XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-14-2008, 02:21 AM   #1
stevebmw3
soon E90 325i,auto,gray,terra,spor t pkg,NAV
Rep
Drives: was E46,fut. E90

Haaaaalleeellluujjjjaaahhh - FIRST NEW I-Drive PICS !!!

Hi Everybody.

Please look at the LATEST BMW Magazine issue(Autumn 2008) to the page # 66.

There is a tiny pics of X6 with new I-Drive !!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Thank you for paying attention.

STEVEBMW3 -------- CALGARY
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 04:10 AM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

great news,but mine doesnt have it! and that sucks!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebmw3 View Post
Hi Everybody.

Please look at the LATEST BMW Magazine issue(Autumn 2008) to the page # 66.

There is a tiny pics of X6 with new I-Drive !!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Thank you for paying attention.

STEVEBMW3 -------- CALGARY
Yes, I've seen this article and the pictures a while ago (when I first received the magazine). The particular X6 pictured is the Hybrid version if I remember correctly.

I had the opportunity to play/test the new iDrive system and it is awesome. SOOOO MANY improvements over the current (2nd and 3rd) generation systems I am used to. I use the iDrive system a LOT and based on what the new system has to offer, I changed my order to the march 09 production run. I didn't really want to wait this long, but on the other hand, if I got my car now and then 2 to 3 month later they come out with this system, I'd be kicking myself for not waiting...
I know there are some people that say they don't care about these 'gadgets', but for me, it is worth to wait to get the new system. If you get a chance to try the new iDrive, go and play with it for a bit, you'll see what I mean!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

This is good I guess , don't really care that much about idrive. I use it to set things and maybe see playlist if using ipod instead of dvd changer. Checking fluid levels is cool but still not sure I like being dipstickless. everyone has things that are must have and every list would be different.
      11-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
drrosnrosn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ordered BMW X6 35i

Very cool, this appears to confirm the rumors that it will be included in the X6 soon. Up to this point I was a little skeptical.

I agree that this new iDrive is a very sweet feature. the graphics are great, the navigation system is unbelievably cool, but nicer than any aftermarket system I've seen and blows away every factory installed system. The polish of the interface is much crisper and the whole system is quicker and more responsive. When it comes down to it, I personally cannot wait another 4 months and for me, the included iDrive is a massive upgrade (I have a 9 yo Nissan Maxima).

Sounds awesome though.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The pictures that I had seen up to now it looked real nice. Being a software engineering I have to wonder why they just could not do a software upgrade to one I have, after all it's only 3 1/2 months old.

I guess they have to justify the additional $3k some how but makes me wonder how many of these things are technical issues vs sales issues (oops sorry marketing, sales opportunities).

I know that the folks in this forum that have been waiting 9 months for the iDrive to come out before getting their X6 will be VERY happy.
      11-14-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I would assume that the new iDrive system is based on a different Processor. The entire platform (electronics) is most likely different. The major difference is that the new system is HDD based vs DVD drive based. The new system loads substantially faster than the current systems. Which makes changing menus quicker, selecting different options are quicker and overall, the system is more responsive. The display has a higher resolution (the 7 series even has a larger display measuring 10.2 inches!). I'm not sure if the X6 will get the larger display (10.2" vs 8.8") but it will get the higher resolution version for sure. If I remember correctly, the new displays have a 1280 x 480 resolution. You can even do a google search right from the car... Not sure if that is a good thing, but it is interesting none-the-less.... It will run on the EDGE network so speed is not overly fast but still decent. The advantage is that you do have a larger screen vs say an iphone or other type of pda.

As for the current generation systems, I wish they would have some software updates with nicer graphics, but that's only cosmetics. There are a few things that bug me about the current systems, e.g. no search feature if you are looking for a specific bank, gas station, etc. It makes you scroll through a list which can be quite annoying and can take forever...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
I would assume that the new iDrive system is based on a different Processor. The entire platform (electronics) is most likely different. The major difference is that the new system is HDD based vs DVD drive based. The new system loads substantially faster than the current systems. Which makes changing menus quicker, selecting different options are quicker and overall, the system is more responsive. The display has a higher resolution (the 7 series even has a larger display measuring 10.2 inches!). I'm not sure if the X6 will get the larger display (10.2" vs 8.8") but it will get the higher resolution version for sure. If I remember correctly, the new displays have a 1280 x 480 resolution. You can even do a google search right from the car... Not sure if that is a good thing, but it is interesting none-the-less.... It will run on the EDGE network so speed is not overly fast but still decent. The advantage is that you do have a larger screen vs say an iphone or other type of pda.

