change my decision on this as a future replacement unless the 5 series was available with the twin-turbo V8 engine but I doubt this will come out until late 2009 because they want to sell as many new 7's with this engine first.
Appreciate 0