As for the current generation systems, I wish they would have some software updates with nicer graphics, but that's only cosmetics. There are a few things that bug me about the current systems, e.g. no search feature if you are looking for a specific bank, gas station, etc. It makes you scroll through a list which can be quite annoying and can take forever...
The current iDrive lets you search for specific banks, businesses, etc. I use it all the time.
      11-14-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
drrosnrosn
Enlisted Member
Rep

The new iDrive is HDD based, the improved resolution is very noticeable, the maps are more interactive and the navigation system's display is upgraded significantly. It is easier to navigate between different sections (nav, entertainment, phone, etc.) as the hardware surrounding the controller is changed. Apparently, internet connectivity is a new feature that will allow you to customize settings via the internet and have the car download the information. Personalization and customization is easier to achieve. I had the chance to play with it in a 2009 M3 and thought hard about delaying my order, I just can't envision waiting much longer. The screen is noticeably sharper and clearer. To those who do wait, congrats.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
The pictures that I had seen up to now it looked real nice. Being a software engineering I have to wonder why they just could not do a software upgrade to one I have, after all it's only 3 1/2 months old.

I guess they have to justify the additional $3k some how but makes me wonder how many of these things are technical issues vs sales issues (oops sorry marketing, sales opportunities).

I know that the folks in this forum that have been waiting 9 months for the iDrive to come out before getting their X6 will be VERY happy.
good point.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #11
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrosnrosn View Post
The new iDrive is HDD based, the improved resolution is very noticeable, the maps are more interactive and the navigation system's display is upgraded significantly. It is easier to navigate between different sections (nav, entertainment, phone, etc.) as the hardware surrounding the controller is changed. Apparently, internet connectivity is a new feature that will allow you to customize settings via the internet and have the car download the information. Personalization and customization is easier to achieve. I had the chance to play with it in a 2009 M3 and thought hard about delaying my order, I just can't envision waiting much longer. The screen is noticeably sharper and clearer. To those who do wait, congrats.
couldnt agree more!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #12
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

A close up of the same image as above (scanned rather than photographed).

Name:  X6 New iDrive BMW Magazine Autumn 2008 1.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  104.8 KB

And here is the article from the Autumn 2008 BMW Magazine for those that do not get the magazine and are interested in reading it...

Name:  X6 New iDrive BMW Magazine Autumn 2008 2.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  242.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #13
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
..... You can even do a google search right from the car... ...
So did they go all the way and allow for wifi keyboard ?
or it still twist knob to letter and click.
      11-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #14
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
So did they go all the way and allow for wifi keyboard ?
or it still twist knob to letter and click.
WiFi keyboard or bluetooth keyboard would be nice, but I don't think so.... at least from the limited amount of time I had spent with it, I didn't see any such options
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 07:00 AM   #15
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

cool,thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 08:22 AM   #16
drrosnrosn
Enlisted Member
Rep

For text entry it is a little simpler, no keyboard display. It almost looks like an old rotary-style telephone. A-Z is listed around a circle, clockwise from 7 to 5 o'clock, you twist the iDrive knob to arrive at the letter of choice. Very quick and clean interface.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #17
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrosnrosn View Post
For text entry it is a little simpler, no keyboard display. It almost looks like an old rotary-style telephone. A-Z is listed around a circle, clockwise from 7 to 5 o'clock, you twist the iDrive knob to arrive at the letter of choice. Very quick and clean interface.
It's still about the same as it was with the previous generation iDrive controllers. The only difference is that they now show it in a circle rather than a straight line. I think the only advantage is that the new system lets you go all the way around (e.g. say you want to spell 'WAY' and you are at the letter 'W' and the next letter would be a 'A', you can just keep scrolling ... WXYZA and then back to ZY). I don't think the current system jumps from the end back to the beginning of the alphabet...

Anyway, that's the way I think it worked back when I played around with it...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #18
drrosnrosn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sounds right, I don't have much experience with the old iDrive to compare.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 06:33 PM   #19
Laurent
Rep
Drives: 2008 Range Rover sport

So what is the ETA on the new idrive for X6...still March 09 production ?

any confirmations?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #20
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
So what is the ETA on the new idrive for X6...still March 09 production ?

any confirmations?
I had called BMW Canada and also talked to the general sales manager at my dealership and they both told me that the X6 will get the 'new' (next or 4th generation) iDrive system starting with the March 09 production...

The same has been reported by other sources on the net. So hopefully nothing gets in the way and we should see the new iDrive system sometime around the end of March beginning of April in the X6...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #21
Laurent
Rep
Drives: 2008 Range Rover sport

Quote:
I had called BMW Canada and also talked to the general sales manager at my dealership and they both told me that the X6 will get the 'new' (next or 4th generation) iDrive system starting with the March 09 production...

The same has been reported by other sources on the net. So hopefully nothing gets in the way and we should see the new iDrive system sometime around the end of March beginning of April in the X6...
Thanks, glad to hear that..

Budds in Oakville claims end of 2009 , no sooner...
Obviously they are worried about freezing the demand...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #22
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
Thanks, glad to hear that..

Budds in Oakville claims end of 2009 , no sooner...
Obviously they are worried about freezing the demand...
You could call some other dealerships around and see what they have to say about it. If you do, please post some feedback as to what they told you. Thanks...
Appreciate 0